• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Watch out FOs on Before T/O PAs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All this is a moot point if the F/O does not even make this PA. At my airline, the CA is responsible for this PA and almost all of them only say "F/As Prepare for Takeoff" - nothing more - because it would be a violation of sterile. I've been here almost 12 years and have never made a takeoff PA. What airlines require the F/O to make it?

As a former fed inspector I can simply offer this: if you obey your FOM and the regulations you won't get in trouble. If I'm sitting in the back or the jumpseat, on official duty, and I hear an FO or Captain rambling on while taxiing, I cannot simply "let it go" because I would be derelict in my duties as an inspector. What I and 99.99% of us would do would be to pop our heads in on the way off the airplane, say "nice flight, thanks for the ride, and maybe just keep the PA chatter in mind.." or something like that. Contrary what you think, Feds are not out to get you. But we do have a job to do as do you.

And no Fed jumpseating is ever "just looking for a ride home"...each has a very specific checklist to follow so stay on your game when a fed's on board (and when there's no fed on board).

The F.O.M. provides clear guidance and mandatory instructions on this topic. (2-49). Please note the word "Shall" means compliance is mandatory, (1-2.1).

Ive heard that our wonderful FAA observers are dinging crews for sterile cockpit violation for saying anything other than number blah blah for takeoff, FA be seated.

I seriously doubt that...and this is coming from the "other" side of the fence.

And normally when you start with "I've heard..." it is usually as accurate as any news report on any aviation topic.

Yah, I've heard we're adequately staffed...

All this is a moot point if the F/O does not even make this PA. At my airline, the CA is responsible for this PA and almost all of them only say "F/As Prepare for Takeoff" - nothing more - because it would be a violation of sterile. I've been here almost 12 years and have never made a takeoff PA. What airlines require the F/O to make it?

Just about all of them besides yours.. :)

Boeing has decided this issue is too big for us pilots to handle and on their newer planes you just have a "Takeoff Announcement" button that does it for you.

Had the assistant POI on the js about 3 weeks ago out of XNA, he didn't say a word. Do what the FOM says. Per haps we should be more careful of things that actually matter like actually doing a pre/post flight walk around and actaully paying attention and not missing a softball size dent in the nosecose that was just recently painted over by mx with no logbook entry in the can.

Not all maintenance performed on aircraft is required to be documented in the logbook on the aircraft...just so you know.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back