• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA may not merge with anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2000 plus Natives would be on street if Twa had not been aquired.

That statement is absolute conjecture and assumes that AA would've had to react exactly the same way it did if AMR hadn't purchased twa. The billions in twa debt (not to mention the millions in DIP financing) and the useless STL hub caused a very substantial drain on the AA bottom line, thus forcing drastic measures. My conjectural statement is this: Had Carty not lept into this ill-advised venture, AA would've been in better financial shape and thus able to weather the post-9/11 downturn with much a much smaller percentage of shrinkage. The purchase of twa was the most monumentally unfortunate event in the 75 history of American Airlines...

Last edited:
"Let's forget this myth that if they merge that American will have an economic imperative to merge as well. This [a Delta-US Airways merger] will make the combined entities weaker, not stronger," Mr. Boyd said.

"Therefore, the first thing American should do is encourage them to merge. It will give them a very confused, disoriented competitor. From that perspective it's good," he said. "From the downside, it will also give these clowns on Wall Street more incentive to try and do merger deals."

Boyd is quirky, but he got this one right.

Bye Bye---General Lee

After 9-11 AA had planned to hire 2800 pilots, but since they bought TWA they decided to furlough 2800. It's all so clear to me now. Thanks for enlightening me.

If STL is a useless hub then maybe all those AA FO's can get out of there. I bet some of your furloughed AA/APA (TWA) brethren would love to have a job back and be able to provide for their families.

It's amazing how some of you guys can't be grateful for what you have instead of complaining about your "misfortunes".

Pkober,

You are correct, there is a small handful of those here at AA, but it seems at any opportunity someone just as radical from the opposing side certainly likes to chime in and continue a verbal war, or in many cases start one.

Once again I am sorry for the treatment you received but when is enough enough. Must every single conversation regarding AA turn into a slug-fest?

Regards,

AAflyer

After 9-11 AA had planned to hire 2800 pilots, but since they bought TWA they decided to furlough 2800. It's all so clear to me now. Thanks for enlightening me.

yeah, and then park a number of airplanes greater than the sum of the newly-acquired twa fleet... It was all a big conspiracy concocted to get YOU... This crap has been hashed and rehashed here ad nauseum. Spin the facts any way you want, but the purchase of a debt-burdened, ill-managed and fledgling airline was a mistake of galactic proportions on the part of don carty. It was gigantic waste of hundreds of millions of dollars and all we got from it were some stupid hats that don't even fetch a buck on eBay anymore...

If STL is a useless hub then maybe all those AA FO's can get out of there. I bet some of your furloughed AA/APA (TWA) brethren would love to have a job back and be able to provide for their families.

Hey, that sounds like a terrific idea, then we can get rid of CC and padlock the doors on that decrepid terminal and get out of the charity business altogether... STL might as well be called ORD or DFW since so many of the trips on the bid sheet begin and end with a DHD north or south. STL is a useless hub in the AA system structure. If you don't believe that, just look at what it's become today, an American Connection hub with the token mainline flight sprinkled in to satisfy the requirements of CC.

It's amazing how some of you guys can't be grateful for what you have instead of complaining about your "misfortunes".

Who's complaining about their misfortunes? I'm simply fed up with the incessant anonymous body blows being delivered to AA pilots by disgruntled twa furloughees any message board thread that mentions AA.
[/quote]

my quoting skills need refining...

Last edited:
I knew I shouldn't have posted this. Hey JB guys, you think you are the only ones that get ragged on, guess again..

AAflyer

The big difference is that you guys for the most part deserve it.
Not you AAflyer per say but the other clown "isl2min's"

"Let's forget this myth that if they merge that American will have an economic imperative to merge as well. This [a Delta-US Airways merger] will make the combined entities weaker, not stronger," Mr. Boyd said.

"Therefore, the first thing American should do is encourage them to merge. It will give them a very confused, disoriented competitor. From that perspective it's good," he said. "From the downside, it will also give these clowns on Wall Street more incentive to try and do merger deals."

Boyd is quirky, but he got this one right.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I agree GL, I would much rather watch the train wreck from the stands.
My own personal feeling on this. We have had a good economy the past 4 years, we will head into a down turn soon. Why is that when airlines like to merge? I think a merger or aquisition of that magnitude could be deadly.

While they are busy trying to merge for 2-3 years, the other airlines can focus on running an airline.

AAflyer

That statement is absolute conjecture and assumes that AA would've had to react exactly the same way it did if AMR hadn't purchased twa. The billions in twa debt (not to mention the millions in DIP financing) and the useless STL hub caused a very substantial drain on the AA bottom line, thus forcing drastic measures. My conjectural statement is this: Had Carty not lept into this ill-advised venture, AA would've been in better financial shape and thus able to weather the post-9/11 downturn with much a much smaller percentage of shrinkage. The purchase of twa was the most monumentally unfortunate event in the 75 history of American Airlines...[/quote]

And AA hiring you was a brilliant move?

ils2mins......you are a friggin' idiot.

For some reason, some of you native AA guys (not all) continue to blame the acquisition of TWA as the event that triggered all of AA's current problems. HAVE YOU COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN 9/11?!?!? If I remember right, AA was still HIRING after they acquired TWA.

The FURLOUGHING didn't start till after 9/11, don't you remember? - oh that's right, you weren't the one getting furloughed, it was just us lowly "Kmart pilots" at TWA.

The big difference is that you guys for the most part deserve it.
Not you AAflyer per say but the other clown "isl2min's"

buhzzzzziiiinnnnnngggggg! you really got me there....

You guys f'ing amaze me... You sit there and judge 9000 guys by the actions of the union and a couple of people who post on a message board. I don't come here and kiss the kiesters of twa pilots like a couple of our guys do, so I'm a clown. I can live with that...

Latest resources

Back