• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America Revenue...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you are claiming that Alaska Airlines marketing and selling tickets on flights operated with Alaska Airlines flight numbers is not Alaska Airlines flying?

Okay, just wanted to get that straight.

For the record, in case people have missed it the many times I have posted it - I AM NOT ANTI-UNION OR EVEN ANTI-ALPA. I HAVE NEVER BLAMED ALPA FOR MY FURLOUGHS. I have been a happy dues paying member of both ALPA and Teamsters and was part of an ALPA organizing committee!! I have also never claimed that pay and benefits were great at Virgin, only that they were significantly better than what I was making at an ALPA regional and that there are union wages out there that are the same or less than Virgin.

What I am opposed to is baseless statements that pilots at Virgin America (or JetBlue or Allegiant) are seniority hopping low time pilots who are responsible for dragging wages down. Numerous factors, including some bad decisions made by ALPA groups, are the reason wages have dropped. I cannot speak to the JetBlue or Allegiant pilots, but the majority of pilots at Virgin are ex-TWA, Midwest, ATA, Aloha, USA3000, United, USAirways, not a bunch of 25 year old RJ drivers looking for a short cut (as fubi has claimed on many occasions).

If the time comes that we at Virgin decide we need to unionize, I will fully support it and even take an active role in doing so as I did in the past. But I am not going to live in the fantasy land that so many ALPA cheerleaders like to promote that going union will solve our issues. In fact in the near to mid term a union may even create more issues. But the decision to organize rests solely with the Virgin pilots and nobody else, regardless of what others may think it does to the industry. That is the standard that is applied to groups who vote to give up scope - it was their decision, their perogative, regardless of how it may affect the rest of the industry. If you apply that standard to one pilot group, and don't apply it to another, that is called hypocrisy. For the record, I don't like or respect hypocrites.

I am and was not blasting VX in the slightest. As I said before, your pilot group will do what is best for your pilot group. All I am doing is correcting your understanding of our scope agreement and who Skywest is doing the flying for.

For the last time, Skywest is flying HORIZON ROUTES. We cannot change that and we don't have a say in it. Are you clear on this now? As I told you before, we are in discussions about the change of livery on the aircraft. This Skywest issue is pretty much numero uno for the pilot group on the upcoming contract and we will try to mitigate it.

Is anyone not familiar w/ saw's old wages- but that said, I don't feel bad for any of older pilots, they got stock and profit sharing that still put them up there with other legacy pilots. But you don't see SWA getting on here bashing VX- I see you doing it.

So- enlighten me- when did Alaska become union? Did you, or did you not have far less planes than VA in 1980? Didn't your airline argue for deregulation so you could come in and undercut PanAm?

Sorry you don't like competition- but as I pointed out - at least neither SWA or VA are outsourcing - get your own flying back in the tent and away from SkyWest and you might be remotely credible- or is the CRJ-700 too complicated for you?

Until then you're just a troll

Perhaps you could point out the crappy wages from your own history. And how your UNION, like ours, eventually raised them through contract negotiations instead of trying to bully and embarrass me personally.

The propensity of you and your SWA cronies to continue to gang up on people who disagree with you is childish and ugly.

And you might also point out that while you were engaged in that battle, SWAPA union members were welcome to share in the negotiated Union privileges of other airline pilot unions.

Wave,

You asked about the mood at VA. There is widespread grumbling about the pay and work rules needing to be brought up to industry norms. The company has for the last several years announced early in the year pay raises to be effective June 1 of each year. Last year the raise was disappointing to many here. There is also a work rules review going on right now that has pilot reps on the committee. The results of those two items will drive the mood of the pilot group going forward.

Many here have prior experience working in union shops. Many here would like to see us under a CBA, but the question is which bargaining agent would work for us. There is a lot of resentment towards ALPA for opposing VA's certification and lack of support for former members landing here from shut down carriers. A lot of former Teamsters here are advising against going that route as well. Going in house seems best but is the toughest way to go.

A catch 22 we have is if the company doesn't give raises and work rule improvements it will hasten the union drive, while at the same time the resulting RLA imposed status quo during the negotiation of a first contract will further drag out our low pay pain.

Interesting times, stay tuned...

