Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are the chances of AA hiring again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They gotta recall about 3000 furloughees first. That should take at least 5 years.

Of course, then they will hire you and furlough you for 5+ years. LOL

Big Slick has got lots of good insight, but I agree 1/3 won't go back. Could be over 1/2 depending on how sick or healthy AA looks when they are called.

Imagine this, if you are one of the 1000 most junior furloughed you have probably been at another job for at least 4 years. You will likely be at that job another 3 years. It could be that NONE of the bottom 1000 come back while the top 1000 has an 80% come back rate.

The exception are the military folks who went back on active duty to get their 20 years. They may just slide back into the company after 7-10 years out.

Tons and Tons of these guys are at Airtran, SWA, FedEX, Alaska, NetJets, UPS and JetBlue. Life goes on.

I figure we will be in the full throw of another big industry downturn before AA starts hiring off the street again. But we might be back in another upswing as well.

Find a seat before the music stops for a year or more.

Last edited:
When will AA start hiring again, that's simple! About the time I get my recall. Ahh the joys of being the junior guy!

I've done the DFW-EWR commute many years ago. It wasn't that bad back then either.

So, junior dude, what is your take on going back after another 3-5 years out??

Don't know. I'm trying not to put the horse before the cart on this one. If I'm at my current job I will most likely go back. Of course it depends in what AA looks like at that time. If I am fortunate enough to land a FedEx, CAL, SWA type of job, so long AA.

Don't know. I'm trying not to put the horse before the cart on this one. If I'm at my current job I will most likely go back. Of course it depends in what AA looks like at that time. If I am fortunate enough to land a FedEx, CAL, SWA type of job, so long AA.

I wish you well. Keep looking for some old buds. They upgrading to Captain and check airman at those you mention above and may be able to help you out.

Why don't you do us all a favor and educate us on this history. Or do you want us to wait till AA loses the China Route and associated revenue.

If you're not on the list, you don't have a dog in this fight. If you are, you should already know the history.

But, I'll humor you: AMR signs a contract with APA. AMR then sets about willfully violating the contract hoping to establish "past practice". (Sidebar: APA is partially responsible for this--the Green Book is the most loosely-worded CBA in existance. Too much room for interpretation, IMO.) If APA gives ground on crew compliment or facilities for ultra-long-haul, it could establish past practice and be intrepreted and applied to regular long-haul flights, reducing crew and weakening the contract on crew rest facilities. Who knows what AMR will come up with?

Good faith bargaining means nothing to AMR. I give you the events leading up to Carty's exit (I was in attendance for his plea to APA for concessions and setting a 'new tone'.) and the PUP. TC

What do you guys have now for augment on longhaul and what are they asking for as far as crew compliment and crew rest? Isn't India considered super longhaul and what do they do? Unfortunately we at NWA gave up what I and many others considered the gold standard. Always a real capt.(not typed fo) in the left seat getting real capt. pay for doing the job of pic. Unfortunately I think we were the only US airline augmenting like this, so we lost it in our raping. So far we have adequate crew rest areas on the wide bodies but I believe the 757 will be a coach seat but would have to check the contract. I am sure the resident expert on all airlines ASSINELLI will chime in with his 2 cents about how the cockpit jumpseats should be sufficienct for crew rest on a 16 hr flt.

Old story but I'll say it anyway!

At TWA we had a leg that was right on the edge of 12 hours (Cairo to JFK). Of course the company scheduled it for 11:59 to keep from needing a second relief pilot! In an attempt to keep the average time of that leg under 12 hours they flight planned us for .82. (Well above econ speed for a 767-300).

Of course that upped the fuel burn. So what did most Capts do? They want to save fuel! So back come the throttles. So most legs went over 12 hours. Then the FAA got on the co. for not having another "Eater" for this leg.

Old story but I'll say it anyway!

At TWA we had a leg that was right on the edge of 12 hours (Cairo to JFK). Of course the company scheduled it for 11:59 to keep from needing a second relief pilot! In an attempt to keep the average time of that leg under 12 hours they flight planned us for .82. (Well above econ speed for a 767-300).

Of course that upped the fuel burn. So what did most Capts do? They want to save fuel! So back come the throttles. So most legs went over 12 hours. Then the FAA got on the co. for not having another "Eater" for this leg.

AA did the same thing a couple of summers ago on DFW-HNL.... not only did they flight plan at .82, they flight planned at something like FL250!! All this to keep from having an FB ("eater" in TWAspeak.) Eventually that came to a halt as well.

Cobra, as far as what we do on super long haul, it is one CA and 3 FOs. DFW-Beijing would be the same, I suspect. I thought you NWA guys had 2 CAs and 2 FOs?

What do you guys have now for augment on longhaul and what are they asking for as far as crew compliment and crew rest? Isn't India considered super longhaul and what do they do? Unfortunately we at NWA gave up what I and many others considered the gold standard. Always a real capt.(not typed fo) in the left seat getting real capt. pay for doing the job of pic. Unfortunately I think we were the only US airline augmenting like this, so we lost it in our raping. So far we have adequate crew rest areas on the wide bodies but I believe the 757 will be a coach seat but would have to check the contract. I am sure the resident expert on all airlines ASSINELLI will chime in with his 2 cents about how the cockpit jumpseats should be sufficienct for crew rest on a 16 hr flt.

Yeah -- NWA should have 2 relief captains on the 757s and the company should block 4 first class seats for them. Then block another 4 seats for the FAs -- god knows what value they add to the company. That still gives the company 12-16 business class seats to sell to the fare paying passengers. But then -- why can't the company make money?? Oh -- the fares must be too low!!

Get a life Cobra. A crew augument of FOs works just fine. Of course people like you will whine when you have to "earn" your money as it violates your sense of "entitlement." The gold standard was nothing but full pay for half the work (in many cases a complete joyride for the second captain).

If you're not on the list, you don't have a dog in this fight. If you are, you should already know the history.

But, I'll humor you: AMR signs a contract with APA. AMR then sets about willfully violating the contract hoping to establish "past practice". (Sidebar: APA is partially responsible for this--the Green Book is the most loosely-worded CBA in existance. Too much room for interpretation, IMO.) If APA gives ground on crew compliment or facilities for ultra-long-haul, it could establish past practice and be intrepreted and applied to regular long-haul flights, reducing crew and weakening the contract on crew rest facilities. Who knows what AMR will come up with?

Good faith bargaining means nothing to AMR. I give you the events leading up to Carty's exit (I was in attendance for his plea to APA for concessions and setting a 'new tone'.) and the PUP. TC

Well at least you admit that the APA is responsible as well. Carty is gone. Give the new guy a chance. And keep it behind closed doors. AA or any other airline losing routes like this comes back to hurt the pilots -- not management.

Latest resources

Back