Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I keep flopping back and forth on this issue! 350 hour pilots in RJs, are they adequate FOs? What kind of captains will they make? How long before they are upgraded? Creepers! I put this on the fractional section because we all travel on the regionals so frequently.

NO!!!!!

This "they're logging PIC time, not instructor time" argument doesn't hold much weight for me. How you log your time and what you call it is an FAA thing. What the requirements of your job are is something the airline should step up and define. Given the current state of the industry, I think regional airlines should hold captains' boards, interview upgrade candidates based on their capacity for both PIC & training/mentoring abilities. I see too many captains who feel they are entitled to the left seat simply because their seniority number came up. The regional airlines should really demand more than that.

Instructors get paid more to instruct......If you want me to instruct.....then pay me to instruct.....

In addition, scheduled 121 flight operations should never be used to teach primary flight skills....If you can't use proper crosswind technique....then you need to go learn in C172.....not an RJ and definately not in an ATR.....

This "they're logging PIC time, not instructor time" argument doesn't hold much weight for me. How you log your time and what you call it is an FAA thing. What the requirements of your job are is something the airline should step up and define. Given the current state of the industry, I think regional airlines should hold captains' boards, interview upgrade candidates based on their capacity for both PIC & training/mentoring abilities. I see too many captains who feel they are entitled to the left seat simply because their seniority number came up. The regional airlines should really demand more than that.
I'm with you, what we need is more mentoring. A good attitude goes a long way in this industry.

Let me give an example of 2 kinds of captains I flew with as a "500 hour wonder."

Captain #1- Didn't have the same opportunities I had, instructed until well over 1000 hours, flew cargo in piston planes until over 2000 hours, etc. They just couldn't relate to me. This kind of captain didn't let me make decisions on my own, just took over during crunch time if I wasn't doing something "their way." They'd also bad mouth my fellow FO's behind their back for everything they did wrong. These kind of people are also the kind who don't give helpful tips, just tell you to memorize the whole FAR/AIM before you fly with them again.

Captain #2- The mentor, may have had a similar background as Captain #1, but makes an effort to relate to the FO. They see a good attitude in an FO, and work with it. The mentor lets the FO fly as much as possible, and make decisions while staying alert for possibly hazardous conditions. The mentor doesn't necessarily have to "go easy" on the FO, in fact, they hold them to a high standard, and consistently challenge their minds with varying scenarios that they've encountered that the FO may not have.

Which kind of captian would you want to fly with?

I often have guys in the right seat sigh and say that their "brain is full" they're "overloaded." All I can say is "that's a good thing, take a break, study some more be prepared for more tomorrow." They're not my trainees, I'm just mentoring, but there's a certain level of satisfaction in my mind when these guys become captains and still come to me with questions. Not necessarliy for my pride in being a "know it all," just that I'm glad to help, because I've had some really good mentors and I want to be the same.

Let me give an example of 2 kinds of captains I flew with as a "500 hour wonder."

Captain #1- Didn't have the same opportunities I had, instructed until well over 1000 hours, flew cargo in piston planes until over 2000 hours, etc. They just couldn't relate to me. This kind of captain didn't let me make decisions on my own, just took over during crunch time if I wasn't doing something "their way." They'd also bad mouth my fellow FO's behind their back for everything they did wrong. These kind of people are also the kind who don't give helpful tips, just tell you to memorize the whole FAR/AIM before you fly with them again.

Captain #2- The mentor, may have had a similar background as Captain #1, but makes an effort to relate to the FO. They see a good attitude in an FO, and work with it. The mentor lets the FO fly as much as possible, and make decisions while staying alert for possibly hazardous conditions. The mentor doesn't necessarily have to "go easy" on the FO, in fact, they hold them to a high standard, and consistently challenge their minds with varying scenarios that they've encountered that the FO may not have.

Which kind of captian would you want to fly with?

I often have guys in the right seat sigh and say that their "brain is full" they're "overloaded." All I can say is "that's a good thing, take a break, study some more be prepared for more tomorrow." They're not my trainees, I'm just mentoring, but there's a certain level of satisfaction in my mind when these guys become captains and still come to me with questions. Not necessarliy for my pride in being a "know it all," just that I'm glad to help, because I've had some really good mentors and I want to be the same.

Great post! I can tell you really understand the meaning and responsibility of calling yourself a professional pilot. Some of my best experiences as a pilot have been when I was able to reach back and help someone who was struggling with their flying.

PA31,

Sweet Avtar!

701EV

Joe- i'll give you this- you're consistent. a moron, but consistent.
Good post there time builder. You can tell, among other things, that you're secure in your abilities. It's usually the one's that f' up a lot who don't like to mentor-- they never did the requisite work in the first place. How could they mentor? Good thing though Joe- you are teaching, whether you like it or not... Just the FO's aren't telling you they're learning what not to do.

ALIMBO,

I realize you think you have mastered how to fly an airplane. Just remember this.

You don't know what you don't know.

You are barely safe enough to take your mom around the patch. You will find out once you get some real world experience how little you actually know right now. Be humble when you land your first gig. Don't beat yourself up over the lack of knowledge and percieved skill you thought you had. You come off as some omnipotent jackass when in reality you're just another low time pilot who thinks he knows it all. Close you mouth and open your ears.

I hope that this was you barely flying at all cause i think I mastered x-winds at around 100-120 hrs.

If that kid is flying a prop, I don't think its a big deal.

What are you smoking?!

I have 3000 hours in the Beech 1900, just over 1000 in the CRJ and now close to 1000 in the Airbus. The Beech 1900 in the hands of a low time pilot is scariest of all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back