Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G4dude

I keep flopping back and forth on this issue! 350 hour pilots in RJs, are they adequate FOs? What kind of captains will they make? How long before they are upgraded? Creepers! I put this on the fractional section because we all travel on the regionals so frequently.

I think they are good pilots. They are just lacking experience. As a captain at a regional, I flew with some of these guys/gals. The problem will surface when a weak captain and a new f/o are paired. The lack of experience of both pilots will make for a dangerous situation. Of course I was at a regional a few years ago. Don't know about the current quality.

We all hate that, the regionals, the flying public, you and me. But its not like the regionals have an option, do they? they gotta keep those airplanes manned.

My friend is a captain at a regional, he says "always be ready to say MY AIRPLANE". He did just that last month, his F/O was taking off, the kid wanted to make a smooth rotation, and almost ran off the runway. I think he gave him back the controls during the climb, but the winds were gusting up to 25 at the destination airport, so he took the controls right back.

Let's not forget that was us, 5, 10, 15 years ago....

I've been told the record at IOE for mesa is in the 150 hour range to get someone passed.

How much yah wanna bet somebody just said screw it and signed the kiddo off.

I've been told the record at IOE for mesa is in the 150 hour range to get someone passed.

How much yah wanna bet somebody just said screw it and signed the kiddo off.

If that kid is flying a prop, I don't think its a big deal. The Captain has enough time to react and take the controls, but if he's flying a Jet, hum.......I don't know...

How will Mesa advertse pilot jobs around 2015-
" have you solo? if you have, come and join one of the fastest growing airlines in the country."

You can thank automation for making things a bit safer despite lower-time pilots. Sure, you need the experienced PIC, but most glass cockpits make things a lot easier for the newbies... Plus, they're used to it after years of Nintendo and X-Box.

I once had a RJ crew make a PA announcement that there was weather ahead and since they were running late they weren't going to deviate so tighten up your seatbelt.

We all hate that, the regionals, the flying public, you and me. But its not like the regionals have an option, do they? they gotta keep those airplanes manned.

Actually, they do have an option. They can pay respectable wages and maybe they wouldn't be hemorrhaging experienced pilots. Instead of raising the bar, they lower standards so much that they have to go to pilot factories for fresh starry eyed grads. Also, the flying public doesn't know and probably wouldn't care even if they did know. They just care that their tickets are cheap.

BTW; Not cutting on starry eyed flight school grads. just cutting on the airlines. Hell, I wouldn't have turned down a jet job at 300 hours.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back