Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
91 said:
If you are a professional, at least try to sound like it on the radio.
And even if you are not a professional, there is no reason not to sound like one. Just don't sound like you are clueless, because if you do, you probably are.

Any traffic please advise...

I just heard this peeve yesterday, again. Some guy picking up his clearance with ground control...."Ground, Citation xxx clearance on request to KXXX.." That's a phrase that the controller uses when he/she doesn't have your clearance right away, not for the pilot requesting the clearance. I've noticed that this seems to be popular with ex-mil guys. Is that how they pick up the clearance in the military?

Now, for the hard-asses that say a phrase or word isn't offical speak, neither is good afternoon, have a nice day, or enjoy your weekend. We should keep it professional, but we don't need to sound like a digital atis, either.

Last edited:
91 said:
This is pretty dumb, but here goes...

people who say their callsigns without using the phonetic letters. Example: 123BM is "one two three bravo mike" not "bee em". That always bugged me.

I'll take that any day over the jackhole who makes up his own cute little phonetic alphabet.

I heard "Citation XXX-Sugar-Daddy" calling up ATC the other day. That's right, Sugar Daddy. :puke:

CA1900 said:
I'll take that any day over the jackhole who makes up his own cute little phonetic alphabet.

I heard "Citation XXX-Sugar-Daddy" calling up ATC the other day. That's right, Sugar Daddy. :puke:
However, that phraseology is perfectly acceptable IF the voice on the radio belongs to a 23-year old "hottie" and she's sitting in either one of the front seats of a jet. Honesty is always acceptable.

A 100 years ago, I occassionally flew a ratty old Mooney for a charter outfit in Las Vegas - November "something" "something" Uniform. Even the controllers called us "Mooney XX Ugly. :0

'Sled

This one's easy! Myself!
I hate it when I make stupid-student mistakes! I realize I am a student, but I should be doing better than everyone else!

Picture this...

Three aircraft in the pattern at an uncontrolled field doing touch and go's for the last five minutes. Everyone is reporting position. No problems.

And then:

"XXXX traffic, Citabria xxxx, five miles north, landing straight-in 16, XXXX."

Followed by more position reports of *aircraft doing touch and go's.*

Later: "XXXX traffic, Citabria xxxx, three miles north, landing straight-in 16, XXXX."

You've got three airplanes doing pattern work and you 're too lazy to do a standard entry. Idiot!

Pilots who lack the whole english language concept....On a more positive note there is a KC center guy who always asks how youre doing when you make initial contact, thats not standard phraseology but does a little personality hurt? Tulsa approach has one too, nice guys and very good at their job.

1973Arrow said:
anyone that says 'with you'.....

Sometimes is the instructor's fault though. I've flown with people that have the habit of saying with you because that's what they were tought to do, they are not trying to be cool.

Latest resources

Back