• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quote it in 4.5 then superstar

I always pay my bets

I have no doubt you would.

Just commenting on the fact that you would bet that by 2019 you'd be flying widebodies and then a few months later state that you would be surprised if they showed up in five years.

Of course if SWA were to acquire HAL next year...

I have no idea what Southwest will do but the 787 is nice to fly. Quietest airplane I have flown burns about 10000# at .86 and gets up to 410 in a hurry. We'll have to see how the stretch versions are as they come on line but the 800 is really nice.

737 MAX flight deck may be close to the 787s?

I would be bet 737-900ERS= Buy Hawaii or Alaska

Nope, the MAX overhead panel is identical to the NG. Still has the goofy "recall" light instead of an EICAS. Bigger screens but same presentation as the NG. Disappointing airplane from a cockpit perspective. There was so much they could have done to bring the airplane back to the future.

Guess I'll be happy if they give the FA's their own thermostat.

Nope, the MAX overhead panel is identical to the NG. Still has the goofy "recall" light instead of an EICAS. Bigger screens but same presentation as the NG. Disappointing airplane from a cockpit perspective. There was so much they could have done to bring the airplane back to the future.

Guess I'll be happy if they give the FA's their own thermostat.

Does the 737 still have packs that can't cool the airplane on the ground with APU air? The Sweatliner! And 787? Sparky the Scab-Wagon? HAHAHA.

Full disclosure: If you got Boeing to build you 767-200s, youd sell all your big 73s. Best airplane ever.

Really?

You want us to add drag every time the fms says so eh?
Swa 73 expert

Please teach us more. What other messages do we need to pay special attention to?
As a matter of fact, I am typed in the 737 and have flown the aircraft.

To stay in VNAV Path, you have to stay within rate of decent parameters and speed parameters. If you are not going to do so, you have to change something. The FMS alerts you to do this. If you don't want to add drag, another option is to change speed - unless of course you are speed constrained by the aircraft configuration, the arrival, the FARs or ATC.

The other common mistake I've seen SWA pilots do when trying to change speed to stay in VNAV Path is to do so by using speed intervention and then wonder why it goes to VNAV Speed mode. Unless you are in the approach phase within the FMS logic, you need to change the speed within the FMS and not set a manually selected speed. Any other time speed intervention automatically takes it out of VNAV Path.

It also always amazes me when I sit in a SWA cockpit, hear them brief a VNAV approach and then watch them start using vertical speed modes continuously.

From what I've seen from many, many times in a SWA jumpseat since you started using VNAV a few years ago, whoever it is at SWA that sets your procedures and training does not understand VNAV.

Sorry if my opinion offends you but it is based on frequent personal observation. We went through the same misunderstanding problems at Hawaiian when we started using VNAV and it took us a couple of years to figure it out. But we never artificially limited ourselves like you guys do with speed brakes.

Really?

You want us to add drag every time the fms says so eh?
Swa 73 expert

Please teach us more. What other messages do we need to pay special attention to?

Wow. All I gotta say is WOW. The machine is giving you a hint.... And you probably programmed it wrong anyway. The FMS and VNAV are your friends... It appears obvious you guys might have some problems with INTL flying, especially with that attitude. Some cities in Europe have noise abatement procedures that pretty much necessitate turning the autopilot on ASAP due to noise monitoring systems and heavy fines. But, I bet you guys could hand fly it blindfolded.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
You plan on rolling over on code share scoreboard?

Bc I'd like to talk to you in real life as I haven't met anyone who wasn't proactively warning me against code share-

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back