• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Heavy jet will SWA buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which basically is just turning it on since I've been using it since 1984.

Wow. All I gotta say is WOW. The machine is giving you a hint.... And you probably programmed it wrong anyway. The FMS and VNAV are your friends... It appears obvious you guys might have some problems with INTL flying, especially with that attitude. Some cities in Europe have noise abatement procedures that pretty much necessitate turning the autopilot on ASAP due to noise monitoring systems and heavy fines. But, I bet you guys could hand fly it blindfolded.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Are they any different than SNA?

Are they any different than SNA?

You can hand fly it in SNA, and the noise monitors there are pretty much straight out towards Newport Beach. In Europe the monitors are more numerous usually, and occur down below in turns too. Throw in other distractions like very heavy weight takeoffs due to all of the gas onboard to fly all the way to the US nonstop and lower transition altitudes (29.92 by 4000ft etc), and it's a bit busier than SNA. Your SWA procedure of slamming the nose down after a pronounced power reduction is a bit more than the 757, though. All that is done on the 757 is keeping the pitch up and hitting CLB thrust at 1500 ft, and then flap clean up
3000ft.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Zurich departures are pretty goofy.. Climb thrust right ap on for me.

http://www.fly-sea.com/charts/LSZH.pdf

Oh yea, btw I use the speed brakes on pretty much every flight. I hope the 73 has different needs on descent than the 75. If not, I guess I'm an "idiot", and should ask to practice in my next recurrent sim. I like the ol' tough guy approach/attitude towards flying .. really impressive.

Have a nice day :)

Zurich departures are pretty goofy.. Climb thrust right ap on for me.

http://www.fly-sea.com/charts/LSZH.pdf

Oh yea, btw I use the speed brakes on pretty much every flight. I hope the 73 has different needs on descent than the 75. If not, I guess I'm an "idiot", and should ask to practice in my next recurrent sim. I like the ol' tough guy approach/attitude towards flying .. really impressive.

Have a nice day :)

Yeah, and SWA Bubba calls the speed brake handle "the dumb stick..." No, his wife gave something of his that nickname..... Riiiiight.... Maybe those guys should learn to use that speed brake more often, although it doesn't really work while taxiing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I'm not saying SWA pilots are incompetent or bad pilots, i'm saying as a group they don't understand VNAV and need to ramp up the kearning curve. I say this from personal observation while jumpseating (and keeping my mouth shut) and from conversations over beers with the SWA pilots I know who also live in Vegas and I socialize with regularly. Two of them flew VNAV approachies long before they got hired at SWA and say they are continually amazed at the lack of VNAV understanding coming from the SWA training guys writing the procedures. As was alluded too, they blame the "dumb it down to the -200" mentality the prevailed at SWA for years. The other couple have been at SWA since early 2000 and never did VNAV before. We say "really", "I never knew that", "that explains it" and "why the F are we doing this then" a lot when we talk VNAV.

It's a learning curve and I'll freely admit we didn't understand VNAV for the first 2 or 3 years at Hawaiian. After we finally got a couple of instructors in the training department who did understand VNAV, it took another couple of years for them to get our small pilot group educated.

Yeah, and SWA Bubba calls the speed brake handle "the dumb stick..." No, his wife gave something of his that nickname..... Riiiiight.... Maybe those guys should learn to use that speed brake more often, although it doesn't really work while taxiing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

No, I called it the "idiot stick," not the "dumb stick." And although I didn't personally give it that name, I think I heard that it was named after you, General. :0

Since I realize that you don't have a lot of experience in actually flying an airplane, I'll explain it to you. It's called that, because generally when you have to use it, it's because you messed up, either in your planning or execution (although I suppose if you also use it when you don't have to, the name might apply as well). Obviously there are times when ATC changes the game, and you may have to get down and/or slow down differently than you planned, but using it the other times is what gives it its name. You're wasting energy (gas) and buffeting the plane when you don't have to.

Would it amaze you, General, if I told you that I often fly multiple pairings over many weeks without ever using the speedbrake in the air? And surprise!--I still manage to stay on my designated vertical path. You know why? It's because I actually understand aerodynamics, my airplane's specific characteristics and operation, and the relationship between VNAV operation and energy management. If you actually put down your ice cream sundae and picked up a book every now and then, General, you might actually learn a thing or two about your airplane as well! You know, instead of just randomly pulling levers like a monkey, when commanded by your overlord Flight Management Computer. Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

Bubba

No, I called it the "idiot stick," not the "dumb stick." And although I didn't personally give it that name, I think I heard that it was named after you, General. :0

Since I realize that you don't have a lot of experience in actually flying an airplane, I'll explain it to you.

, General, you might actually learn a thing or two about your airplane as well! You know, instead of just randomly pulling levers like a monkey, when commanded by your overlord Flight Management Computer. Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

Bubba

Do mind telling what real aircraft that is

Bubba. Please do not tell me you still believe in the Easter Bunny .

Latest resources

Back