Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
polysciguy9 said:
I'm ponying up to my ignorance here, but what is the proper call when switching controllers ... I'm one of the people who's been saying "Tampa approach, Cessna 1234X with you at 3000" Until this thread, I never knew I was in the wrong. Do I just cut out the "with you"?

Yes, it is sufficient to check in with "Tampa approach, Cessna 1234X, 3000'".

"Could Not Duplicate" as a way of clearing any maintenance writeup.

Mechanics who aren't. Since when did we become a community of parts-changers, rather than airplane fixers?

Anybody who doesn't believe in craftsmanship? Whatever happened to pride in one's work, and living behind one's signature?

People who can't seal a deal with a handshake, and mean it.

Politics.

My ex mother-in-law. Okay, she's not in aviation (unless I get lucky enough to find her on my flight one day, and then she'll be in free fall), but she's still a pet peeve. A big, ugly one. With one eye.

Anybody who strikes children. One of these days I'm going to be in an FBO or terminal somewhere, and someone is going to strike their child in front of me, and they'll be hauling me out in cuffs and that person on a gurney.

Thunderstorms that follow me around when I'm working in the hills. What's the deal?

People who think it's cute to say "why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Jumpers who do hook turns.

Pilots who taxi too fast.

Helicopter pilots who think it's okay to air taxi, hover, or overfly my aircraft on the ground, or land too close.

Chief Pilots who call to put pressure on to take a flight with known mechanical discrepancies or bad weather.

Operators that falsify maintenance.

FAA inspectors who haven't taken their meds.

Incompetence.

Pilots in FBO's who are so above other pilots that they won't dignify them with a reply...I used to get a real kick out of taxiing in a Lear 35, and finding that the GIV driver wouldn't lower himself to speak to me.

Pilots who use their radio to spot traffic. You know who you are.

Arriving at the perfect drop point and discovering a failed to arm the system.

Stalling due to windshear and rotors on a tight base to final to drop downwind.

Spending 45 minutes trying to get my legs to bend enough to climb out of the cockpit at the end of the day and then listening to some near-retirement yahoo talk about how he'd like to do it for fun, in two years.

The Phillips Head screw.

People who release copious quantities of gaseous semi-digested chilly in an enclosed airplane packed with skydivers on a long ride to altitude on a hot day. Whomever says that capitol punishment is not justified as never been there.

People who overtorque the Phillips Head Screw.

Cheap tools, and people who use them.

A life so boring that the biggest worry is how other people talk or don't talk on the radio.

Extreme turbulence.

Stuck altimeters in free fall.

Unions.

People who overtorqued the phillips head screw ten years ago without any antisieze, and all the people who haven't touched it in the intervening years...until now.

Anybody who says, "That's good enough."

Pilots who invent proceedures...every year I run into a few. The ones that are flying a type that's been around for donkey's years, but think that somehow they know more than anybody else...here, try this, I'll show you a little secret...how come nobody else knows, teaches, or tries this "little secret?"

Cracked wings.

Corrosion.

Speculation.

Ground troops that insist on standing too close to a drop and then whine about getting hit.

Government lunch on a quick turn. I'm thankful for the effort, but what mind conceived the idea that someone flying in severe turbulence in a high workload cockpit with both hands already full would like to try to eat a four inch thick sandwich full of sauce, all the vegetables some liberal Republik could hope to offer, and half-cooked bacon, being held together by a single toothpick with a little frilly plastic yellow thing on the end?

White shirts around airplanes.

Pilots who really don't believe that navigation is possible without GPS.

The use of the phrase "any inbound traffic, please advise."

That's a few to start. I'll think of more when I'm awake.

People who don't know how to use the "kick out" method when landing in a crosswind.

avbug said:
Mechanics who aren't. Since when did we become a community of parts-changers, rather than airplane fixers?

Hey Avbug, I did this for a year, would have loved to get my A&P but didn't have $$ and after a year couldn't stand my boss and couldn't make a living working fir him anymore (Full time "part changer" and full time CFI).

inline said:
Multithousand hour pilots who NEVER advise ATC of having the atis on initial call ups and always have to respond to atc that they do indeed have the atis. And they keep doing it.

80% of the time:

Me: Regional Approach, Golden Eagle XXXXX, out of 7 thousand 6 hundred for 4 thousand, information whiskey.

Approach: Golden Eagle XXXXX, roger.

4 seconds pass

Approach: Golden Eagle XXXXX, confirm you have information whiskey.

Me: Affrimative, information whiskey.

I'm sure ATC's busy and thinking about other things, but they seem to most of the time miss that I already tell them what ATIS I have. I think I'll start saying "Automated Terminal Information Service Whiskey". I'll see how that flies.

