Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are the chances of AA hiring again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sexybeast

I currently am a SkyWest pilot living in Dallas. Not a bad gig, but I would really like to work for AA some day. I know Southwest is here too, but I really would like to fly international one day. Any chance of them hiring off the street in the next 5 or so years?

They gotta recall about 3000 furloughees first. That should take at least 5 years.

Of course, then they will hire you and furlough you for 5+ years. LOL

Do you mean EVER or just winthin the near future. Odds are that they will have to hire again sometime.

Check out World (and North American), Omni and maybe a few other charter ops. Even NetJets. You might be flying int'l right out of training.

You've always got the other major Texas carrier hiring and you'd get to go do some heavy international right off the bat. No better way to see if you like doing it than doing it in your first year. Then, if you hate it you are still young enough to go fly for SWA if that is something you have thought about or bid back to our 737 fleet and bid only domestic/carribean etc. type stuff. If you heart is set on the big AA, then you can always go that way in 5 years or whenever they start hiring. Despite what you may hear out there, many pilots have left one major for another over the years. My point is that you should take advantage of the hiring that is going on now and get out of the regionals. You can make another jump should you want but get somewhere where you can gain some seniority towards retirement should you never get the call from AA. That way you have a job paying well from which you can spend a career and retire from. Look at AAI as well. Good carrier with healthy pay and you can retire there. I flew for them for 3 years until CAL called. It wasn't easy to leave but CAL was my dream. The smartest thing I did was leave COEX for AAI(AirTran) because even if I never got a call from CAL, I could have had a nice career at AirTran. You follow?

IAHERJ

Last edited:
When American gets going again, I'll bet no more than half of that 3000 actually go back. The longer they wait less and less pilots will go back. In 5 years you could have gotten something really nice going.

I would really like to work for AA some day............. Any chance of them hiring off the street in the next 5 or so years?

Depends how long it takes for them to go through 3000 furloughes. How many will come back out of the 3000? Who knows?

If you do ever work here, be ready to just be a number at this Texas sized company.

I currently am a SkyWest pilot living in Dallas. Not a bad gig, but I would really like to work for AA some day. I know Southwest is here too, but I really would like to fly international one day. Any chance of them hiring off the street in the next 5 or so years?

They'd start recalling faster if the Pilot Group had some sense and didn't go public with their refusal to fly the China route and impede AAs application for the China Route.

Commuting from Dal to Ewr would be awful.

Actually it was not that bad, I had a two leg commute through DFW to EWR and was not that with with CAL and AA as options. Never got bumped and never missed a trip. It was only for two months so I guess it could get worse.

Latest resources

Back