• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who has left ASA for SkyWest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boyd is something of a legend...mostly phantom however. We tend to see his writings simply roll with the current trends and provide little in the way of future prediction or real substansive value via research; the above post is written like it's a lecture to a college aviation class, not to industry insiders or people of influence. I've studied a lot of business and finance, among other things, and I've never even heard of the terms "competitive value" or "airline value"--why would United have used those in the past when they are seemingly only in Mr. Boyd's own consultant-buzzword dictionary. At least he would have had a little more respect if he used "enterprise value", but suggesting the use of shareholder value is new and different for UAL (or any public company), simply sounds like good writing. If he had any wits, he would have also discovered shareholder value is his "stock certificate"s outstanding times their price (capitalization) MINUS liabilities; it's not simply a measure of stock price. In fact, you can increase shareholder value many ways even with a stagnant stock, notably by paying down or refinancing debt; sometimes asset sales can create more cash than the asset was worth on books, especially if there is a lot of intangible value in it. Don't forget, consultancy is about salesmanship, not necessarily about having the right answers; the fact that Boyd gets quoted all the time only reinforces his perceived validity. He's a see-sawer....and probably a consultant to Frontier

I am reminded of the UPS commercial a few years back where the external consultants came in and gave a big presentation and the hiring company said, "that is great, let's implement the plan!"---to which the consultants said, "we only suggest changes, we don't help implement them".

Dave-

We know that you want to staple ASA pilots to the bottom should there be a merger. However; you fail to accept the fact that Skywest Inc bought us, not Skywest Airlines. There is a huge difference. It is this difference that makes a merger of some sort necessary for both you and me. Without it, you may find that your future is not so bright.

What say you?

I say you're illiterate and unable to comprehend my posts. Or the first word in your alias is describing your current state.

I talk about preserving career expectations and you think I'm talking about a staple job.

I'm quite aware ASA was puchased by the parent company of SkyWest.

You seem to think I'm opposed to an integration.

Where are you getting all these ideas from? Problems distinguishing my posts from others? I'll give you a hint. My avatar has the cool amphib with the GG Bridge in the background. If you don't see the pretty airplane and the famous bridge it's someone else.

Go back and read my posts.
Then reply.

Last edited:
Ok flame on but... ASA was an Acquisition by SkyWest Inc, made possible on the backs of SkyWest pilots. NOT a merger.

Therefore, Fences and(drum roll) ..... Staple!!!!

Dave,

Not sure what I did to earn your scorn, but I'll chalk it up to the same ol' 'if you're not pro-union you must be stupid' attitude of many (not all) of the OC.

Who says I worked for Mesa? I never did. Who says I just started here? I didn't. I have worked for two other airlines, one ALPA one not. Before that I flew in different capacities before coming to the airlines.

I have no idea how you can take what I posted and spew back what you did.

And since you are a CA with the requisite time, why don't you apply to an ALPA airline and move on?

I love the tired old crap from the Unionistas that says you have to be here at SkyWest for some period of time (how long is that, by the way?) before your opinion counts.

Sorry N but I was responding to a variety of your posts on this and the forum where you can't hide behind a screen name. The response wasn't appropriate for that post where you just sort of lobbed an underhanded jab at me.

I admit I could be mistaken that you worked for Mesa. I can't recall which regional you said you worked for. Sounds like you've bounced around a number of jobs. I like to keep the number of indoc classes to a minimum. Hopefully your current job will work out longer than the last few.

Nobody said you can't have an opinion if you're new. It's all in how you express those opinions.

I used to feel the same way you did about unions. Funny how time changes people.

Oh and I hate to break this to you N, but having a bunch of PIC turbine doesn't mean you automatically get job offers from the airline of your choice. Sometimes you can't even get an interview. Go figure. 10,000 guys trying to get a 100 jobs and they don't have a chance to interview everyone. A lot of guys you fly with have had apps in with majors for years. One of the symptoms of SJS is thinking that you will be off to the majors as soon as you hit 1000 PIC. If you're not picky about where you work you can move on pretty quick. But if there's only one or two airlines you want to work for the wait can be long or even indefinite. I already passed on one opportunity to move on because I hate commuting and didn't want to spend 3.5 years to get caught up financially. Mainly it was the commuting.

Plus I believe in trying to make your workplace better rather than just hoping for a better offer. I could easily stay put for quite some time.

Last edited:
Ok flame on but... ASA was an Acquisition by SkyWest Inc, made possible on the backs of SkyWest pilots. NOT a merger.

Therefore, Fences and(drum roll) ..... Staple!!!!

As appealing as that thought might be do you really want 1800 really pissed off coworkers that would like to burn the place down?

The best integrations occur when neither group is overly pleased with the results. Some type of integration where everyone stays in the same percentile could work along with a few years of fences.

SLC was a small outstation for ASA, was it not? Given the small size of the base was it a reasonable career expectation to spend a career in SLC as a captain for a large number of ASA pilots?

SLC topped out at 15 aircraft and 80 crews, IIRC.

ASA hasn't done outstation basing since MCN closed.

I'm not sure what's funnier, this:

I knew it wouldn't last!

Checking in on a daily baisis and not posting is not retiring! But nobody ever accused you of being truthful! BTW, I knew you couldn't stay away!

or, this:

Fins said:
I'll come briefly out of retirement to even up the arguement a little bit.
~~~^~~~ (going immediately back into retirement)

You guys have a more dysfunctional relationship than me and my last stalking victim.

I say you're illiterate and unable to comprehend my posts.

Anytime you'd like to compare IQ's or academic/business credentials - just let me know. Until then...

I believe you have stated, in the past, that you believe that ASA pilots should go to the bottom since you bought us. Am I confused? It seems that you have changed your opinion.

As appealing as that thought might be do you really want 1800 really pissed off coworkers that would like to burn the place down?

Lots of Extremely Pissed off Pilots that have been with the company for lots of years moving up that pay scale. YES I think this is what (not me) Skywest management wants. What better way to get those expensive guys to quit. So they can be replaced with a first year FO with no profit sharing or any of that other crap for at least 2 more years.

(funny how the skywest chest thumper guys never mention that you don't get any profit sharing until after 2 years).

(funny how the skywest chest thumper guys never mention that you don't get any profit sharing until after 2 years).

ATTENTION!!!!!!!

SKYWEST PILOTS DON'T GET OPERATIONAL REWARDS UNTIL AFTER 1 YEAR. THE FINANCIAL REWARDS PORTION COMES AFTER 2 YEARS.

how was that?

I will get the financial reward for the first time next quarter, and yet from what I'm told by ASA pilots, my pay, benefits, and overall QOL is better for being here rather than there even without it.

It was posted by something on the other bashing thread, but, honestly, I don't know anyone here that wants ill toward ya'll. Most, if not all of us never wanted SkyWest to buy ASA in the first place. We don't want your planes, routes, your base in ATL, etc.

Latest resources

Back