• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

787s for Delta? Huh? Rumor alert....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It' important to have scope lnguage that prevents that. We believe we do.

From the Delta MEC resolution AI 08-S09A passed on April 12, 2008:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED the Delta MEC welcomes the Northwest pilots as partners in the building of the new merged airline and looks forward to working with the Northwest MEC to bring about the rapid completion of a new joint agreement to take effect on the closing of the corporate transaction providing immediate parity in rates of pay and further providing for a rapid completion of a fair and equitable integrated seniority list to take effect on the effective date of the new joint agreement....

FDJ,

You're starting to sound like the general. You know your SLI "offer" sucked and your precious resolution isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

All of ALPA is turning against you. Enjoy your bed with management.

Nu

Complete crap, at 130 bbl oil, all airplanes are pissing away money.

How many arbirtrations has DAL been through in the last 20 years? Let's just say, we like our odds.

Yes, all airplanes are pissing away money. But some more than others. All airplanes can't be parked, but the ones pissing away the most money will be the most vulnerable. Mad Dogs suck at fuel efficiency, but -9's are far worse. And I'm sure no one really "likes their odds" in arbitration, but if it comes to that it comes to that. I don't see too many arbitrators forcing -9 pilots into the cockpits of 767's to furlough pilots at another airline that isn't parking planes, but good luck with that if that is the foundation of the "leverage" your negotiators are basing their hard line stance on.

GUARANTEED, that if there are furloughs due to the merger, DC-9's or not, they will be from the combined airline list, arbitrator or not. NWA had no plans to furlough Pre-merger, so how can it be fair if DAL decides to park planes? Any arbitrator will see that, sooner than DALPA thinks from what I am hearing.

I think you guys missed that chance about a month ago. The way it works now is we operate as seperate companies until we agree to operate as one. If you park your 9's then you furlough your pilots. If we park our 88's, then we furlough our pilots. The only way Delta pilots will be furloughed for parked 9's is if we all agree on a joint contract and SLI before they are parked. At this point Steenland and Co. are still calling the shots over there so I don't think Delta can decide to park your airplanes. Once the deal gets closed, then Delta can decide.

Last edited:
Nu:

Redculous. ALPA is not turning against the Delta pilots who negotiated with their management.

You want to cut a deal with your management? Go for it. Oh yeah, almost forgot, your MEC has made itself irrelevant by it's fight everything policy.

There is some truth to your "DAL Final Offer" allegation. That is close to the proposal made by the NWA negotiators that they had not fully evaluated before they tossed it across the table. When the DAL side ran it through their computer models and shared the info with their NWA cohorts the NWA side refused their own proposal.

Nothing about that exchange put Delta's ownership on NWA's proposal. Although, for about 48 hours it was thought they had reached an agreement.

All that water is under the bridge now and the offers are off the table.

We do need to work together, but neither side will get as good a deal as we had.

If you park your 9's then you furlough your pilots. If we park our 88's, then we furlough our pilots. The only way Delta pilots will be furloughed for parked 9's is if we all agree on a joint contract and SLI before they are parked.
Exactly.

If the SLI does not happen by fall, Delta will have to start hiring again to staff the 777's and 737 deliveries.

Nu:

Redculous. ALPA is not turning against the Delta pilots who negotiated with their management.

I have many friends at most every major carrier, and my "straw polling" begs to differ. What your leadership has done is not sitting well with the average line guy at "Airline X". Then again, what do you care. After all, Mr. Moak has made it quite clear on many occasions (long before this merger started to gain traction) that he doesn't care one bit what anybody else at another ALPA carrier thinks of his leadership and decisions. Fair enough, but lots of people out there won't forget this. Will it make a difference? Probably not. Just realize that, from now on when you're walking through the terminal and another ALPA pilot is staring at you, they're probably not admiring the bright shiny buttons on your uniform coat and wishing, "Oh, if only I were fortunate enough to be a Delta pilot."

In my opinion, if Prater had any balls and if this union was actually a union instead of a "gentleman's club", he would cut you guys off at the knees and refuse to sign off on LOA 19. Won't happen in a million years, but it should.... And everybody out there who wears an ALPA pin and a single-breasted blazer understands that.

Spare me your "We need to work together rhetoric." You and your ilk have no desire for us to work together. "We need to work together" roughly translates into, "We think we negotiated the upper hand by sticking a knife in your back, so accept the lot that we give you and quit whining." Ain't gonna happen. You came to the table with a proposal that was unacceptable to us. Then, after you had more or less locked up a back-door deal with your management that you think gives you the upper hand, you come back to the table with a worse deal and expect us to fall all over ourselves to take it "while the gettin's good." You have brought nothing more than a pitifully weak argument to the seniority list integration table. While I admire your leadership's desire to bolster their weak negotiating position and look out for their own pilots, their strategy of resorting to "back door deals" just kind of makes me sick, and by my take it kind of makes most everybody else that wears an ALPA pin to work sick as well.

