• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I teach my students to say with you at least twice in the transmission, and if they're flying above 5,000ft, to say "checkin' in" and "flight level" 3,500 ft. Also, to voluntarily say "light chop" .. even if there is no light chop. I also teach them to say "on the fishfinder" and "we have the bogey in sight" if they have traffic in sight, if they don't, "no joy." Also, I instruct them to announce "here we go" when cleared for takeoff. I also teach them to say altitudes in decimals, like 2,500ft = two point five.

Also, after every transmission, I have them say "any traffic in the area, please advise," even if the control tower is operating.

Doing my part.

best

ever

Also, to voluntarily say "light chop" .. even if there is no light chop. I also teach them to say "on the fishfinder" and "we have the bogey in sight" if they have traffic in sight, if they don't, "no joy."
Doing my part.
haha, that's great.:beer:

I don't mind the "with you" think as much as I can't stand "O.K., here we go...". What's up with that?

Actually I never directly critique my F/O and how he talks on the radio. Rather, when someone else says "with you" I simply ask him, with a chuckle, if he ever thought how redundant and totally useless and stupid the phrase is. Usually they say something like - they never thought about it, but now that that you mention it, it IS stupid. I find if they had been saying it, they usually try to stop doing it having now realized how utterly dumb it is.

Now....as to things like "Have a nice day" --- another total waste of time. How mundane and insincere. As if...."I wasn't planning on having a nice day, but now that you mention it, I think I will." I especially like the guys who think they have to ask each and every controller they are "checking in with YOU (and not anyone else) ..how ya doing?" As if whatever the controller responds with...that is, IF he does.....means one iota to the pilot asking. It's like going into a store and the totally stranger clerk asks you "How are you?"...as if they really care...therefore I always thank them for asking and then go into a 30 second speil --"my ingrown toenail got taken care of, the boil on my back got lanced yesterday and feels MUCH better now that it's almost all drained but I still have a little bandage for the last bit , the VD test results turned out negative, I finally got rid of that thing under my armpit....so I'm doing pretty well...thanks for asking!" Try it when walking in with your wife or girlfriend...she'll be impressed with you and not embarrased at all.

Wow.....it is unfortunate that you've encountered such problems. I've heard that many people with crap issues often take Metamucil to fix it. Try it sometime, you might feel better.

OMG, I can't believe I just waisted five minutes of my life reading this post. I personally can't stand anal pilots like you mach80. I will forever use the phrase "with You" and "Checking in" from now on, but only together like "checking in with you". I will from now on also add "howdy Ya'll" and " How ya'll doin" when "checking in with you". I will also add "See ya'll later" and/or "ya'll have a good un" when leaving frequency to "check in with" another controller. The phases "tell mom and dem I said hey" and " Ya'll behave now ya hear" will also be infused in my day to day radio chatter just to try and waste your time.. I will say all of this and more with my southern accent cranked up as strong as I can. I can't wait until next week.....

ATC... ---- 1234 contact New York Approach on 127.65..

Me..... All righty, we gonna geebum a call on 27 point 65, Ya'll have a good un now, ya hear.

ME..... Hey New York City, this here's ----1234 I'm checking in with ya'll at 8000. How ya'll doin tonight?

ATC..... Well we're doing Ok, Cross 10 north of Hugenot at 6000... Traffic at 1-2 oclock at 7000, be careful it could be that prick "mach 80" because his f/o sounds really good on the radio but may just be his jepps up his butt sideways.

Me....... Hell new york, ya'll know me I'm always looking, I can't see him cuz the clouds in the way! I'm leaving 8 for 6 ten north of Huge Knot, and looking for the prick.

ATC.... ----1234 Plan on the ILS 4R at Newark, altimeter three zero zero six. Contact Newark 128.55, see ya.

Me....28.55 for ----1234, and 30 aut 6 for the altimeter, see ya'll later.

Me.... Hey Newark this here's ---1234 checking in with ya'll at 6000 ah got the ATIS damn yankee and looking for the prick at 7000.

I think ya'll get the picture

Tally Ho....drive me up the wall...

good buddy doing IOE:

new fo "tally ho traffic, 3 o'clock"

my buddy "you know, the only people who say 'tally ho' are fighter pilots and (english cigarettes) and what did you fly in the airforce?...."

new fo "uh...I was a cfi..."
my buddy "riiiiight..."

I had a jacka$$ captain tell me "You know 'with you' isn't in the pilot controller glossary" I said "yes" and proceeded to use it every chance I got, plus every other annoying thing I could think of. All he managed to do was make the rest of the trip uncomfortable and I was constantly on the look out for every mistake he made and "non" glossary term he used.

Jeesh, why can't we all just get along!?!?!?!?!?!(sarcasm for those of you who don't know)

Latest resources

Back