• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FBO security trolls who insist on x-raying my tool bag. Just what do you think you're going to detect in the middle of 50 pounds of steel?

FBO security trolls who freak out about my 2.5" pocketknife, but not the aforementioned tool bag. Which one do you think is more dangerous?

FBO security trolls who get upset when I decide to just walk away from the argument and drive the van onto the field.

Those that call up clearance saying, "So-and-so Clearance, Citation xxxDA, INSTRUMENTS to O'Hare, information Whiskey." Whassup w/ that??

The previously-mentioned pilot call of "clearance on request"

The strobe light thing I'm not worried about in the VFR daytime, as some older aircraft (mine included) have only strobes as a means for anti-collision (versus having a red rotating beacon) and the regs say that they should be on (to the best of my memory). Besides, even though I don't do it on the Beechjet, the recent FAA recommendation is that anytime the engine is running (taxi, takeoff, through-flight, landing, taxi) the strobes should be on unless deemed a hazard to other aircraft.

Corporate pilots that can't do a pattern at a non-towered airport, and get ill because "little" airplanes are flying there. Get over it!

I'm sure I'll think of more as time passes,

fb

mechanics who wont bother to try to troubleshoot an intermittent problem because its working when they get to the plane.

mechs who try to coax a broken item to work when they should just fix it. example: they flip a switch off and on repeatedly until it works, then clear the write up as "working" or "could not duplicate".

re the 100 kt ILS in a C-172, well, that's about all an older C172 will do at cruise rpm. As a controller, I can deal with that so long as it's not a busy period. I'm more irritated by the Cessna doing 70 kts with 20 deg flaps from 4 miles out on a sunny afternoon! Then this same guy flies the VASI to flare, floats another 1500' with power to "grease it on", and takes another 2000' to exit the runway. So he takes 5000' of runway to turn off.

Guys who ask for touch and goes at 4 pm on Friday. Are you out of your mind? The final is 20 mi long, and you're number 8. File a flight plan....

Anybody that whines about flying the DP or STAR. 95% of the time, it's a GA pilot. Hey, take your Bonanza VFR in/out of one of the satellite fields. Fuel's cheaper, and I don't have to talk to you at all. This is the same as the guy who says; "Departure, Centurion XXX is leaving fifteen hundred for four, and we'd like direct to......" Dude, you haven't been on freq for 10 seconds, you have no idea how busy I am, and no, I can't ignore the LOAs and route you through the STAR opposite direction.

Anybody who announces ready for TO, then takes 30 seconds to line up, set the DG & clock, fold the chart, file the checklist, and kiss St. Christopher. Meanwhile, that jet that was on a 4 mile final is now on a 2 mile final and doing S turns.

There's 3 guys holding for a satellite field, plus one waiting for release; no, you may not do the published miss back to the FAF to hold for 15 minutes. You're last.

Also, guys who won't use the RCO freq to cancel clearing the runway.

Stuck mikes.

Anybody who doesn't listen to the freq unless their call sign preceeds the transmission. That's always a problem whether it's a busy Tower freq or unicom at an uncontrolled field. You could learn a lot from saying nothing....

I'm ponying up to my ignorance here, but what is the proper call when switching controllers ... I'm one of the people who's been saying "Tampa approach, Cessna 1234X with you at 3000" Until this thread, I never knew I was in the wrong. Do I just cut out the "with you"?

polysciguy9 said:
I'm ponying up to my ignorance here, but what is the proper call when switching controllers ... I'm one of the people who's been saying "Tampa approach, Cessna 1234X with you at 3000" Until this thread, I never knew I was in the wrong. Do I just cut out the "with you"?

Yep...
If you wern't with them, then who are you with.

Pilots asking to deviate for weather when it is only rain. I mean come on you corp punks it will save you some time cleaning the bugs of those pretty slats. I can see if it is a convective cell or something but other then that just FLY and shut up.

I feel better now!!!

rubicon789 said:
Pilots asking to deviate for weather when it is only rain. I mean come on you corp punks it will save you some time cleaning the bugs of those pretty slats. I can see if it is a convective cell or something but other then that just FLY and shut up.

I feel better now!!!

I'm one of those.

If it's green on the screen (downlink wx)....

It could be mean.

I don't mind a little rain, but if it's showing up on the Avidyne...that information maybe a few minutes old and I'm not sure exactly what's in it NOW.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back