787s for Delta? Huh? Rumor alert....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Rumor from some guy on planeblogger (I have no clue who that is, as told to me by a friend--yes I have a friend) says Delta has a "phantom" order for 23 domestic version 787s, to replace our 23 domestic 767-300s (non ERs). The order does NOT supposedly replace any NWA orders, it is totally seperate. I don't know when the order was made, and as I stated it was supposedly a "phantom" order, so it could have been done a while ago. Again, I don't know what version 787 it would be, but supposedly it would replace the DOMESTIC 767s.

I do know one thing though, I haven't seen one 787 fly yet, so it might be awhile if this were to come true. Anyone know Nicalau's phone number? ;)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Rumor from some guy on planeblogger (I have no clue who that is, as told to me by a friend--yes I have a friend) says Delta has a "phantom" order for 23 domestic version 787s, to replace our 23 domestic 767-300s (non ERs). The order does NOT supposedly replace any NWA orders, it is totally seperate. I don't know when the order was made, and as I stated it was supposedly a "phantom" order, so it could have been done a while ago. Again, I don't know what version 787 it would be, but supposedly it would replace the DOMESTIC 767s.

I do know one thing though, I haven't seen one 787 fly yet, so it might be awhile if this were to come true. Anyone know Nicalau's phone number? ;)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sort of like the Chinese MD90's eh?

My guess is that dalpa has agreed with mgt to shift nwa orders to their list in the interest of protecting THEIR members at the expense of others. Kind of sounds like CAL/EAL part 2. Oh well, alpa let CAL back and now we have a president of alpa who benefited from EALs demise. Should we expect more. In the future, after NWs dismantleing and subsequent shift of flying to the soon to be growing Dal all will be forgiven of dalpa by alpa and the only ones bitter will be us former nwa employees looking for work. With dalpas help, the nwa pilots/employees are being backed into a corner, dalpas way or the highway. My guess is once the dismantling/shifting of route authority begins,(we/all nwa employees will have to walk out, Eal pt 2) dalpa will come back with another offer of allowing us to reapply to the new dal to make it look as they are doing us a favor.

Last edited:
Sort of like the Chinese MD90's eh?

So, why did we train all of the CVG pilots to fly the MD90, if SLC was doing fine with the current 16? Sounds like that rumor actually cost DL some money to train people.

Bye Bye--General Lee

My guess is that dalpa has agreed with mgt to shift nwa orders to their list in the interest of protecting THEIR members at the expense of others. Kind of sounds like CAL/EAL part 2. Oh well, alpa let CAL back and now we have a president of alpa who benefited from EALs demise. Should we expect more. In the future, after NWs dismantleing and subsequent shift of flying to the soon to be growing Dal all will be forgiven of dalpa by alpa and the only ones bitter will be us former nwa employees looking for work. With dalpas help, the nwa pilots/employees are being backed into a corner, dalpas way or the highway. My guess is once the dismantling/shifting of route authority begins,(we/all nwa employees will have to walk out, Eal pt 2) dalpa will come back with another offer of allowing us to reapply to the new dal to make it look as they are doing us a favor.

Believe it or not the vast majority of guys here want us to benefit equally from this deal. Nobody wants or will permit gains at your expense. Details are coming out here via MEC roadshows. Give it a couple weeks to settle out before declaring the sky is falling. I wanted no part of this deal but I think when we look back a couple years from now we'll realize it worked out pretty well for all of us. That is, unless we do irrepairable damage before we have all the facts.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I have heard the same - awhile back and way before they were in talks to merge. Time will tell.

My guess is that dalpa has agreed with mgt to shift nwa orders to their list in the interest of protecting THEIR members at the expense of others. Kind of sounds like CAL/EAL part 2.
Is this a serious post?

Eastern was never offered a 20 to 40% raise, equity and relative seniority. Eastern pilots would not have turned down such an offer. Anderson is no Lorenzo, is Dave Stevens a Charlie Bryan?

If you believe your assertion that there are parallels between NWA and EAL, then you would be wide to call your Reps and tell them not to follow their path.

The Eastern pilots fought a truly meanspirited and dishonest foe. Delta is not anything like Eastern and Northwest airlines is a much more successful company than Eastern.

Let us all hope that we are never in the shoes of the Eastern guys.

Believe it or not the vast majority of guys here want us to benefit equally from this deal. Nobody wants or will permit gains at your expense. Details are coming out here via MEC roadshows. Give it a couple weeks to settle out before declaring the sky is falling. I wanted no part of this deal but I think when we look back a couple years from now we'll realize it worked out pretty well for all of us. That is, unless we do irrepairable damage before we have all the facts.

I hope you are right. As it stands now, this whole situation is walking like a duck and quacking like a duck so many at NWA only see one name to call it....

Rumor says Delta has a "phantom" order for 23 787s, to replace our 767-300s (non ERs). ...General Lee
The basis for Jim Whitehurst's statement at Paris Air Show that everyone immediately said was incorrect? It would seem the President of Delta would have been in a position to know about Delta's orders.

I hope you are right. As it stands now, this whole situation is walking like a duck and quacking like a duck so many at NWA only see one name to call it....
Not you also. You've always been reasonable.

Ask, what could provide the best possible outcome to you and your co-workers? The obvious answer is accepting the relative seniority offer would have been the best for everyone financially.

That offer is no longer on the table (the Delta pilots took less). The Northwest pilots are going to have to take less also, but, the sooner the better.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back