• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA DTW CP pulls IAD pilot offline for refusing aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a similar issue with a ATL CP back in 1999. Refused a E-120 because of no working radar. Area forecast showed TP in the vicinity. I refused the airplane with out a radar. This former CP freaked out, and then made me and him fly the trip. (Removed the FO to prove to me that it was not needed) Of course we got a new radar control panel and blasted off.
In the end the radar was needed, but the action desire for you to fly an airplane with a perfectly legal deferral was the same. Stand your ground, you do not have to sign the dispatch release. One thing I learned from this is, be tactful and forceful. Do not refuse a jet on a company radio freq, and call them on the phone.

If they want to have administrative action on a pilot, so be it, but you have a moral and legal obligation not just to the yourself, but to your passengers and FAR's. They will get over it, but if they do not the grievance and arbitration process are great at resolving these sort of things.

I thought we were paid to FLY airplanes? If we can not do that job without an autopilot, we need to find a different profession.

If you are one of the guys/gals who are not confident enough in your abilities to hand fly, you should be looking for a different job!

Good for the CP for pulling them offline.

It's not C.H....It's K.H. and he sounds like a really neat guy.

Unless you're him, who the F... cares!
I do have to say that if you refuse for "no AP" only, that on its own it is a bit lame.....

Last edited:
An autopilot deferred, by itself, is no problem. In fact I'm a staunch advocate of being able to hand-fly the airplane (raw data if need be) in any configuration at any time.

But, here's that thing:

Accidents (and incidents) are usually caused by many links in the chain. These links are usually not significant risks by themselves, i.e., deferred autopilot/pack/apu, weather, long day, FNG, short runway, etc. Many of these links are inevitable, and we willingly take them on knowing they are part of the task at hand.

At some point, though, the known links eventually, add up to make an unsafe situation - especially when we consider the latent risks inherent in any flight. It is up to pilots to decide when there are already too many links in the equation and either remove some of the links, or cut the chain altogether.

Unfortunately, the type and number of links allowed is not spelled out in black and white. And, there is only ONE person on the planet who can make that call.

P.S. I've had dispatch and MX change their tune most ricky-tick when informed their was a fed in the jumpseat right behind me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back