• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for dusting this old thread off. I wrote some stuff in the earlier part back when I was a CFI, and I have to kind of laugh at myself for what I thought back then.

Now, I don't even "hear" people say "with you" any more. I mean, they definitely say it, but it never registers as anything but somebody talking on the radio. I still don't really say "with you" ever, but I definitely say my share of things like "twenty-four nine" and "thirty three nothin'" along with a big fat SEE YAAA whenever I can work it in. I think I even said "sweet" on the ramp control freq the other day. It was fun (and so rare that I have occasion!)

And I didn't believe it when this thread was new, but after having given out plenty of those courtesy laughs (all the while thinking "man this guys is tense" or "its going to be a long four days"), I finally see what you all have been talking about. If nothing else it has solidified how I'm NOT going to be as a captain!

-Goose

Aw 2007 the good ol' days, when airlines where lieing and saying they made money. And Hiring 300 hr wonder pilots because of a "pilot shortage"!!!
:rolleyes:

Professional pilots sound like student pilots when they use "with you" in their initial transmissions to ATC. Here's a clue -- ATC knows you are "with them" by the fact you are talking to them! It's redundant and a waste of radio time....especially the stupid "checking in with you". Try dropping the "with you" crap and sound a bit more professional and like you've flown in other parts of the world. Next time you hear "with you" consider how stupid it sounds....and is. It's just a bad habit.

Also...drop the "Any chance..." when what you really meant to do is request something. i.e. "Comair 123 requesting direct xyz".

I bet you have a very tiny tiny penis... How's that for student?

Oh by the way I say the "with you" a lot. But from now on really listen up on the radio and you might hear my new check in " Center, checking in with you, waaazuuuuuuuup doooooog???!"

So would it be OK for an ATC controller to use his own forms of "unique, fun slang, and personalisms" into his communications with pilots? Would you appreciate that?

I can tell you what I appreciate: Anywhere I go IN THE WORLD, ATC controllers sound the same. I'll tell you what: when it's at night, in the weather, and in a third world country (or anywhere in the U.S.), that's a good thing. I know what they expect, and I know what's expected of me.

I don't have time to screw around with anything else. I don't want controllers to try and get "cute" with their own jargon or colloquialisms. I want to hear, AND GIVE, communications that are succinct, clear, and UNDERSTANDABLE, without question. The ONLY way to do that is to adhere to the standard phraseology of the AIM; ICAO; 7110.65 Pilot/Controller Glossary. It's not glamorous; it's not cute; BUT IT'S SAFE. And that's what matters.

So get over yourself. You're not cute. Your'e not amusing. You're not cool. You're just a 'doosh' for deviating from the Pilot/Controller glossary and jeopardizing the safety of yourself, your passengers, and everyone else in the airspace around you.

Try reading some of the perspectives of Don Brown, a 20+ year Atlanta ARTCC controller. Maybe then, you'll appreciate what the guy on the other end of the radio has to say about this subject.

http://www.avweb.com/news/sayagain/

Last edited:
Try reading some of the perspectives of Don Brown, a 20+ year Atlanta ARTCC controller. Maybe then, you'll appreciate what the guy on the other end of the radio has to say about this subject.

That article had absolutely nothing to do with the pilot/controller phraseology.

Come on man. We all know that there's definitely times where you have to keep it standard, and then times when you can relax a bit. The trouble with some guys is that they can't tell the difference, and so they always default to one or the other.

-Goose

Last edited:
So would it be OK for an ATC controller to use his own forms of "unique, fun slang, and personalisms" into his communications with pilots? Would you appreciate that?

I can tell you what I appreciate: Anywhere I go IN THE WORLD, ATC controllers sound the same. I'll tell you what: when it's at night, in the weather, and in a third world country (or anywhere in the U.S.), that's a good thing. I know what they expect, and I know what's expected of me.

I don't have time to screw around with anything else. I don't want controllers to try and get "cute" with their own jargon or colloquialisms. I want to hear, AND GIVE, communications that are succinct, clear, and UNDERSTANDABLE, without question. The ONLY way to do that is to adhere to the standard phraseology of the AIM; ICAO; 7110.65 Pilot/Controller Glossary. It's not glamorous; it's not cute; BUT IT'S SAFE. And that's what matters.

So get over yourself. You're not cute. Your'e not amusing. You're not cool. You're just a 'doosh' for deviating from the Pilot/Controller glossary and jeopardizing the safety of yourself, your passengers, and everyone else in the airspace around you.

http://www.avweb.com/news/sayagain/

Yep...tiny

Latest resources

Back