What Heavy jet will SWA buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jim, stop preaching like you're king flyer and we don't know how to do basics -
That's what's been ridiculous- we get the job done and from what I've seen of Hawaiian, SWA is a lot more flexible and able to work with ATC than you guys-
Maybe you could learn that from us
Most rnav arrivals have you decel, so if you enter the speed if you are initially high, you ultimately trade a decel now for a decel later and you're fine- just sort it out
If the stupid stick will fix it reasonably- then yeah, we do it-
If it's still tight since our stupid stick doesn't do much for all that shake- then yeah- exactly as posted- we give atc options and let them decide and are usually pretty dang cool with them about
Bubba has tried to tell you 2-3 times now- flaps won't help you at 280 kts slowing to 250- so your pet peeve is still dumb

Our atc relationship is so much better than any other airline I've worked at- that's a critique you shouldn't throw out there. (Especially you GL with all the Aggro unable deltoids you got clogging up the system)
You guys are so defensive about it, that you actually created an urban legend that atc gives us priority bc of pizza parties and TVs instead of us as a group being ready and getting the job done.

(You do know jim that you guys get extra separation in Oakland where our guys get cleared one after the other and trusted to make it work-)
You know since you made yourself expert of all things SWA vs the pilots who all fly 700 hours + /year here-
But you know
Because you jump seat
:-/

40 mile gear down
5000 hours here I've never seen it- but you did

Ok
Tell us more

Last edited:
Change all those "unable" to "don't want to". Save the "unable" for when it really can't be done. (I'll admit with their self-imposed limitation SWA guys might actually have to say "unable" more often then the rest of us.)

You're not just "teaching ATC", you're potentially causing problems for every other airplane in the area.

Uh, no, never read anywhere that saying "don't want to" gives you any credible ATC handling. Sorry, the professional response is "unable". Let them handle their problems, we have our own.

Or, what Wave said^^^^.

Uh, no, never read anywhere that saying "don't want to" gives you any credible ATC handling. Sorry, the professional response is "unable". Let them handle their problems, we have our own.

Or, what Wave said^^^^.
I see sarcasm is beyond you.

The professional response is to comply with ATC instructions if at all possible so as not to create additional conflicts for other aircraft in the area.

If you can use speed brakes to comply with the ATC instructions, the professional response is to use your speed brakes. For the SWA guys, I realize that your company limitations may preclude this and that is why I put the SWA caveat. The rest who just don't want to use speed brakes are making things harder for everyone else in the system. That is NOT professional.

Jim, stop preaching like you're king flyer and we don't know how to do basics -
That's what's been ridiculous- we get the job done and from what I've seen of Hawaiian, SWA is a lot more flexible and able to work with ATC than you guys-
Maybe you could learn that from us
Most rnav arrivals have you decel, so if you enter the speed if you are initially high, you ultimately trade a decel now for a decel later and you're fine- just sort it out
If the stupid stick will fix it reasonably- then yeah, we do it-
If it's still tight since our stupid stick doesn't do much for all that shake- then yeah- exactly as posted- we give atc options and let them decide and are usually pretty dang cool with them about
Bubba has tried to tell you 2-3 times now- flaps won't help you at 280 kts slowing to 250- so your pet peeve is still dumb

Our atc relationship is so much better than any other airline I've worked at- that's a critique you shouldn't throw out there. (Especially you GL with all the Aggro unable deltoids you got clogging up the system)
You guys are so defensive about it, that you actually created an urban legend that atc gives us priority bc of pizza parties and TVs instead of us as a group being ready and getting the job done.

(You do know jim that you guys get extra separation in Oakland where our guys get cleared one after the other and trusted to make it work-)
You know since you made yourself expert of all things SWA vs the pilots who all fly 700 hours + /year here-
But you know
Because you jump seat
:-/

40 mile gear down
5000 hours here I've never seen it- but you did

Ok
Tell us more
I understand Wave, SWA is all knowing and better than everyone else. SWA always knows how to best do everything and SWA is always right. Every pilot wants to fly for SWA and hopes that they are lucky enough to be bought by SWA so they can get an otherwise undeserved/unearned place at the bottom of the SWA seniority list.

And I'm sure the shorter clearance interval at OAK for SWA is has nothing to with our being a heavy generating more wake turbulence and requiring greater separation. I've never heard of any ATC complaints against Hawaiian at OAK or anywhere else. And if we say "unable" it's because we really are "unable" not because we don't want to. We comply with ATC request so we don't have to give them options or be continually "flexible".

If you ignore GL and the other trolls, it can still be a useful discussion-
I should have stayed out. Why was I naive enough to believe you?

All hail SWA! We are not worthy!

I'm done.

I'm done.

I doubt you're done :)

Sorry dude, ATC tried to kill me by vectoring me into an RJ, if they want a descent of 10,000 feet in 20 NM, they can blow me, use your speed brakes all you want.

Last edited:
Ah, so that's still what it's all about- me trolling about swa buying you-
Ok- I get it
Don't complain to me about you trolling when I own it when I'm just digging on dan-

So let me see if I can square away the rationale
You tell us how we fly from your JUMPSEAT experience-
We take what applies and try and have a conversation -
(And I did still find it useful- esp the line about vnav logic not dependent on ATs- I'll experiment with that)
But then you throw out a bunch of hyperbole and made up experiences and inaccuracies that you won't admit to being inaccurate on-
But it's our fault for pointing that out?
Then you try and run away again?

Let me tell you some good FI and life advise -
If you're done- just be done-
No need to say it AFTER you write a paragraph you know will get responses.
That's little kid stuff man-

Either be done or engage - don't engage then say you're done and run away

The professional response is to comply with ATC instructions if at all possible so as not to create additional conflicts for other aircraft in the area.

How about holding them responsible for professional vectoring?

My God, you sound like such a little bitch.

I do one leg a day so I guess our experiences differ quite a bit.

Last edited:
There is at least one check airman that does not know the unable phrase. He VS 6000fpm, boards out and 320+kts while assigned 290kts, to make a crossing restriction that had not been assigned. This was on Capt. IOE, the poor guy in the left seat didn't know what to do.

Latest resources

Back