Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why some jetBlue pilots post such extreme negativity.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capt V if it happened to you and you otherwise had a stellar record with no accidents, incidents, or violations and ended up landing the plane safely with no injury would you deserve to get fired?

Goddam right I would. I would have just endangered the traveling public and exposed the company to millions of potential liability. In essence, I just failed miserably at the job I am paid to do.

I am assuming that you think he should have been fired period.. What if it's you? What if you had the onset of the flu yet didnt show symptoms and as a result didnt know you were sick yet your body was just run down.

You assume correctly. And what if a giant meteor hits the world and shoots a rock up into the engine that nobody saw? What if microscopic little aliens fly their microscopic flying saucer into your ears and put you to sleep for fun? I can do this all day. You are stretching out for anything, making up farfetched crap. What if this, what if that. That's NOT WHAT HAPPENED. The guy f-cked up, plain and simple. He deserved to be fired. If he lied on an ASAP about it, then he DOUBLE deserves to be fired.

Do you suggest calling fatigue and cancelling a flight if the hotel was noisy the nigfht before or you didnt get a perfect nights sleep? Then again how often do any of us get a perfect nights sleep. Lets say you do call fatigue but its your 5th call this year. What then sit down? Firing? PG ? What if there is another medical problem? What if the FO was pressured to change his ASAP ( stated with emphasis ) and it now contradicts your report.

Suggest it? I've DONE it. If you're not fit to fly, it is your LAWFUL DUTY to do something about it. It is also your lawful duty to prepare yourself to be fit to fly when you have a late flight. Document everything. There is a process. It's called a court of law. If the FO is pressured, subpeona him, as well as the company, and ask them both, under penalty of perjury, if that was indeed the case.

What if your chief pilot didnt like you because you have five kids and the chief shoots blanks and they found our their russian adoption was just cancelled and while in a bad mood tells the vp of flt ops that you are lying and recommends termination.. ( just a theoretical )

Then you can sue the crap out of Jetblue for wrongful termination, and you will win. Wrongful termination, despite what you think, does NOT happen every day. The difference is, unlike most of you, I have been out in the real world, and I have worked there. If you f-ck up, you get fired. You don't have seniority and a bunch of crap in place to protect the incompetent. You either do your job well, and act as an asset to your employer, or they will find someone else who will. And that's how it should be. If you do your job well, and make yourself indespensible, you won't lose your job. It's not that tough a concept. All this crap you are making up is PRECISELY what is wrong with America these days. "I fell asleep!! It's not my fault!! Unsafe schedules!! Late at night!! Not my fault!!" Nobody will accept responsibility for their f-ckups. All they want to do is blame somebody else. Blame the company, blame your wife, blame the government, blame God, whatever. Try looking in the mirror. If the guy hadn't fallen asleep, went NORDO, and overflew his damn destination, he'd still have a job.

The issue here is that there is no process.. It works fine until its you..

Me it scares the hell out of me.. If and when i screw up ( and we all will in some way ) am i going to be able to go to the chief tell him i f'ed up and self disclose and file an asap?? Will it be over at that point? Will the chief have a hardon for me because i got a $150,000 3A Arbitration payout and based on management directive recommend me for termination? Do i skip the asap and just file a nasa?

What about if i show up for work and i am taxiing out and discover I have an expired medical? Will i get fired? What if a chief pilot does it?

Then you are in violation of federal law. You f-cked up. It's YOUR FAULT. You deserve whatever is coming to you. Here is the difference between you and the rest of the world:

You have chosen a profession where you are placed in charge of a multi-million dollar asset as well as the lives of 100 plus of the traveling public every time you plop your a$$ in that seat. You should be prepared to accept EVERYTHING that goes along with it. That FAR clause that you captains love to invoke about being the 'SOLE AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBLITY' for a flight, whether you like it or not, applies ALL THE TIME!! It doesn't just apply when it is convenient for you, it applies ALL THE TIME. What that means is that when your a$$ is in that seat, you are RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING that pertains to it......PERIOD. If you f-ck up, it's ON YOU. That is the hazard of the job, and that is the responsibility you ACCEPT. If an FA gets hammered and slaps a passenger, it's YOUR FAULT. If the copilot misses an open cowl on the engine on the walkaround and you take off with it, it's YOUR FAULT. It is not necessarily right, but that is the letter of the law, and you ACCEPTED that the second you stuck those 4-striped epaulets on your shoulder and took that bigger paycheck.

