Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
10 years ago I was low time with 1700/700 when I got hired into the Saab. There are guys getting hired now with commercial certificates that still have wet ink.
So who would be the safer bet as captain of that airliner - you as a street captain with 1700 hrs (how much of that is dual given?) and no time in type, or the guy who was hired at 350 hrs with 1350 hrs in type at the airline?

So who would be the safer bet as captain of that airliner - you as a street captain with 1700 hrs (how much of that is dual given?) and no time in type, or the guy who was hired at 350 hrs with 1350 hrs in type at the airline?

They wouldn't hire you as a street CA with 1700. Bad comparison. But a 1700/700 would make a better FO then the 350 hr wonder pilot. ;)

We all hate that, the regionals, the flying public, you and me. But its not like the regionals have an option, do they? they gotta keep those airplanes manned.

My friend is a captain at a regional, he says "always be ready to say MY AIRPLANE". He did just that last month, his F/O was taking off, the kid wanted to make a smooth rotation, and almost ran off the runway. I think he gave him back the controls during the climb, but the winds were gusting up to 25 at the destination airport, so he took the controls right back.

Let's not forget that was us, 5, 10, 15 years ago....

All of us had 350 hours at some point. We did NOT have a chance at an airline job at that point, however.

Maybe with 800-1000 with some decent ME time.

No way at 350TT. It's not enough experience I think. Too much, too soon for abnormal ops on bad days.

More time in the oven is needed.

I remember the day where I truly realized how to land with a crosswind. Prior to this day a strong crosswind landing was very difficult for me and I just hoped to get it down safe without bending anything. I was flying a 172 and had about 430 hours.

I remember the day where I truly realized how to land with a crosswind. Prior to this day a strong crosswind landing was very difficult for me and I just hoped to get it down safe without bending anything. I was flying a 172 and had about 430 hours.

Which is a perfect time to learn, and not flying around 50+ people.

I dont really know about other guys but I know personally that I didnt have the slightest idea what I was doing at 300-350 hours.In fact I didnt learn how to fly, well how to really fly, until I had my CFI and about 100 DG under my belt.

...but who knows...maybe some are better than others...

What!

I hope that this was you barely flying at all cause i think I mastered x-winds at around 100-120 hrs.

Its more than that they start in the newer T-6 then graduate on to the plane that will fit the one their assigned to. Like the beech400 is for guys going into tankers and cargo. T-38 fighters you get the picture

Actually, they do have an option. They can pay respectable wages and maybe they wouldn't be hemorrhaging experienced pilots.

I will probably get hammered for this, but I don't think it is a pay issue. Raising the pay does not reduce the number of seats to fill. It will not increase the number of pilots to fill those seats either. Previous pilots had to wait their turn and find other flying. I think part of the issue is the rapid expansion of regional slots available. You can't compete for jobs if there is nobody to compete with. Almost Every airline is hiring, including majors, creating even more seats. I believe it is more a supply issue than a pay issue.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back