• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Watch out FOs on Before T/O PAs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember a time when jumpseats seemed to always be MEL'd and the O2 had just enough for the two crew. To many in the FAA it seemed the maintenance and flight crew programs for that airline needed a closer review. Call in a couple dozen inspectors from all over and conduct a several week extensive review. Spend extra time in the hanagers and observe maintenance procedures. Ride as many flights as there are Inspectors to see if the cockpit procedures are being followed. Sit in Dispatch to observe compliance. Observe pilot training closely to determine if the MEL knowledge and procedures are being taught properly. Interview all Managers and up to determine specifically who is responsible for MEL and Airworthiness’ and flight crew compliance. All non conformance issues will, of course, be sent to region and HQ legal for review.

You really do not want to go down that road. The Inspector is in the jumpseat doing a job as directed by his boss. Stuff breaks, just be careful how many times and when it breaks and you poke that 800 pound gorilla. Your poke may be the last one.......

I get paid the same either way.

Last edited:
I remember a time when jumpseats seemed to always be MEL'd and the O2 had just enough for the two crew. To many in the FAA it seemed the maintenance and flight crew programs for that airline needed a closer review. Call in a couple dozen inspectors from all over and conduct a several week extensive review. Spend extra time in the hanagers and observe maintenance procedures. Ride as many flights as there are Inspectors to see if the cockpit procedures are being followed. Sit in Dispatch to observe compliance. Observe pilot training closely to determine if the MEL knowledge and procedures are being taught properly. Interview all Managers and up to determine specifically who is responsible for MEL and Airworthiness’ and flight crew compliance. All non conformance issues will, of course, be sent to region and HQ legal for review.

You really do not want to go down that road. The Inspector is in the jumpseat doing a job as directed by his boss. Stuff breaks, just be careful how many times and when it breaks and you poke that 800 pound gorilla. Your poke may be the last one.......

I get paid the same either way.

Hey. bring it on beatch. Are you calling for a jumpseat war. you might get paid the same but some of you ladies use your little "inspections" to get to work or to your little weekend vacations. Maybe they should look at random scheduling of inspections to ensure that FAA girls do not receive a benefit from their so called "inspections." It could also ensure that Miss FAA does not use the inspection as a weapon.

You just said that you would use inspections as retaliation for not getting to ride in the jump seat. Do you really think that is a good idea. The FAA is in a reform mood right now. Do you really want your little free flight privileges examined too closely?

In fact. I think I'm going to write a letter to my US Senators and ask them to look into this whole little illegal government perk. I think a copy of your post will be very revealing. Thank you! You've been very helpful! FAAtard. I'm also going to send your little threat to Randy Babbitt.

JAFI has 7 type ratings. I wonder if that includes the FAA "King Air, never going to fly a real one" type rating?

JAFI can't get a real pilot job because he thinks the deck is stacked against him. But that's OK. He can still feel important anyway.

Last edited:
Look at your MEL and the Catagory. It should be short term. As for O2, again look at your MEL. I will have to check but not having enough O2 is not a reason for "defering" the jumpseat. I just means you have to call maintenance to get it filled. Been down that road more than once.
Do you think you can delay a departure to get the O2 filled just so that you can get a free ride? I wonder what the traveling public would think about missing their next connection just so that an FAA puke can get a free ride? I think they need a new category on the DOT ratings. FAA free ride delay.

I'm just saying that it's in everyone's best interest to be cool. Why try to ruin a good thing. FAA guys should get their free travel privileges but just don't be a dick about it. Tell your buddies. If there is a real safety concern, bust the 4hit out of it. Don't be making a big deal out of some pilot making a pre-takeoff PA. Sit there and enjoy your free ride. You don't own that jump seat. Try to be part of the team.

Gentlemen, be careful on going to battle with the FAA (if you are considering it). It's a battle they will win 99.99% of the time.
Sunlit. I know it might look like that sometimes but the FAA is not immune and all powerful. They are more vulnerable than you. Especially now. You are highly trained and capable. Don't let them intimidate. They do not win 99% of the time. If they are wrong, they will lose most of the time. It should be a team process. Unfortunately, most of the real pilots are more into being a team player than the wannabes.

Do you know what the FAA guys have to do to be qualified? Most of them are a total embarrassment. They are not qualified wash our jockstrap.

I think it's time to call for a reform of this so called "inspection" perk. No more free rides. All inspections should be scheduled by random assignment. Why should these guys get to select which flights they inspect based on where they want to go? Why should they bump a pilot out of the jump seat just so that they can use their "inspections" as a free flight benefit? I think it's time for a reform!

