• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've flown many times where a transmission for us was blocked and we didn't hear it. Noone repeats the clearance, including the controller. If someone didn't say "blocked", we would have not gotten the clearance. I have no problem with someone saying "blocked". You guys need to get a life....truly.

Controller's problem then. If the controller doesn't see you doing what he asks he'll certainly get back to you. You'll be protected from any violation because a clearance is not really completed till acknowledged and if your response isn't on the tape, no violation for you.

Here's another tip to cut down on useless radio chatter: When above FL 180 and the controller tells you about traffic, it's just a courtesy call on his part so you won't be startled or worse yet, make an unnecessary evasive manuever. A simple thanks or have him in sight in response will do...absolutely no need to later clog up the frequency and end up blocking some other transmission to report him in sight --- the controller doesn't care one bit if you have him in sight or if you are IMC, that's why you will hear experienced pilots simply acknowlege the call from ATC.

Since this post is so stupid I'm going to keep adding to it for my own personal humor. Mach 80: maybe you should review basic airmanship knowledge concerning traffic advisories, especially #1 and 2:
5-5-10. Traffic Advisories (Traffic Information)
a. Pilot.
1. Acknowledges receipt of traffic advisories.​
2. Informs controller if traffic in sight.​
3. Advises ATC if a vector to avoid traffic is desired.​
4. Does not expect to receive radar traffic advisories on all traffic. Some aircraft may not appear on the radar display. Be aware that the controller may be occupied with higher priority duties and unable to issue traffic information for a variety of reasons.​
5. Advises controller if service is not desired.​
b. Controller.
1. Issues radar traffic to the maximum extent consistent with higher priority duties except in Class A airspace.​
2. Provides vectors to assist aircraft to avoid observed traffic when requested by the pilot.​
3. Issues traffic information to aircraft in the Class B, Class C, and Class D surface areas for sequencing purposes.​

Actually I never directly critique my F/O and how he talks on the radio. Rather, when someone else says "with you" I simply ask him, with a chuckle, if he ever thought how redundant and totally useless and stupid the phrase is. Usually they say something like - they never thought about it, but now that that you mention it, it IS stupid. I find if they had been saying it, they usually try to stop doing it having now realized how utterly dumb it is.

Now....as to things like "Have a nice day" --- another total waste of time. How mundane and insincere. As if...."I wasn't planning on having a nice day, but now that you mention it, I think I will." I especially like the guys who think they have to ask each and every controller they are "checking in with YOU (and not anyone else) ..how ya doing?" As if whatever the controller responds with...that is, IF he does.....means one iota to the pilot asking. It's like going into a store and the totally stranger clerk asks you "How are you?"...as if they really care...therefore I always thank them for asking and then go into a 30 second speil -- "my ingrown toenail got taken care of, the boil on my back got lanced yesterday and feels MUCH better now that it's almost all drained but I still have a little bandage for the last bit , the VD test results turned out negative, I finally got rid of that thing under my armpit....so I'm doing pretty well...thanks for asking!" Try it when walking in with your wife or girlfriend...she'll be impressed with you and not embarrased at all.

Your a loser! And I wouldnt be afraid to tell you to your face if I was your FO!

Ask a center controller when above FL 180 if he cares whether or not you have the traffic in sight and let us know what he tells you. What you have quoted is geared to VFR below FL180 though it doesn't say so. God that ancient AIM needs revision but the FEDS don't have the time or money.

Last edited:
And by the way....it's flight level "one eight ZERO" ...not "oh". Try "oh" in the rest of the world and you'll sometimes get your ass handed to you.

Controller's problem then. If the controller doesn't see you doing what he asks he'll certainly get back to you. You'll be protected from any violation because a clearance is not really completed till acknowledged and if your response isn't on the tape, no violation for you.

I'm not talking about a violation, I am talking about flying into another airplane, etc. Besides, I don't really buy what you are saying. I don't think it is that way.

Latest resources

Back