Last edited:
FDJ,

You're starting to sound like the general. You know your SLI "offer" sucked and your precious resolution isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

All of ALPA is turning against you. Enjoy your bed with management.

Nu

Really? Well perhaps you should ask your MEC Chairman what he did after he was told in late March by the DALPA MEC Chairman that their was a new timeline for a merger announcement.

Perhaps you should ask your negotiating Chairman whether or not he was told that if NWALPA dragged its feet again that DALPA wasn't going to lose another opportunity.

Perhaps you should ask your MEC Chairman how his vacation went and how long it took him to respond to the negotiations that were ongoing.

Perhaps you ought to ask your MEC Chairman if he was offered an opportunity to join in the negotiations and what his response was, before you continue to cast stones.

Oh, that's right, you don't believe in timelines. The entire world must wait on your willingness to act.:rolleyes:

We are where we are. You can choose to participate in joint contract negotiations, or you can choose to light your hair on fire. The invitation is out there, the choice is yours. Just quit blaming others.

From the Delta MEC resolution AI 08-S09A passed on April 12, 2008:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED the Delta MEC welcomes the Northwest pilots as partners in the building of the new merged airline and looks forward to working with the Northwest MEC to bring about the rapid completion of a new joint agreement to take effect on the closing of the corporate transaction providing immediate parity in rates of pay and further providing for a rapid completion of a fair and equitable integrated seniority list to take effect on the effective date of the new joint agreement....

I have many friends at most every major carrier, and my "straw polling" begs to differ. What your leadership has done is not sitting well with the average line guy at "Airline X". Then again, what do you care. After all, Mr. Moak has made it quite clear on many occasions (long before this merger started to gain traction) that he doesn't care one bit what anybody else at another ALPA carrier thinks of his leadership and decisions. Fair enough, but lots of people out there won't forget this. Will it make a difference? Probably not. Just realize that, from now on when you're walking through the terminal and another ALPA pilot is staring at you, they're probably not admiring the bright shiny buttons on your uniform coat and wishing, "Oh, if only I were fortunate enough to be a Delta pilot."

In my opinion, if Prater had any balls and if this union was actually a union instead of a "gentleman's club", he would cut you guys off at the knees and refuse to sign off on LOA 19. Won't happen in a million years, but it should.... And everybody out there who wears an ALPA pin and a single-breasted blazer understands that.

Spare me your "We need to work together rhetoric." You and your ilk have no desire for us to work together. "We need to work together" roughly translates into, "We think we negotiated the upper hand by sticking a knife in your back, so accept the lot that we give you and quit whining." Ain't gonna happen. You came to the table with a proposal that was unacceptable to us. Then, after you had more or less locked up a back-door deal with your management that you think gives you the upper hand, you come back to the table with a worse deal and expect us to fall all over ourselves to take it "while the gettin's good." You have brought nothing more than a pitifully weak argument to the seniority list integration table. While I admire your leadership's desire to bolster their weak negotiating position and look out for their own pilots, their strategy of resorting to "back door deals" just kind of makes me sick, and by my take it kind of makes most everybody else that wears an ALPA pin to work sick as well.

Well said!

I don't work for DL or NW, and work for another major carrier; my 'informal polling' pretty much say exactly what you said.

I totally believe, as many (very very many) out there, that DLALPA 'threw the NWA pilots under the bus.' Not only did they throw the NWA pilots under the bus, but I have no doubt that they will 'back over them' and run over them again, and again; as long as it means they will come out ahead.

That 'alpa merger policy' seems to be working really well, don't you think?? And, Prater is totally useless, and I think his legacy will be presiding over the total destruction of alpa, Very likely.

To Redtail, Nu, and ALL the other NW pilot, I say, like many others out there; that I stand behind my brothers (and by bothers, I mean my fellow pilots, NOT alpa brothers). You guys, are being '$crewed' and will probably be $crewed even worse. In the tough economic times to come, I totally believe, as others have said, that DL manage will carve up NW and keep just the pieces they want. And, the dl pilots will help them do it.

You guys do what YOU have to do. Stay Strong.

DA

Exactly.

If the SLI does not happen by fall, Delta will have to start hiring again to staff the 777's and 737 deliveries.

Maybe, but my guess is that with the tough economic times that are 'still to come' any new a/c May very well just be 'replacement' a/c, with more MD88, 767s and maybe some 757s being parked. The result being a 'net capacity decrease' and very probably NO new hiring.

But, keep drinking the 'koolaid' Tastes good.

For what its worth.

DA

P.S. And, 'if' you are right, and DL does hire this fall, and at the same time, furloughs occur at NW, with parked a/c, and you DL don't 'stand up' and do something about that, then ALL of you should be thrown out of alpa. But, then again, I guess that would make you fit right in at alpa, so Nevermind.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back