There is an FAA guy that lives in Portland Maine and uses his "inspections" to commute to work. He is also a dick who likes to bust aircrews over petty crap while enjoying his free ride. What do you guys think about that? Wouldn't it be nice to see that prick have to buy a ticket to get to work?

It's true that they have a right to do inspections but it doesn't say anywhere that they get to use that to get free rides to get to work. In fact, government employees have to be careful about not accepting goodies from the companies they are supposed to be overseeing. Some government inspectors are not even allowed to accept a cup of coffee. When the inspectors get to pick the flight they will "inspect" the ride goes from a requirement to a free perk.

Now the smart thing would be for the FAA to STFU and enjoy the free rides. The way it's supposed to work is everyone acts cool and everyone has a good time.

Last edited:
I interviewed at a Cargo Carrier. We all had to take a written test. The interview class was 14 retired Airforce C-130 guys and me. They were through the test in 5 minutes. The exam was like nothing I had ever seen before. Later when I told a co-worker of the exam he said he knew the questions. He produced the Airforce Instrument Flying Handbook (AFM 51-37). I still have that copy. As I read the handbook, I found the questions. Nothing like stacking the deck.

In my experence about the same number of military and non military pilots pass to line status. I have been told by several former military pilots "you can't fail me, I was a B52 IP, or F16 fighter pilot, or something of the like.

Not once did a pilot say "you cant fail me, I flew single pilot night freight or flight instructed for 10 years, or had 6 companies go bankrupt on me".

It is interesting how the pilots that have the ability do not have to qualify their background.

Civil Servant ( I kind of doubt it).

OOps. Looks like someone has a big chip on her shoulder. Were those big military meanies taking the job that should have been given to you? Didn't they respect all of you FAA contributions?

JAFI. Why didn't you whip out your FAA violation book and bust them for hiring who they want to hire. Did you ever think there might be a reason why they would prefer to hire military pilots over some FAA puke? Maybe you should have quoted some section out of some manual on them. There must be something in the FAR that says they have to hire you instead of a military pilot who served his/her country flying in combat conditions.

I think JAFI is so grouchy because nobody wants to give him a pilot job. He might feel better if someone would hire him. Could someone here get him an interview and give him the answers to all the questions so that he can feel happier?

Last edited:
There is an FAA guy that lives in Portland Maine and uses his "inspections" to commute to work. He is also a dick who likes to bust aircrews over petty crap while enjoying his free ride. What do you guys think about that? Wouldn't it be nice to see that prick have to buy a ticket to get to time.

call that 800 number and turn him in, send an email to your news station

call that 800 number and turn him in, send an email to your news station

do you know what this is? "PSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssss?" Sounds like oxygen. Take a deep breath JAFI. You might catch a buzz from all that O2 in the cockpit. It could cause euphoria but it will probably be temporary. What does your manual say about that?

I think JAFI went NORDO.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to try to get in a dickhead contest with a fed...nowhere good that can go.

Well gentlemen ... can I use "gentlemen" here? I think some of us need a nap.

Free ride? Call whoever you like. If you find someone abusing the job, then report it. All enroute inspections (that’s jumpseat to you) are recorded and approved by a supervisor and have to have a job function. If not an Inspector can and have been fired. Rare, but does happen. I know of two in 20 years. In any system you can find abuses.

Jumpseat war? There is no war here. I was recalling history, you were getting emotional. The Observers Seat is for the use of the Administrator by Federal Code. If the Administrator is not using a specific seat there is a process for others to use it.

Recalling an interview that was set up for a specific candidate, well you need to read the entire thread. I was happy I did not work there. The turnover rate was very high because the company was extremely hostile to its employees (you may not have ever heard of such a company yet, but you may someday).

Type ratings. I earned most of mine in industry and in the aircraft. Back then simulators were not completely used by the companies I worked for. There were simulators and we used them but we always did type training and the ride in the aircraft. I quit counting at 7. Too many numbers falling out of my ears.

Can't get a job in industry? Companies closed the doors (shut down forever) when pilots were on a trip and you had to figure a way to get home. The company left you stranded. I saw three bankruptcies. I decided I needed a steady paycheck. Most of the people I work with now were from some of the best yet bankrupt companies you could ever work for. One Inspector I know went through 7 shut downs in 10 years. He is very happy now.

This is a discussion board. It is to discuss issues in an industry. If it is difficult for you maybe you need to find an outlet with less stress.

I think it was the movie "the Undefeated" where John Wayne said “that is more explaining than I had to do in a long time".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back