• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do Netjets guys do on long flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to bring a small mini black-and-white TV with me when I flew "long haul" runs in the Lance, part 135 freight

(2 hours)

I could watch like 20 stations, many all interfering with each other

Real pro there. You guys pi$$ me off. I'm tired of covering the missed radio calls for you. And how swell, leaving your partner to sit there in silence like a dead body.
Owners aren't paying $20,000 a month for you to listen to music. You're on their dime in the plane, do what you're supposed to.
Let me guess....REGIONAL PILOT in past life?

I actually agree with you about the ipod thing. I think it's pretty rude to the guy you're flying with and disrespectful to the owners who are paying a ton for your professional service.

However, what's with your dig on Regional Pilots? Your name is ACA Terry. Isn't that Atlantic Coast Airlines? Flew for United as United Express? Isn't that CL65 in your aircraft flown a CRJ that ACA operated? I'm not putting you down...just wondering why your busting on former regional pilots if you were one.

I am pretty certain that I miss more radio calls when I am day dreaming, looking out the window, and wondering if there is a strip club next to the hotel, than I do when listening to Rush, Savage Nation, or Cubs Baseball news.
This topic has gone round and round with pilots and there is no scientific proof that one or the other keeps you more or less in tune with what is happening in the airplane. Some folks are mental midgets, while others are multitasking like Windows 95. YMMV.

Bottom line is that the owners pay a lot of money for us to put our full attention to their flight, and we owe it to them.
Insofar as the volume level, I was honored enough to fill out an ASAP report over someone missing 4 ATC calls when I got back to the cockpit from the back helping pax with the flightphone. We were supposed to be copying a reroute and the controller was pi$$ed, and this guy was in LaLa Land with his iPod. That's enough for me. Anyone who shows up to fly with me with one of those is in for a fight.
Call me crazy, but a quiet ADF in the background is not the same as an iPod piped in the headset.
Frickin' people are too dumb to carry a conversation. Electric stimulation 24 hrs a day! Geez.....

I have to stand up in support of my beloved iPod. I do not miss radio calls. I can still maintain a conversation with my flying partners. It does not detract from my ability to manage the airplane in any way, shape, or form. It is absolutely the same as listening to an ADF (also piped into your headphones in case you forgot) and to suggest otherwise is hypocrisy at its finest. And yes I was a regional pilot, with you, at ACA - does that make me less of a pilot? I'll put my skills up against anyone and I am proud of the flying that I have done, can you say the same?

Acaterry you have made many thoughtful posts on this board but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I have no problem with the ipod at a level that doesn't block radios or conversation, but the ipod problem with the company is from idiots watching movies or tv shows on the ipod and customers seeing it. Most people can drive their car without crashing it while listening to the radio or CDs and most can probably do just fine with background tunes in an airplane, but watching the ipod screen is begging for trouble for the entire crew and company.

Stripes....... watching it on his iPod?? :D

Something like this??
Psycho: My name's Francis Sawyer... but everyone calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis... I'll kill ya.
Leon: Ooooooh.
Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff... I'll kill ya. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me... I'll kill ya.
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis. We're all in this together. One of these men may save your life one of these days, you understand that? '
Winger: Then again maybe one of us won't.

I actually like hearing the opinion of the other pilot on subjects like, Rental Property management, Investments, kids, wives (for the Utah folks) and my favorite, athiesim lies.

Latest resources

Back