• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC Chair message.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it true AAI pilots have grief counselors in the lounges to help some cope with this sli? Read it on another thread.

Where did you read this? If you read it post it. Why would they need grief counselors? If they need it for this then they probably should not be flying. Give me a break.

Is it true AAI pilots have grief counselors in the lounges to help some cope with this sli? Read it on another thread.

No, no grief counselors in the crew lounges. But the company did add a module to recurrent ground school about coping with grief.

I would say it's the MEC's job to do what they think will produce the best deal for the pilot's, period. If the deal was less than what they thought they at least could get in arbitration, than why would they put a "train wreck" out to the pilots to vote on? It's not their fault SWA went back on their word.

I don't recall ever seeing a "guarantee of arbitration" made by SWA. I think the law says arbitration will occur if parties (the pilot groups) fail to agree.

Air Tran's union took a course that assumed that, if they played hard ball, they would get more. They assumed (there's that word again) that arbitration would be their fail safe.

However, SWA has a long history of pushing back HARD when it perceives that a party is being obstructionist or unreasonable. This forumwatches SWAPA negotiators and others warned the Air Tran pilots of that not insignificant fact. As the junior partner in a merger/acquisition there are perils that lurk.

In my estimation the ALPA MEC was too greedy and too militant to look at the SWA track record; too focused on more; and worst of all, they cut the rank and file out of the picture by not allowing them to choose. Ask former or current members of Muse, Frontier or ATA about that track record.

So the company said, "Are you sh-tting me?" when the game paying started and it cranked down hard on the thumb screws. Was anyone really surprised at that? Really? Then the Air Tran pilots took the offer (the parties agreed). Why? Because there are a lot of hidden traps, pitfalls and uncertainties in an merger/acquisition - even as there are in arbitration. Their MEC came to that realization too late in the game.

Air Tran's MEC gambled and lost, end of story.

Last edited:
I don't recall ever seeing a "guarantee of arbitration" made by SWA.

Then apparently you can't read. It was in the Process Agreement, clear as day.

Ah,well. If you say so, I'm good with that. Of course, if the Air Tran MEC was shooting for the moon then perhaps the unspoken arbitration verbiage might have gone something like this, "Pending negotiations being conducted in a serious manner, real membership participation, no delays imposed in order to game the process, and with the company reserving the right to protect its business model." All if which could have been said, I guess. That, however, is like writing, "The sun will rise in the East" into a contract.

In short, they may have said arbitration was guaranteed (was there some small print you or I missed?) but, one would presume, IF ever got to that point and IF SWA didn't start selling off assets, etc. In any case, the Air Tran guys never hung in there to that point ( the ultimate gamble). They voted and signed and arbitration didn't come into play.

It's tough to be militant...and lose. Ask the Muse pilots, Eastern mechanics, etc.
Not letting the Air tran pilots vote on the initial offer clearly was a BAD idea.

Latest resources

Back