• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA recalls starting to increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another reason the AA recalls have taken so long is that AA purchased/merged with TWA right before 9-11. The TWA guys were stapled on the bottom of the seniority list and most got furloughed. So, there is no real sense of loyalty to the furloughed guys. It is common practice for senior guys to pick up extra trips to make a few more bucks. This keeps the furloughees on the street longer.

Remember that TWA went out of business before AA bought them, so it wasn’t really a merger in the normal sense. So, the AA guys can rationalize the TWA guys being furloughed. “They are just lucky to have an airline job to be recalled to in the first place” is a common mindset.

Bottom line, APA is a house divided. The ex-TWA guys are sort of considered expendable by the senior AA guys. So, they don’t feel any guilt about them being furloughed for 8+ years.

My humble opinion.

Can't wait to see how the negoitations go this year for the pilot contract. Going to be one bloody battle.

Remember that TWA went out of business before AA bought them, so it wasn’t really a merger in the normal sense.
Not true. TWA never missed a day of operation, and did not go out of business prior to being purchased by AA. While it was an "assett acquisition" negotiated through the bankruptcy process in January-April of 2001, the last flight on the TWA certificate was on August 31, 2004. I know, I was there.

As far as the extensive length of the furloughs, AMR ended up being pretty fat as a result of the TWA deal. They had something like 11 different fleets including F-100s. 717s and DC9s. It was painful, but lile Li' J. said, they did what they had to.

I know what a sensitive subject this is - I did not mean to disrespect any ex-TWA employees. I'm actually under the TWA folks, so I feel your pain. Hopefully, we will all be recalled soon.

aa73,

Seems like if the AA pilot group wanted real change they'd have a plan in place to take the company private, fire the management, replace the BOD in so doing radically alter the poisoned culture of the airline.

Remember, Continental used to be a joke - full of scabs and entrenched and incompetent management. At the owners' (Bonderman [TPG]) behest, Bethune was recruited as the CEO and purged the top ranks of management and rebuilt the culture. We see where they are now.

Unfortunately, the AA pilot culture is merely a reflection of the AA management culture which is to say, "I've got mine." My crystal ball is working just fine and this is what's inside it: nothing is going to change for the better.

I'm sorry- no matter the reason- picking up extra flying when there are guys on furlough is a step above scabbing. I can't believe APA (who i've really respected of late) is allowing that to go on.

I agree about the picking up open time while furloughed, it is scabbing (in a sense). It happens at many airlines not just AA.

I never thought I would say this, especially being a stapled/furloughed TWA/AA'er but, I feel the APA has done more for it's furloughees than I thought. I figured they would shi+ on the TWA guys and forget about us. I haven't seen it. I may be mistaken but I believe they want longevity for ALL furloughees in this next contract. They could have easily have said all nAAtive furloughees only, but didn't.

I do agree that the APA should put pressure on it's pilots to stop picking up open time during a furlough. However, I bet some of the open time is being picked up in STL as well as other domiciles.

Last edited:
I agree about the picking up open time while furloughed, it is scabbing (in a sense). It happens at many airlines not just AA.

I never thought I would say this, especially being a stapled/furloughed TWA/AA'er but, I feel the APA has done more for it's furloughees than I thought. I figured they would shi+ on the TWA guys and forget about them. I haven't seen it. I may be mistaken but I believe they want longevity for ALL furloughees in this next contract. They could have easily have said all nAAtive furloughees only, but didn't.

I do agree that the APA should put pressure on it's pilots to stop picking up open time during a furlough. However, I bet some of the open time is being picked up in STL as well as other domiciles.

Unfortunately many pilots are whores.

Another reason the AA recalls have taken so long is that AA purchased/merged with TWA right before 9-11. The TWA guys were stapled on the bottom of the seniority list and most got furloughed.

Big Slick,

I’m not quite sure where you are getting your information, but the TWA pilots were not stapled at the bottom of our list. I routinely fly DFW to HNL, our most senior trip, with former TWA Captains.

Moreover, furloughed former TWA pilots are coming off the street straight to the left seat of an AA Super 80. This is from a 17 year AA native FO that is still throwing gear.

I’m not trying to drudge up another AA-TWA flight, but just setting the facts straight.

AA767AV8TOR

Latest resources

Back