Multithousand hour pilots who NEVER advise ATC of having the atis on initial call ups and always have to respond to atc that they do indeed have the atis. And they keep doing it.

During a seven leg day, you sometimes forget.

My peeves:

135 pilots in the Out Islands that dont follo AIM procedures for pattern flying.

People who dont talk on the radio enough at uncontrolled fields. No you dont need to have a radio installed but I know you do!

People who think if you fly on your days off for fun you are a dork.

People who fly airplanes for a living and dont have any interest in airplanes.

People who came into this business to make a lot of money.

People who get sick in airplanes.

People who can't or won't or have never done aerobatics.

(Notice I call them people not pilots.)

Pilots who think they came into this whole thing "the right way".

Pilots who start fights with other pilots because who they work for.

Pilots who biatch about their union job but dont come to meetings or grieve thing.

Salaies.

No respect for contracts.

Pilots who think NDBs are for idiots. The truth is you are the idiot who doesnt know how to use the NDB.

Management that doesnt want to run an airline. They think they are running a Walmart. Slashing prices like that stupid yellow dot thing.

Women in aviation who are proud of being a woman in aviation.

Gay pilots who come to work with makeup on and think its ok.

Understaffing for cost savings.

The cost of cable TV.

Gas prices.

Ramp agents at FBOs who hate pilots.

FBOs who treat pilots like crap.

Pilots who use Signature.

Pilots who use max power all the time. Try doing that in your car. I bet you wouldnt want to hurt YOUR baby.

People who should not be allowed to pass a 441 but they let them anyway.

People who fail upgrade or training. No excuse, you are a professional.

People who have flown only: 152/172, PA44, CRJ. Real experience you have there Bob.

Airport "neigbors". Idiots. You knew it was there.

FAA hour requirements for 135. Much to high. Need to be category/class specific.

HGTV, Oxygen, Lifetime, HSN, etc.

Vanity. (yeah im ugly)

Real estate prices in South Florida.

People who dont know anything about how money works. Then they complain they have no money.

Muslim Extremists.

Bahamian ATC.

Pilots who dont like to have fun at work.

Going out fishing all day and catching nothin!

My pizza just got here after a darn hour fifteen so I am dont biatching. Hope I didnt offend anyone.

CYA!!!

The biyatch who got off our plane yesterday in Islip. I hope she's reading this, because I came close to tripping her, just to watch her fall down the stairs into the puddles.

To put it in context, here are a few of yesterday's METARs for KISP around the time we got there:

KISP 121914Z 05015G24KT 1/2SM +RA FG FEW007 BKN012 OVC018 14/13 A3007 RMK AO2 PK WND 05029/1859 P0018 RVRNO

KISP 121956Z 05022G34KT 3SM -RA BR BKN008 BKN012 OVC020 14/13 A3008 RMK AO2 PK WND 06034/1951 SLP185 P0031 T01390133

Sheets of rain blowing across the runway. It looked like a bloody hurricane coming across the airport, with about two inches of standing water on the ramp. The approach was bumpy (duh), but I made a nice touchdown in spite of it.

And you know what this B**CH says to me when she gets off?

"It's a good thing you don't work for tips, because I would not be tipping you for that landing."

"F--- Off." No, I didn't say it, but I wanted to SO badly. :uzi: It would have been worth a few days off of work!

Fine, lady. Next time it rains, I'll divert to Poughkeepsie and you can take a three hour cab ride. Honestly...

CA1900 said:
KISP 121914Z 05015G24KT 1/2SM +RA FG FEW007 BKN012 OVC018 14/13 A3007 RMK AO2 PK WND 05029/1859 P0018 RVRNO

KISP 121956Z 05022G34KT 3SM -RA BR BKN008 BKN012 OVC020 14/13 A3008 RMK AO2 PK WND 06034/1951 SLP185 P0031 T01390133

Sheets of rain blowing across the runway. It looked like a bloody hurricane coming across the airport, with about two inches of standing water on the ramp. The approach was bumpy (duh), but I made a nice touchdown in spite of it.

just your typical Nor' Easter in that neck of the woods. and i thought the idea was to "plant it" not "grease it" in those conditions. where is your sense of humor? maybe you need to lower your pax expectations. :)

CA1900,

I suppose most of all it's attitudes like yours that are pet peeves of mine. Who do you think you are?

You want to cause bodily injury and harm to a paying passenger for her opinion, when you were doing the job you were paid to do? Stay in the cockpit, then. Hide until the passengers deplane.

I've known a few pilots who sounded like you over little things like that...and every one of them should have been on medication or grounded.

Congratulations on your restraint on not tripping or sounding off to the paying passenger. Take a few deep breaths, and forget it.

Latest resources

Back