Wave,

You asked about the mood at VA. There is widespread grumbling about the pay and work rules needing to be brought up to industry norms. The company has for the last several years announced early in the year pay raises to be effective June 1 of each year. Last year the raise was disappointing to many here. There is also a work rules review going on right now that has pilot reps on the committee. The results of those two items will drive the mood of the pilot group going forward.

Many here have prior experience working in union shops. Many here would like to see us under a CBA, but the question is which bargaining agent would work for us. There is a lot of resentment towards ALPA for opposing VA's certification and lack of support for former members landing here from shut down carriers. A lot of former Teamsters here are advising against going that route as well. Going in house seems best but is the toughest way to go.

A catch 22 we have is if the company doesn't give raises and work rule improvements it will hasten the union drive, while at the same time the resulting RLA imposed status quo during the negotiation of a first contract will further drag out our low pay pain.

Interesting times, stay tuned...

If there is truly widespread grumbling then this will certainly be an interesting time for VX pilots. The only improvements Jetblue pilots have received were as a result of 2 union drives and significant attrition in 05 and 06. The likelihood of seeing anything significant has now diminished as the union threat is less. While we did receive pay enhancements the benefits, retirement, merger/ scope protection are still well below average.
Like Jetblue VX will certainly target particular groups whom they consider to be the voting block or have the most influence. Prepare to see a level of underhandedness like you've never seen and union busting companies like Ford and Harrison take over your crew room, mailboxes and inboxes.
An interesting time for VX indeed.

The propensity of you and your SWA cronies to continue to gang up on people who disagree with you is childish and ugly.

WOW! Only through a deft move did I avoid spitting coffee all over my computer when I read this from you. You really crack me up. You, Fish/Fubi, are the poster boy for childish and ugly! OMG that is some funny stuff right there.

Lake,

We watched very closely during the FA union drive. The F&H led company response was everywhere. We are also watching closely to the treatment of the FAs now that the drive is over. It failed, but the vote was 60/40 with over 90% turnout, a strong first effort.

I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding points one and two - fubi, and others, have called us evil due to among other things not being ALPA..

Nope. Find me one quote. I always point out you're NON-UNION. That's all.

All pilot unions help jack the house. You undermine it. Do you understand the difference? Or are you so consumed by ALPA hate that you read everything with a jaundiced eye?

Even your blind dog avatar could do better, but its very appropriate in your case.

I am and was not blasting VX in the slightest. As I said before, your pilot group will do what is best for your pilot group. All I am doing is correcting your understanding of our scope agreement and who Skywest is doing the flying for.

For the last time, Skywest is flying HORIZON ROUTES. We cannot change that and we don't have a say in it. Are you clear on this now? As I told you before, we are in discussions about the change of livery on the aircraft. This Skywest issue is pretty much numero uno for the pilot group on the upcoming contract and we will try to mitigate it.

Fair enough, you got caught up in a long running disagreement with one of your co-workers.

As I said before, if the Skywest flying is not being marketed and sold as Alaska Airlines flights with Alaska Airlines flight numbers, I apologize to you.

But the basis of my statement stands correct - just perhaps should be applied to a different pilot group - union flying is being outsourced to a non-union shop and such a transfer is being allowed by the union under the provisions of the contract in which it negotiated. Which ever airline this is being outsourced from, be it Alaska or Horizon, the pilots did not feel strongly enough about protecting their own union's jobs to make that a priority in negotiations. This is, as you say and I agree with, entirely their prerogative. But the pilots of that group do not have the right to then accost other pilot groups and accuse them of "lowering the bar" when they themselves failed to protect their own jobs from outsourcing.

Fair enough, you got caught up in a long running disagreement with one of your co-workers.

As I said before, if the Skywest flying is not being marketed and sold as Alaska Airlines flights with Alaska Airlines flight numbers, I apologize to you.

But the basis of my statement stands correct - just perhaps should be applied to a different pilot group - union flying is being outsourced to a non-union shop and such a transfer is being allowed by the union under the provisions of the contract in which it negotiated. Which ever airline this is being outsourced from, be it Alaska or Horizon, the pilots did not feel strongly enough about protecting their own union's jobs to make that a priority in negotiations. This is, as you say and I agree with, entirely their prerogative. But the pilots of that group do not have the right to then accost other pilot groups and accuse them of "lowering the bar" when they themselves failed to protect their own jobs from outsourcing.

Just another point to make since you threw the spear. Don't underestimate Management. They are sneaky bastards. I don't think the Horizon guys ever saw this coming.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back