Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the dumbest question you've been asked as a pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i overheard a converstion at an airshow where someone was explaining stealth aircraft to another person (both adults). the explanation was that the reason they are so quiet is because of their aerodynamic shape.

while standing in the cabin during boarding:

Q: did my bags make it on the flight?
A: yes.

Pax: which way are we taking off?

Me: (i indicate the direction...20-25kts of headwind for this runway, there is a mountain several miles upwind)

Pax: gee, the wind is really strong today... are the engines strong enough to take off into the wind?

Me: yes.

Pax: shouldnt we be taking off away from the mountain?

back when i was flying a twin otter:

Pax: where is the quietest place to sit in the plane? i have a hearing test in XXX.

Me: (told him some random place to sit...not that it matters in those. then thought to myself "good luck on that hearing test, you'll need it!")

I heard a pax ask another pax how it's possible that we take off in SLC at 1000 and we arive in SAN at 1030. The other pax said it's because westbound flights go really fast because of the earth's rotation
You mean that's not correct? $h!t ... I gotta go find a Flight Instructor. :(

You think being a pilot is bad? Tell people you're a manager at a software company and you'll get thirty minutes of minutely detail PC problems. :angryfire

Minh

scottn2flying said:
I am just curious to find out what the dumbest question a passenger/ stranger has ever asked you while at the airport.
How about in the airplane?

Some guy in the back of a Navajo asks me, "hey, is that the Madison airport?"

I reply, "yes!"

He asks, "Are we landing there?"

I reply "Of course, isn't that what your company chartered my company to do?"

He goes, "Yea, but I didn't know you could land at a commercial airport!"

I flew with a Capt who told me while taking a squirt in PIT, a guy tapped him on the shoulder and asked if he knew where his car was parked as he could not remeber where he had left it.

While working the gate for a regional several years back and delaying boarding due to a heavy rain shower (no jetway) I was asked this by an outbound pax:

Q: Do these planes crash in the rain?
A: Well, sometimes. Is your ticket one way?

passenger boarding an ERJ: "are these planes safe?"

me: "no, they usually crash about halfway there, it's been nice knowing you"

We decided to not use our rental car and take the hotel van since we were only staying a mile from the FBO and only for one night. It turns out that there were some airline pax, a family, that were riding with us to the hotel (they were picked up first). The captain and I were in uniform.

Mom: Wow, you look young (I really do, about 4 yrs younger than what I am)! What do the three stripes mean?

Me: I'm a First Officer.

Mom: So you don't fly yet? Is that because you are too young?

Me: The captain and I share legs, I get to fly every other one. It's because I don't have as much experience as the captain, not directly because of my age.

Mom: Oh...that's a little scary...is it the same way on the airlines?

Me: As far as I know, they share legs there too.

Mom: What does the captain do when you are flying?

Me: Oversees and supervises as well as performing all of the non-flying duties that need to be accomplished.

Mom: Wow...what do you do when the captain is flying? Are you allowed to touch anything?

Me: I oversee and supervise the captains actions as well as perform all of the non-flying duties.

Captain: (jumps in) Maam, the airplane we fly is a two pilot airplane, just like the airliners that you fly on. That means that both pilots are equally important and both are required for the safe operation of the aircraft. We both went through the exact same training and we were both tested to the same standards by the FAA. He watches me and I watch him.

Mom: Oh...I had no idea, he just looks so young!

Captain: You have to start at some age.

She actually said thankyou for the education as we all got off the van. I think she may have learned something...hopefully she will pass it on.

Another incident:

Pax: Is the APU still on? (he has no idea that it is on but it is the only airplane terminolgy he knows and he likes to demonstrate his knowledge)
Me: Yes.
Pax: Why aren't you going to shut it off?
Me: Because this is such a short flight, by the time we shut it down, it would be time to restart it.
Pax: Oh...

Same guy, another time:

Pax: (scanning the engine guages) How come those percent guages (N1 and N2) don't say 100%?

Q. Can you carry my bags? (thought I was a bellman in the hotel)
A. Nope

Q. Am I going to make my connecting flight?
A. Sure

Q. Can you reach the pedals?
A. F#$k off.

Latest resources

Back