Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So who would be the safer bet as captain of that airliner - you as a street captain with 1700 hrs (how much of that is dual given?) and no time in type, or the guy who was hired at 350 hrs with 1350 hrs in type at the airline?

But the point you're missing is that most of us in this industry longer than 5 years came in with 1500+ hours, then accumulated 2000 more as FOs. And most of us had prior 121 or 135 time, or at least a CFI. Today, they come in with 300-500, never instructed or flew 135, and upgrade as soon as the hit the minimums. They don't have time to learn the skills and judgment needed to be a good captain.

Back in the old days (late 90s for you youngsters) "street captains" had prior 121 or 135 time, most likely in type, and most had several thousand hours.

Last edited:
But the point you're missing is that most of us in this industry longer than 5 years came in with 1500+ hours, then accumulated 2000 more as FOs. And most of us had prior 121 or 135 time, or at least a CFI. Today, they come in with 300-500, never instructed or flew 135, and upgrade as soon as the hit the minimums. They don't have time to learn the skills and judgment needed to be a good captain.

Back in the old days (late 90s for you youngsters) "street captains" had prior 121 or 135 time, most likely in type, and most had several thousand hours.

Agreed. It's ridiculous how few of hours some of these FOs have. This is what drives down salaries as well. Why pay someone experienced a top dollar when you can get the newbie who just wants to fly to work for a lot less and do sorta close to the same job. It's also why 70 seat jets are flown for 50 or less seat salaries.

B-rad, you still can't fly worth a damn and you know it! :D

Just kiddin' man...how's life as a waterskier?...you done with training yet?

Dawg you aint neva flown wit me! :beer:

As for the real life...its not too bad, just got all done with training and waiting for IOE. How about you? What are you doing after May?

I get the feeling there's a lot of "look out for the other guy" kind of attitudes on this board. Look at your own postition, are you as experienced as you should be?

Personally, I got into the left seat of my type at 2/3 the company mins.

They log PIC time, not instructor time!!! That doesn't relinquish the fact that the FO should have a certain amount of capability and experience to assist the CA. Its a 2 person crew, not a single pilot operation.

I always thought as Capts as an instructor... Especially now.

Pre-9/11, you would be lucky to get talked to without 1200TT and at least 200 multi. At that time, most places preferred CFI time and some Part 135 single pilot work for multi time...

My, how times have changed.

I always thought as Capts as an instructor... Especially now.

I always thought of them as an instructor only in the subjects you don't learn in training. The kind of stuff the training depts may not even know about since they're not in the airplane day in and day out.

I learned the quirks of the operation from the captains I flew with. These guys helped to expand knowledge I already had. Taught me new ways to process information, and give me new insights.

The other pilots in my class probably got the same kind of online training from the captains they flew with.

How are the 300 hour types going to learn those types of things while still hanging on to the airplane for dear life. You're just not going to process information as well when you're sitting in the cockpit of a jet scared of it. You also can't build on your experience when you don't have any.

My prognostication is these guys will be safe in the left seat when that time comes until they see something new. Then it will be relying on procedures and checklists to bail themselves out of trouble rather than task management, situational awareness, airmanship and decision making. We've all got a few holes in our knowledge and none of us have seen it all. What we do have is some experience to keep things at a manageable level.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back