• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually I am. My F/Os laugh at all the stupid stuff I point out that people do and most of them say they never thought of it ..........and that I was right.

They are just saying that because you are the captain and they have to keep the peace because they have to deal with you for the rest of the month/trip. I know because when a captain is spewing b.s., I do the same thing just to keep the peace.

I know the type. The captain that points out of this small sh!t and the polite FO's give a nice chuckle and then look out their window for the rest for the flight thinking "Where can I access that no-fly with list?"

Who cares?

LOL! Exactly my point above!

Also funny listning to clearance delivery when you hear, "Airshuttle #### like to get my instruments to KMCO. I mean, How else you gonna get there??? Just sounds like I used to when getting an IFR flying a C172.

Just sounds humorous sometimes, and I get Bored easily and have nothing better to do than pick on stupid people.

Also funny listning to clearance delivery when you hear, "Airshuttle #### like to get my instruments to KMCO. I mean, How else you gonna get there??? Just sounds like I used to when getting an IFR flying a C172.

Just sounds humorous sometimes, and I get Bored easily and have nothing better to do than pick on stupid people.

I remember hearing a guy (COEX) going into EWR, and "requesting a full stop landing". I am sure (I hope) he was just messing around.

But back to the "with you", I use to say that until someone (maybe Mach 80) pointed it out to me, and now it does slightly annoy me to hear that.

My favorite of all time was an American pilot request IFR clrnc verbaitam from the AIM. The controller chuckled and of course the pilot read the clrnc back just like he was refrencing the AIM. I wonder if the captain was giving him sh!t about his phraseology and decided to take it up a notch.

Actually I never directly critique my F/O and how he talks on the radio. Rather, when someone else says "with you" I simply ask him, with a chuckle, if he ever thought how redundant and totally useless and stupid the phrase is. Usually they say something like - they never thought about it, but now that that you mention it, it IS stupid. I find if they had been saying it, they usually try to stop doing it having now realized how utterly dumb it is.

Now....as to things like "Have a nice day" --- another total waste of time. How mundane and insincere. As if...."I wasn't planning on having a nice day, but now that you mention it, I think I will." I especially like the guys who think they have to ask each and every controller they are "checking in with YOU (and not anyone else) ..how ya doing?" As if whatever the controller responds with...that is, IF he does.....means one iota to the pilot asking. It's like going into a store and the totally stranger clerk asks you "How are you?"...as if they really care...therefore I always thank them for asking and then go into a 30 second speil -- "my ingrown toenail got taken care of, the boil on my back got lanced yesterday and feels MUCH better now that it's almost all drained but I still have a little bandage for the last bit , the VD test results turned out negative, I finally got rid of that thing under my armpit....so I'm doing pretty well...thanks for asking!" Try it when walking in with your wife or girlfriend...she'll be impressed with you and not embarrased at all.

Last edited:
Mach 80 during your initial crew brief do you say things like "I'm laid back" "lets keep it standard just like the book says" "unless you have and questions lets go have some" "fun"
If you do great keep it up because with that brief guys will know exactly what to expect. They will already know your going to ride their arss about saying checking in with you

Capt. "I'm mellow...i'll just let you fly the airplane, and let's just have fun."

translation..."I'm' going to ride your ass, I want things done my way (which is similar to the airplane that I flew previously, and we're going to talk about fishng and hunting for three straight days, and I expect you to know every thing about fishing for King Salmon in Yakutat. And I know you are on probation, and I'm good buds with the chief pilot...so watch your ********************."

Mach 80...you nailed it...

Mookie

Here's another tip to cut down on useless radio chatter: When above FL 180 and the controller tells you about traffic, it's just a courtesy call on his part so you won't be startled or worse yet, make an unnecessary evasive manuever. A simple thanks or have him in sight in response will do...absolutely no need to later clog up the frequency and end up blocking some other transmission to report him in sight --- the controller doesn't care one bit if you have him in sight or if you are IMC, that's why you will hear experienced pilots simply acknowlege the call from ATC.

You guys might think I'm a jerk to fly with but I'm not. After 35 years of hearing stupid stuff on the radio and bad radio habits snowball as they get passed down from one generation of pilots to the next I decided to speak up some. Now.....with an ATIS reporting a 6 knot wind...be sure and get your "wind check".

Last edited:
"With ya," and "checking in" aren't the biggest deal. It's non-standard and gets a little annoying when things are really busy out there, but otherwise, there are other things that probably deserve more attention. Any 300+ hour pilot should know better, and I don't say things like that when I'm on the frequency, but I'm not going to throw fits if someone else does.

-Goose

This thread is stupid. I'm going back to read about the guy who crapped himself. Who is with me?

Latest resources

Back