Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Joe- i'll give you this- you're consistent. a moron, but consistent.
Good post there time builder. You can tell, among other things, that you're secure in your abilities. It's usually the one's that f' up a lot who don't like to mentor-- they never did the requisite work in the first place. How could they mentor? Good thing though Joe- you are teaching, whether you like it or not... Just the FO's aren't telling you they're learning what not to do.

So you think it is OK that we are teaching people how to land in crosswinds in transport category airplanes full of people? So you think it is OK that captains are having to take the controls during the landing flare in transport category airplanes with people in the back? So you think it is OK to be a training pilot without the training pay?

It is you who is the moron.....Please enlighten me as to the reason you think the aformementioned points are OK......

I suspose that Lufthansa captain was "mentoring".....and now his ticket is on the line as were the lives of all of those passengers....

The 121 cockpit is not a flight school....PERIOD....

[How will Mesa advertse pilot jobs around 2015-
" have you solo? if you have, come and join one of the fastest growing airlines in the country."[/quote]

want to know something funny...????

i delivered an airplane to a 777 captain at United who hadn't soloed yet when he was hired to fly for united in the 60's. had 25 hrs of flight time, interviewed to toss bags, and was sent to flight school....

still...am glad i am not a captain at a regional right now with some of the horror stories i've heard.

mookie

The best pilots are always learning and always mentoring. When that mentoring stops- that's when you get 3000 hour pilots who still don't know how to land in a crosswind. You're not giving OE- but it is your responsibility to 'further the progress of the SIC'...

When the market needs pilots- the times they will have will lower and you will have to teach more. Wishing for more qualified applicants won't make it so. But...if you'd like to go work at a major Joe- you can apply and develop yourself enough to get hired and then fly w/ all the experienced pilots you want. Until then- relax and teach a bit- It's very satisfying, actually- and i'll bet $100 that you weren't that good when you first strapped on a turbine.

ALIMBO,

I realize you think you have mastered how to fly an airplane. Just remember this.

You don't know what you don't know.
You are barely safe enough to take your mom around the patch. You will find out once you get some real world experience how little you actually know right now. Be humble when you land your first gig. Don't beat yourself up over the lack of knowledge and percieved skill you thought you had. You come off as some omnipotent jackass when in reality you're just another low time pilot who thinks he knows it all. Close you mouth and open your ears.
I took your mom around the patch a few times and shes been fine each time don't hate cause you couldn't do a x-wind when you first learned how to fly.

Here ia a pearl of wisdom:

The pilots with the fewest stories to tell are both the safest and most dangerous pilots. Draw your conclusions to what I am saying (if it's not too deep for you guys).

ALIMBO,

I took your mom around the patch a few times and shes been fine each time don't hate cause you couldn't do a x-wind when you first learned how to fly.

Alimbo,

Wow...you really can't take advice from anyone. Pure immaturity. Tough words from someone who FAILED out of an instrument course. But that's ok, you've got PC-12 and C-414 experience....

Get a clue...

They wouldn't hire you as a street CA with 1700. Bad comparison. But a 1700/700 would make a better FO then the 350 hr wonder pilot. ;)

I'd say it depends on what the FO was flying for those 1700 hours. As a captain, I've flown with a number of "high" time FO's that were new to the jet world. Some were really good and some were far worse than the 300 hour guys, particularly when it came to attitude and willingness to learn.

It's not the low hours that cause the accident but the manner in which a pilot is constructed that leads to the smoking hole in the ground. We have the technology and the know how to build a pilot who is safe at 300 hours, we just don't have the six million dollars to do it.

The NTSB has caught on. Look for more foundation training safety recommendations from them.

Here ia a pearl of wisdom:

The pilots with the fewest stories to tell are both the safest and most dangerous pilots. Draw your conclusions to what I am saying (if it's not too deep for you guys).

That is a pearl indeed! Well said.

Of course there's a correlation between experience, skill and ability. Like some say, "experience is the sum of your mistakes". Granted, we'd hope to learn the really bad mistakes in something slow and forgiving like a cessna or a piper with out 10,000lbs of paying meat behind you.

The question that the regionals have asked themselves is, "Is a low time new hire safe ENOUGH?"

Most carriers seem to think so. Then again it may only be a matter of time before the proverbial holes line up and blood is spilled. (i.e. new captain, low time FO, and having a bad day)

I think by the years end hiring mins will be closer to traditional levels. The writing's on the wall.

Recession+$106/bbl oil+age 65= I don't need 350 hour jet pilots.

It really is amazing we have not seen more accidents based on the experience level at the regionals.

Well, I would agree with boycaptain, and also offer that most of the good safety record is a very highly structured environment, plenty of support folks, and adherence to SOP's.

You take these same two very low-time pilots and you put 'em in a brand new jet doing 135 on-demand to places like Aspen, Telluride, and other $hitty airports around the globe, with an hour notice to get airborne, trying to get a slot, with folks in the back yelling at you get get there before dark, and history shows a poorer record of safety.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back