• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Bad news is out.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some of you think that just because a pilot works for a union carrier means that every pilot there is in favor of the union. Even though a new union vote to reaffirm ALPA at ASA may pass, I wonder what percentage would vote no.

If ASA pilots were offered a choice;

A) Continue with ASA and ALPA and being the redheaded step child of Skywest

or

B) dissolve ASA and get integrated by date of hire into Skywest pilots' senority list without a union or any chance of a union vote in the forseeable future.

Hmmm! I wonder what most of the ASA pilots would choose? And most of you at ASA on here that talk trash would probably be first in line at Skywest's door.

Why would we give up ALPA and merge with Skywest? Our new seniority list would immediately become useless without union negotiated contractual provisions?

Here's what I can find:

Only one SKW aircraft overnights in ATL, a 900. Only six 900s currently fly into or out of ATL on a daily basis. Cities seved by those 900s: BIL, COS, ELP, HOU, IAH, IND, MKE, ORD, and PIT for a grand total of 22 flights.

Only one 200 flies into and out of ATL on a daily basis to CMH and STL for a grand total of four flights.

Only four 200s fly into and/or out of CVG and LGA on a daily basis to CMH, LEX, OKC, OMA or YYZ for a grand total of 20 flights. One of these 200s does those four flights from/to ATL.

One 900 flies into or out of CVG on a daily basis to IAH, MSP or ORD for a grand total of four flights.

Why would we give up ALPA and merge with Skywest? Our new seniority list would immediately become useless without union negotiated contractual provisions?
Your contract is garbage to begin with. It's not even worth the paper it's written on.
Look at what is going on, ALPA pilots are losing their jobs to other ALPA pilots who fly the same equipment, but for cheaper. Sounds like a real solid Union to me!!!!
Just pay your dues and don't ask any questions.

Your contract is garbage to begin with. It's not even worth the paper it's written on.
Look at what is going on, ALPA pilots are losing their jobs to other ALPA pilots who fly the same equipment, but for cheaper. Sounds like a real solid Union to me!!!!

Now that is just dumb. SW pilots got their new goodies after the ASA contract was ratified. Obviously, it's worth something to your group as in money in your pocket. While ALPA has it's faults and there a bunch, to say the SW group got nothing, well you can't fix stupid.

I hear ya', but why then are our D0 and A14 numbers where they are?

We have almost no control over D-0 or A-14. It's easy for SKW to say they have great performance out of ATL when they have a handful of planes to deal with here and park on A and B. We have well over a hundred and we park in D (and sometimes C if you're a 70/76 seater) at the busiest airport in the world. If we were based out of SLC, we would see SKW numbers.

Delta knows this, they aren't dumb. Ever see DL performance out of ATL? They're not much better.

There is not one single Skywest pilot who is stupid enough to think that as a pilot group, they would be where they are without the threat of a union coming on property.

As a pilot group, they are freeloading on the efforts of unionized pilots.

It's that simple and every one of them knows it. They are getting the benefits without paying the dues or sweat. That's fine to a point, but I think they could do better with the union on property. They wouldn't have to wait for the rest of us to raise the bar. They could be part of the process.

They are just as damaging to the industry, if not more, than the shortsighted pansies at Mesa who have allowed that farse of a pilot group to stain the very idea of what a union is.

Just as an example; Wouldn't it be nice to have had some input into that PBS system at Skywest? And now because you guys bend over like prison girls, our PBS negotiating position is weaker.

Form an in-house maybe, but at least do something besides free-ride!!!

Here's what I can find:

Only one SKW aircraft overnights in ATL, a 900. Only six 900s currently fly into or out of ATL on a daily basis. Cities seved by those 900s: BIL, COS, ELP, HOU, IAH, IND, MKE, ORD, and PIT for a grand total of 22 flights.

Only one 200 flies into and out of ATL on a daily basis to CMH and STL for a grand total of four flights.

Only four 200s fly into and/or out of CVG and LGA on a daily basis to CMH, LEX, OKC, OMA or YYZ for a grand total of 20 flights. One of these 200s does those four flights from/to ATL.

One 900 flies into or out of CVG on a daily basis to IAH, MSP or ORD for a grand total of four flights.

That's twenty-six too many flights out of ATL on a daily basis...

We have almost no control over D-0 or A-14. It's easy for SKW to say they have great performance out of ATL when they have a handful of planes to deal with here and park on A and B. We have well over a hundred and we park in D (and sometimes C if you're a 70/76 seater) at the busiest airport in the world. If we were based out of SLC, we would see SKW numbers.

Delta knows this, they aren't dumb. Ever see DL performance out of ATL? They're not much better.

All in all, I agree you you. In an indirect way, that's kinda my point. As pilots, we are already doing everything we can to make these metrics look good for ASA. I think that when the fall schedule drops our hours, we will once again see improvements in our performance numbers.

It's my hope that Delta realizes the drop in our numbers is more atributed to their schedule and their ground handling than our services as a regional.

Here's what I can find:

Hardly enough to make up for the furloughs.

I know us flying in ATL and CVG causes heartburn for some guys at ASA, but the argument that if ASA was doing the flying instead of OO would have prevented the furloughs isn't holding.

Regardless, I wish ASA could have found some flying to compensate for Delta's reduction in block hours (pro rate flying for DL, or pick up some UAL stuff).

Latest resources

Back