What is NJ looking for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of thoughts.

This hiring (or turning down good people) is a joke. NJs was built by the "losers" that couldn't get hired anywhere else, and now they are trying to get away from that. Why? Stick to what has worked in the past. (and no, there are no "losers" here, just the perception).

A friend of mine just got the "you don't fit our mold" letter. 8500hrs tt. 6000hrs of jet. Was an IOE instructor on 2 jet types. Worked Customer Service at an FBO. (not even a phone interview).

Met a girl last week that has a phone interview later in August. Regional FO. 2900hrs tt. Did work as a waitress while in college. (I will try to get an update in sept).

As long as airlines don't hire "the most qualified", we will always have start-ups like Skybus and Virgin.

(heres what I would do...put on your app that you were a waiter for 4 years during college. Hopefully you are old enough that they cannot do a background check on this. Or run out and really get a waiter job. Just a thought).

That is a terrible idea. If NJA found out you lied on your app, it is an automatic disqualification.

These guys are trying their hardest to get on with the finest aviation company in the country and you're telling them to falsify their app??? Come on man. Think before you type!

I went ahead and fixed all your spelling errors for you.

That is a terrible idea. If NJA found out you lied on your app, it is an automatic disqualification.

These guys are trying their hardest to get on with the finest aviation company in the country and you're telling them to falsify their app??? Come on man. Think before you type!

I went ahead and fixed all your spelling errors for you.

Wow, a democrat that doesnt lie.

And where were my spelling errors?

A couple of thoughts.

NJs was built by the "losers" that couldn't get hired anywhere else, and now they are trying to get away from that. Why? Stick to what has worked in the past. (and no, there are no "losers" here, just the perception).

I have no idea where to begin here man.

Ok... um, how bout this.

-Those "losers" are senior to you and will fly something larger than you for the rest of your career.

-Those "losers" kept the lights on until the company chaged to NJA fro EJA and matured to what we have now.

-Those "losers" have, NO DOUBT, learned much in their careers while working here... they've learned on their own, they've learned from others, we've all matured.

I can't say that the process is over, more like it's only begun to take traction in the last few years.

Hiring is broke because the company sent away one of the true crown jewels of the company. NJ screwed up there and I wish here nothing but the best for the rest of her days. We are truly at a loss.

Back to the point... we CAN'T do what always worked... we've grown, and outgrown the ability to run things like we always did.

Pilots NEED to know how to speak, how to deal with issues, to prioritize issues on the line and keep the desires (service) of the Owner in mind while, of course, preserving the utmost of safety.

Those "losers" you speak of have been hauled up by their boot straps to the new service level of the rising tide.

Over time, many will continue to learn much.

What will you learn? Discretion perhaps? Perhaps not...

I have no idea where to begin here man.

Ok... um, how bout this.

-Those "losers" are senior to you and will fly something larger than you for the rest of your career.

What will you learn? Discretion perhaps? Perhaps not...

I think you missed my point. Back in the day, when guys couldnt get hired by UAL or AA, they went to SWA. Most of the SWA were trying to get on with the "majors". Back when UAL, DAL, and AA were hiring boat loads, guys that got hired at UPS or FedEx were laughed at. At Skybus and VA, some pilots look at them as "losers". But reality is for one reason or another, they got passed over for a lesser qualified pilot. They are not losers, nor are the senior Netjets pilots. But as you agreed, senior guys built this company. Were they the "most qualified" of their time? Reading the union board, most of the senior guys admit that they probably couldnt get hired in todays environment. This is what is frustrating. Sure, I got mine and you got yours, but what about those others that are just like us. I never worked as a waiter, but I think that my customer service concerns are as good, if not better, than the next guy.

All I am saying, is why change the profile of who we hire? We fly airplanes. If we crash, we make the news. If we forget to call an owner by his "preferred name", that wont make the news.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if NJ still asks this during the interview but here is another thought.

NJ is a very generous company when it comes to charities. I was asked about any charity work that I did and I told them about my long time involvement with Feed the Children. A recent development had also put the MDA on my donation list and I mentioned that as well.

I'd list any and all recent or past charity/donation work that you have done.

This is only current as of December last year so take if for what it's worth.

A couple of thoughts.

This hiring (or turning down good people) is a joke. NJs was built by the "losers" that couldnt get hired anywhere else, and now they are trying to get away from that. Why? Stick to what has worked in the past. (and no, there are no "losers" here, just the perception).

A friend of mine just got the "you dont fit our mold" letter. 8500hrs tt. 6000hrs of jet. Was an IOE instructor on 2 jet types. Worked Customer Service at an FBO. (not even a phone interview).

Met a girl last week that has a phone interview later in August. Regional FO. 2900hrs tt. Did work as a waitress while in college. (I will try to get an update in sept).

As long as airlines dont hire "the most qualified", we will always have start-ups like Skybus and Virgin.

(heres what I would do...put on your app that you were a waiter for 4 years during college. Hopefully you are old enough that they cannot do a background check on this. Or run out and really get a waiter job. Just a thought).

I am hoping that last part was a joke. Why would you recommend someone lie on an app? Other than the moral side of it, the consequenses of getting caught are long term. Not only will they get disqualified this time, I am willing to wager they will make some sort of list of people who falsify their apps. Probably won't have a chance in the future either.

Really dumb idea!

All I am saying, is why change the profile of who we hire? We fly airplanes. If we crash, we make the news. If we forget to call an owner by his "preferred name", that wont make the news.

It will make the news as far as the owner is concerned. Maybe that is the difference in what Netjets is looking for and what you percieve they should be looking for.

The little things make the difference! That is what customer service is all about.

Latest resources

Back