• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Watch out FOs on Before T/O PAs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Ladies and Gentlemen we're number 2 for departure. Flight Attendants please be seated".
Anyone who thinks that is too much is just an a$$. It's better than a double chime, and it's short.

Not all maintenance performed on aircraft is required to be documented in the logbook on the aircraft...just so you know.

Yeah, not my first rodeo, but a hole through the side of the radome probably should be noticed on the walkaround

All this is a moot point if the F/O does not even make this PA. At my airline, the CA is responsible for this PA and almost all of them only say "F/As Prepare for Takeoff" - nothing more - because it would be a violation of sterile. I've been here almost 12 years and have never made a takeoff PA. What airlines require the F/O to make it?

Considering that the CA has two hands occupied taxiing, I'm surprised there's any airline that doesn't have the FO do the announcement.

I'd like to thank the OP for making the recommendation. Before last month I, for one, hadn't considered that adding on a few words could be an issue.

The FACT is that last month on a line check the Check Airman specifically mentioned not to extend the announcement unless the parking brake is set.

The FACT is that a Fed told him that he didn't like it that we were regularly breaking this rule. That means that if we didn't cut it out soon then someone would be made an example of.

If you don't mind being the one they make an example of then Go Ahead and disregard an honest heads-up.

Considering that the CA has two hands occupied taxiing, I'm surprised there's any airline that doesn't have the FO do the announcement.

I'd like to thank the OP for making the recommendation. Before last month I, for one, hadn't considered that adding on a few words could be an issue.

The FACT is that last month on a line check the Check Airman specifically mentioned not to extend the announcement unless the parking brake is set.

The FACT is that a Fed told him that he didn't like it that we were regularly breaking this rule. That means that if we didn't cut it out soon then someone would be made an example of.

If you don't mind being the one they make an example of then Go Ahead and disregard an honest heads-up.

You're welcome. Good points all around

This point has been brought up here at AA before. The thinking over there at HQ is that the FO is so busy with our massive Before T/O checklist (trust me, it's long - something like 15 items) that the feds didn't consider it a big deal for the CA to push the PA button and make the PA from his boom mike - all he's doing is taxiing. Otherwise, it's just one more thing on the laundry list for the already-busy FO to do. Kinda makes sense to me. Obviously the FAA thinks so too.

B/s. It is a clear violation of sterile cockpit unless the parking brake is set. Its in the FOM, it's law and it's a violation that can be handed out from a fed riding in the cabin. Captian usually makes PA at the gate, followed by the one prior to takeoff by the FO. Sterile cockpit is a hot topic so crawl back under your rock. You're probably the type who likes to hear himself talk and repeat everything the captain said at the gate but in your own words. Utterly ridiculous. Do it by the book or ill be happy to call pro standards until you catch the drift that this isn't kosher.

Four days with you must go by like a breeze.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back