Virgin America Revenue...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's late, so just a quick response.

#1: I am not arguing that we are doing well financially. I am constantly disappointed and surprised at how crappy our financial performance is.

However, I disagree with your premise that we have "deep, structural issues," as you put it. "Issues," plural. You have speculated about 1 issue. And it is not structural.

You admittedly know nothing more about the structure of our debt than what has been publicly disseminated, and you admit that like North Korea, very little has been made public.

You were talking out of your ass.

Actually, NO. There is no one out there that has the complexity of our interiors. JB is a DISTANT second...if that! The funny thing is that we are actually making JB add F/C to their a/c...they have pulled back on competing with us on certain routes because we are taking their customers. Same as AA.

No one has a crystal ball and there are no guarantee's in this business, I believe that we will be around and if not for anything else, merge with someone...who knows. It makes me laugh to hear all the "High Minded" run our numbers and tell us how bad things are here at Virgin. And yet, miraculously can't explain how we are getting more money etc...etc...etc. Tell you what, worry about your "merged lists, inferior products and pissed off attitudes" and let history judge who was right.

Merry Christmas everyone and good luck.
P.S. If any Terrorist attack were to happen again, we would ALL be out of a job! God Bless!!

umm... what routes have we (jetblue) pulled back on? If we are adding first class its news to me, though i think it would be a good idea. I dont think anyone doubts va has a great product... the question is can you deliver that product and make money. I dont know the answer to that.

Actually, NO. There is no one out there that has the complexity of our interiors. JB is a DISTANT second...if that! The funny thing is that we are actually making JB add F/C to their a/c...they have pulled back on competing with us on certain routes because we are taking their customers. Same as AA.

No, the point is that WHEN JB was putting those interiors in, they were cutting edge. Just like your interiors several years later are cutting edge. You both marketed your respective products as such. Just because JB's may not be NOW, it WAS. Hence the comparison.

Further, JB did pull out of a lot of transcon markets that VA was flying because you guys were undercutting them with lower fares and your own niche product. I've posted before that VA took the pages right out of JB's early 2000 playbook. Offer a niche product, use below market rate labor to help undercut the competition. Lather, rinse repeat. The only difference between you guys and JB is that JB was/is much more profitable. When they undercut, they actually made money (mostly). You guys undercut and lose your behinds.

It's late, so just a quick response.

#1: I am not arguing that we are doing well financially. I am constantly disappointed and surprised at how crappy our financial performance is.

However, I disagree with your premise that we have "deep, structural issues," as you put it. "Issues," plural. You have speculated about 1 issue. And it is not structural.

You admittedly know nothing more about the structure of our debt than what has been publicly disseminated, and you admit that like North Korea, very little has been made public.

You were talking out of your ass.

Dude, you are hopeless. If you don't think that there are many issues that are contributing to your airline's significant losses, I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully your peers can bail out before that place implodes. You and Cush can stick around and try to figure out what that "one" non-structural, superficial thing is that's holding VA back.

I personally listed several issues that lead to losses just a few posts ago. Timing is probably the biggest one. That is neither "deep" nor "structural." You were being melodramatic.

People Express also expanded at a rate they were incapable of maintaining. They lacked a reservation system to handle their expansion. The rate of overbooking was a distinct flaw in their growth plan. Ultimately they sold out to Texas Air. Pilots got screwed.

Jumpseating a few years ago on a CAL 757, the captain said that People Express was the best decision he could have ever made. He felt anything but screwed. He wound up a fairly senior 757/767 captain for a solid legacy carrier, while his buddies at TWA and Eastern got screwed.

There is no question People Express had issues: grew too quickly, lacked the proper infrastructure to handle the growth, etc. But they had a lot of assets that provided the foundation for today's United (Continental), like a major hub in the New York area.

No one has a crystal ball and there are no guarantee's in this business, I believe that we will be around and if not for anything else, merge with someone...who knows. It makes me laugh to hear all the "High Minded" run our numbers and tell us how bad things are here at Virgin. And yet, miraculously can't explain how we are getting more money etc...etc...etc. Tell you what, worry about your "merged lists, inferior products and pissed off attitudes" and let history judge who was right.

Merry Christmas everyone and good luck.
P.S. If any Terrorist attack were to happen again, we would ALL be out of a job! God Bless!!

What Jetblue has done was pull back on certain transcon routes because of VX prices. Jetblue is smart enough to not flood the route if it breaking even. VX is losing a substantial amount on transcons. Jetblue is able to make it up on other routes while VX currently is not.

Jumpseating a few years ago on a CAL 757, the captain said that People Express was the best decision he could have ever made. He felt anything but screwed. He wound up a fairly senior 757/767 captain for a solid legacy carrier, while his buddies at TWA and Eastern got screwed.

There is no question People Express had issues: grew too quickly, lacked the proper infrastructure to handle the growth, etc. But they had a lot of assets that provided the foundation for today's United (Continental), like a major hub in the New York area.

You need to expend your horizons a little and not base an entire opinion on one 757/767 captain.

Jumpseating a few years ago on a CAL 757, the captain said that People Express was the best decision he could have ever made..

If so, it was because he was a CA when they merged. The CAs got DoH, the rest got stapled. Not so great a deal for them. I see you're banking on a buyout before the moneypit claims the company. Gotd luck with that.

You need to expend your horizons a little and not base an entire opinion on one 757/767 captain.

He can't. He's addicted to the Red Kool-Aid...

Give him time. You and I drank the blue juice, or versions there of, once.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back