• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is NJ looking for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To build on what many have already said, from my views most pilot resumes tend to focus on the flying experience. I believe in NJA's case, you need to break that habit and reflect on the total person.

At the experience level they are currently hiring, it is a given that you know how to fly. Promoting safety is a plus, but that should also be a given.

How do you enhance customer service or promote your organization? How do you reach out as a leader in your community?

Quite frankly you need to see yourself as an ambassador not only to aviation, but if chosen, an ambassador to NJ.

Some don't want to be in that role. Some will not understand that role; however, in my opinion, that is the role needed for anyone at NJ---pilot or non-pilot.

I would suggest those applying to revamp your resume/cover letter to reflect a traditional business resume. Include quantifiable customer service/business enhancements. Include your community activities as long as they are not viewed as politically/socially controversial. Sell yourself!

I have interviewed at both SWA and NJ. Both are great companies. In my opinion, other than this phase of the process (waiting----and I think they are trying to work this part of the process out as the dust settles), NJ does it a few notches better than SWA. They do a great job giving you an overview and giving you an open-eyed orientation.

One last suggestion: Read NJ's Mission/Value Statements. I think this will be a good start to see if you/NJ are a mutual fit.

Best of luck to all who want to expand their career. Selfishly, best of luck to everyone I interviewed w/in June. A great group-----of which I hope each buys me a beer!

Cheers!
V

After 9/11 2001 I was furloughed from Continental Express. They offered me a job as a ramper. The official title of the job was "customer service agent" Hind sight, the best thing that has ever happened to me!

So, primary lesson from this post: go get a job at TGI Friday's on the side before you apply to Netjets if you are a high-timed pilot. I hear Dairy Queen is hiring too.

How do you enhance customer service or promote your organization? How do you reach out as a leader in your community?

I'm never in my community, unless you mean the Quality Inn. I do treat the hostess nice though, unless she gives me the smoking room.

Hunterb,

Don't feel too bad....I got the "app. received" email 9 months ago, updated at the 6 mo. point, and have heard nothing. 16000+ TT, 12000+ jet. Almost all Part 121. They probably interview a few of our types to keep a good mix going, but considering the deluge of apps, the odds don't seem too good.

Same boat here...minus the time and experience.

So, primary lesson from this post: go get a job at TGI Friday's on the side before you apply to Netjets if you are a high-timed pilot. I hear Dairy Queen is hiring too.

No, I was trying to say that don't short change whatever customer service experience you might have; no matter how long and how insignificant it seemed. You've gotta give HR something to imagine what kind of customer agent/pilot you are going to be.

we are used to telling technical stories (engine out, hyd failure, etc..). What, when and where it happened? What was affected? How'd you deal with it? What was the result? Use the same format with your HR stories, you'd do fine.

As far as 121 goes: in my interview group in May this year, out of 10, 5 got hired. of the 5, 1 regional 121, 1 737 121, 2 135 bizjets, and 1 mil.

ok here it is.....since HR can be so picky with the 100's of resume's a day they get; You really need to set yourself apart from the others. Something in your app has to stand out. The flight time and type ratings don't mean diddly. I've flown with 10,000+ hour types that can't find new york and guys that meet the minimums who are great pilots.

You need to set your personal bar much higher than NJ's in order to get in here. If you don't get hired, then you need to find out what the other guy did to beat you. It's so competetive here right now it makes the old style interview look like taking a job at burger king. Make sure you got a 4 yr degree, belong to some kinda clan whatever.

good luck

I would agree for the most part.

Your qualifications and experience are requirements not deal sealers. They get you in the door and that's it. If you think you deserve to get hired because you are Joe Jet pilot with 10,000 hours you might want to rethink your strategy. Everyone that comes through the door has an equal shot. This job is image, perception, and social skills more than flying ability. I would even venture to say that personal appearence is as important as your resume.

They want someone who is safe, thinks of the customer first, and looks to not be a slob.

I suggest looking at the stuff that is not on your resume before going to the interview.

A couple of thoughts.

This hiring (or turning down good people) is a joke. NJs was built by the "losers" that couldnt get hired anywhere else, and now they are trying to get away from that. Why? Stick to what has worked in the past. (and no, there are no "losers" here, just the perception).

A friend of mine just got the "you dont fit our mold" letter. 8500hrs tt. 6000hrs of jet. Was an IOE instructor on 2 jet types. Worked Customer Service at an FBO. (not even a phone interview).

Met a girl last week that has a phone interview later in August. Regional FO. 2900hrs tt. Did work as a waitress while in college. (I will try to get an update in sept).

As long as airlines dont hire "the most qualified", we will always have start-ups like Skybus and Virgin.

(heres what I would do...put on your app that you were a waiter for 4 years during college. Hopefully you are old enough that they cannot do a background check on this. Or run out and really get a waiter job. Just a thought).

Latest resources

Back