• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boy, now that I know saying "with you" bothers some people to no end, I'm tempted to say it all the time just to irritate these anal dim wits.

Professional pilots sound like student pilots when they use "with you" in their initial transmissions to ATC. Here's a clue -- ATC knows you are "with them" by the fact you are talking to them! It's redundant and a waste of radio time....especially the stupid "checking in with you". Try dropping the "with you" crap and sound a bit more professional and like you've flown in other parts of the world. Next time you hear "with you" consider how stupid it sounds....and is. It's just a bad habit.

Also...drop the "Any chance..." when what you really meant to do is request something. i.e. "Comair 123 requesting direct xyz".

Shut up.

I know the type. The captain that points out of this small sh!t and the polite FO's give a nice chuckle and then look out their window for the rest for the flight thinking "Where can I access that no-fly with list?"

Who cares?
Exactly. Who ********************in' cares!! Our job is easy, just chill out and quit bitching!

If you studied the Tenerife accident, you would know that the F/O made up his own phrase, "we are at takeoff" which is vague and meaningless...May God have mercy on your passengers.
Wow!

JustaNumber – I have studied the Tenerife accident.

Where exactly is that "we are at takeoff" phrase you attribute to the FO?

Below is the transcript of the combined ATC and Flight Data recorder communications.

Full transcript here:

ATC communications transcripts

Also, check out the interview with Robert Bragg, the surviving Pan Am first officer (link is at the bottom)

Jacob – KLM Captain
Klaas – KLM First Officer
Willem – KLM Flight Engineer
Victor – Pan Am Captain
Robert – Pan Am First Officer
Fernando - ATC

FERNANDO AZCUNAGA: Pan Am 1736, approach. Position please.

ROBERT BRAGG: 1736, just checking that.

VICTOR GRUBBS: Yeah, that's the 45.

NARRATOR: The tower asks the Pan Am plane to report its position, and it's clear from the transcript that the crew still cannot find the turnoff.

VICTOR GRUBBS: It goes ahead. I think it will take us to the taxiway.

ROBERT BRAGG: Maybe he counts these as three.

VICTOR GRUBBS: Oh, I like this.

NARRATOR: The visibility goes up and down by the minute. In the KLM, Captain Van Zanten is worried that the airport will close. There's a good chance he's going to be trapped on the ground, forced to spend the night at Los Rodeos—not an enticing prospect.

JOHN NANCE: Here's what Jacob would have been thinking about: "If I have to shut the operation down and give my guys 12 hours of rest, and myself, I'm going to have to buy outbound rooms, rather, for the passengers, that's for one day. That's going to be a huge expense. I'm going to have a 747 sitting on the ramp, where it shouldn't be, and one less bird to fly the next scheduled trips out of Amsterdam. That's going to cost us a little bit of time and money." But the most important thing, and this is true, is the embarrassment of a senior leader and being unable to make happen what he wanted to have happen.

NARRATOR: At the end of the runway, the plane begins its 180-degree turn. It's just after 5 p.m. The two aircraft are now face-to-face a half a mile apart, unable to see each other in the fog.

JACOB VAN ZANTEN: Okay, we have 700 meters visibility here now.

KLAAS MEURS:Wait a minute, we don't have A.T.C. clearance.

JACOB VAN ZANTEN: I know that. Go ahead ask.

KLAAS MEURS:Uh, KLM 4805 is now ready for takeoff. We're waiting for A.T.C. clearance.

FERNANDO AZCUNAGA: KLM 4805. You're cleared to the Papa Beacon. Climb to and maintain.

NARRATOR: Air traffic control clearance is permission to fly the route once airborne. But it's not permission to take off. That has to be obtained separately.

FERNANDO AZCUNAGA: Las Palmas, V.O.R.

KLAAS MEURS:Roger, sir. We're cleared to the Papa Beacon, flight level 9,0, right turn out 0, 4,0 until intercepting the 3, 2, 5, and we're now...

JACOB VAN ZANTEN: We're going.

VICTOR GRUBBS: No!

FERNANDO AZCUNAGA: Stand by for takeoff. I will call you.

ROBERT BRAGG: And we're still taxiing down the runway.
Pan Am 1736.

FERNANDO AZCUNAGA: Pan Am 1736, report runway clear.

ROBERT BRAGG: Okay, we'll report runway clear.

FERNANDO AZCUNAGA: Thank you, 1736.

ROBERT BRAGG: He asked us were we off the runway, and I responded back negative, we are still on the runway but we will report clear of the runway. That was the last thing I said, over the radio.
We were only taxiing at three miles an hour. Nothing in my mind would have even given me the thought that he was taking off.

WILLEM SCHREUDER (KLM Flight 4805 Flight Engineer):Is he clear then?

JACOB VAN ZANTEN:What did he say?

WILLEM SCHREUDER: Is it clear, the Pan Am?

JACOB VAN ZANTEN:Oh, yes.

NARRATOR: The die is cast. With every second, the KLM is going faster and faster. At that moment, the Pan Am begins to turn off the runway.

VICTOR GRUBBS: Damn! That son of a bitch is coming straight at us!

JACOB VAN ZANTEN: Damn! Come on! Come on! Come on! Come on!

ROBERT BRAGG: Get off!

JACOB VAN ZANTEN: Please!

ROBERT BRAGG: Get off! Get off!
When he hit us, I didn't think he'd done us that much damage, 'cause the airplane very quickly shuddered and gave a "plomp."

Robert Bragg Interview transcripts (surviving Pan Am co-pilot)

Undoubtedly, the CRM was very poor on the KLM flight, the reputation Captain Zanten had amongst other KLM pilots certainly did not help.

Not defending the FO here but Mr. KLM was infamous for not tolerating ANY delays whatsoever – KLM even used his pictures when they were advertising KLM’s on-time-performance.

Mr. KLM

Of course, captain Zanten is not here to defend himself and for that I apologize, but neither are the hundreds of passengers who died.

Last edited:
Justa,

I think that's too big a gap between the "anal" dude and the "drunkfest" dude! You can't seriously be saying that because someone has gotten into a habit of saying "we're with you at 8000" to ATC that he's not a pilot worthy of carrying your family!?! Holy freakin' God man! I've flown with a lotta guys and girls, good and bad, and "with you" is NOT an indicator of skill!

Controller's problem then. If the controller doesn't see you doing what he asks he'll certainly get back to you. You'll be protected from any violation because a clearance is not really completed till acknowledged and if your response isn't on the tape, no violation for you.

I don't think this is true. In the late '90s the FAA issued a interpretive ruling that held a pilot responsible for adhering to a clearance regardless of what (or if) they read back. The FAA has violated GA and airline crews, even if they read back a clearance and even if the controller doesn't correct the pilots' mistaken readback.

So you are coming up on bumfrack,WY. "Bumfrack, Golddigger 123 is with you 230 decending 14,000"

Can you imagine the horror the poor controller experiences when someone suddenly pops up on his scope?

(As he drops his doughnut and coffee)

Geeze, the stress!

This is a stupid thread born of anal retentive individuals.

Latest resources

Back