If I go to Burger King, and I order a Whopper with no mayonnaise, and they put mayonnaise on it, the ghetto fry cook that f-cked it up is also responsible. The difference is that the ghetto fry cook did NOT violate federal law or endanger the public by f-cking up my Whopper order. If you want the six-figure salary and the reverence of the public and the company that you claim goes with your position, you'd best be ready to accept EVERYTHING that goes along with it, not just the supposed prestige. Otherwise, go flip Whoppers. You can f-ck up all you want there, and it won't matter.

With no due process and no following of the DRM we allhave very very serious problems ahead that in my opinion puts this entire airline in jeopardy

This thread isn't so much about due process. Due process is there. It is called a court of law. If you believe you have been wrongfully terminated, and you are right, you can and will be a millionaire. This thread is about something that disgusts me personally, which is the general unwillingness of anybody these days to accept the personal responsibilty for their f-ckups. It's never your fault, it's always somebody else's fault, even though there is a clear passage in the FAR's that says it's YOUR fault, which captains love to invoke but only when it benefits THEM. Perhaps I was raised differently. I don't know. I take pride in what I do, and I take pride in doing it well. If I screw up, I'm the first one to admit it. If I screw up bad enough to get fired, then I deserve it.

So what is the threshold? What SHOULD get you fired? Airframe damage? Killing somebody? Crashing and airplane, killing everybody on board but you? What is it? Or should no pilot ever get fired for anything because it's always somebody else's fault?

Every single day millions of employees go to work in this country with no 'due process', screw up, and keep their jobs. There are varying degrees of everything, but quite simply, you and I both have chosen a profession where screwing up is not something that is taken lightly, neither by the company, by the media, or by the public. That is a hazard of the profession we have chosen, and it is something I accept. Hear that? I ACCEPT it. If I screw up on my flight today, and get fired, it's MY FAULT. I'll move on. Perhaps I'll go back to school and get a real job.

But at least I accept it.

Don't confuse the issue. It was said on here that someone was fired for filing an asap. Obviously not true.

The NW pilots did not get there jobs back.

Not exactly, THis is what was said

"Allegedly it was about an ASAP report"

And a Jetblue pilot was fired about an ASAP report. So again what is your point?

Not exactly, THis is what was said

"Allegedly it was about an ASAP report"

And a Jetblue pilot was fired about an ASAP report. So again what is your point?

My point is simple. He was either fired for the EVENT that led to the asap report. Or he was fired for being dishonest in the asap report.

He was not fired for FILING an asap report.

Smarta$$ you are using circular logic. You continue not to believe that a jetblue pilot. Who I know was terminated because of an ASAP report. Another poster gave you his name, and some information about his family. Now if your a JB pilot you can check and confirm the story yourself. Instead you keep saying its not true and then mentioning something about NW pilots. I don't understand what your trying to do here. One of our own needs help. Maybe you can see fit to contribute to his defense fund. You can do it via PayPal or directly.

That is the problem of not having any protection here. If someone accuses you of something. You can be terminated then your on your own to defend yourself. The health care and retirement are substandard. Pay is fair and if thats what your looking for then by all means apply at Jetblue.

My point is simple. He was either fired for the EVENT that led to the asap report. Or he was fired for being dishonest in the asap report.

He was not fired for FILING an asap report.

I feel your pain. Critical thinking and logic just aren't taught anymore.

Latest resources

Back