Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
Apparently a Dulles Captain refused to fly an aircraft after a long duty day full of MTC delays. The aircraft had a deferred autopilot and the trip was IAD-HSV or a similar route. Pretty long block to hand fly at the end of a long day.

There was a spare but dispatch refused to swap. CP pulled the Capt offline and assigned the trip to a RR. The RR also refused the aircraft. Anybody know more details?

Who is this POS ASSISTANT chief pilot?

You are either fatigued or not. It has nothing to do with the mtc discrepancies on the aircraft. You can't tell the CP that you're fatigued if the AP is deferred but not fatigued if you get an aircraft that has a working AP. Gotta be more to the story.

I know a few people who were trying to be forced to fly busted equip in iad and the dtw chief is a ******************************. it's all about completion factor with total disregard to safety and common sense when dealing with him. I flew with him before he was a chief and he was not anything like he is now . the power/jobtitle has gone to his head .

You are either fatigued or not. It has nothing to do with the mtc discrepancies on the aircraft. You can't tell the CP that you're fatigued if the AP is deferred but not fatigued if you get an aircraft that has a working AP. Gotta be more to the story.

You're absolutely right. There is:
1. fully alert like you just had 10 hours of sleep, your morning run and a venti starbucks; or,
2. dog-arsed tired like you can't even make it to your car.

There is nothing in between. It's either yes or no. Black or white, off or on, true or false.

I've NEVER refused an aircraft with the autopilot deferred......but I was alert, rested and felt confident it wouldn't be a problem EVERY time I've accepted the plane.

But if I ever do, I expect to be supported and treated like a professional who knows what I am doing and my limitations.

We need to make sure PIC authority is respected at this POS company.

We need to support this Captain.

Latest resources

Back