USAirways Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JAB31

Just heard there are 66 pilots slated to be furloughed on Oct 4th. Is there anybody currently on furlough? I assume the 66 is an east+west number. I was under the impression they were furloughing at a rate of 10-20/month and spreading it out over 8 months or so. Any outside info?

They moved up the schedule. The first furloughs took place a week ago. On Oct 1st 51 Westies to be furloughed. Expecting 57 more West furloughs on Nov 1.

After the October furloughs, the junior pilot on the east will have a February 08 hire date. On the west it will be December, 04. In November, the west furloughs will go back to August, 04. Further furloughs on the east are on indefinite hold. Looking for the indignation from USAPA any minute now.

After the October furloughs, the junior pilot on the east will have a February 08 hire date. On the west it will be December, 04. In November, the west furloughs will go back to August, 04. Further furloughs on the east are on indefinite hold. Looking for the indignation from USAPA any minute now.

Don't hold your breath.
MCDU's holding his for his inflatable date later!

Everyone needs to be aware that USAPA is allowing and supporting out-of-senority furloughs and I'm not talking about the NIC senority list - I'm talking about their DOH senority list that they keep beating their chest abot. So its obvious that USAPA doesn't demand a DOH list like they claim, they demand a list that changes with need to ensure the west pilots are furloughed 1st regardless of DOH, LOS, or the NIC list

On Oct.1 50+ AWA guys will hit the street - guys hired in Jan. 2005, while NEW HIRES (many just off probation) remain employed

These new hires are junior to EVERYONE east and west but the company saves lots o money by furloughing out of senority and as long as USAPA turns the other cheek because its happening to the west guys it will continue. Need any more proof USAPA only represents the east?

FU-USAPA

Some 'Union'
Karma's a bitch...

Last edited:
Sorry for your furlough. Hopefully you will be back sooner then later. The fact of age 65 has really put a speedbrake on all the movement we had here a year ago. 40 pilots a month were leaving before 65. Average age is still very high. Around 57.

M

We are still two pilot groups. No ione out West has a right to fly out East. You are like Mid Atlantic pilots. Trapped in your flying.

M

Everyone needs to be aware that USAPA is allowing and supporting out-of-senority furloughs and I'm not talking about the NIC senority list - I'm talking about their DOH senority list that they keep beating their chest abot. So its obvious that USAPA doesn't demand a DOH list like they claim, they demand a list that changes with need to ensure the west pilots are furloughed 1st regardless of DOH, LOS, or the NIC list

On Oct.1 50+ AWA guys will hit the street - guys hired in Jan. 2005, while NEW HIRES (many just off probation) remain employed

These new hires are junior to EVERYONE east and west but the company saves lots o money by furloughing out of senority and as long as USAPA turns the other cheek because its happening to the west guys it will continue. Need any more proof USAPA only represents the east?

FU-USAPA

Some 'Union'
Karma's a bitch...
Iguess that means if we merge with a new partner while you are on furlough you will be put at the bottom of the list behind the new hires that are still on the east because you bring nothing to the merger.

How does it feel westie.

Not even the same situation by a long shot. As someone already pointed out, the west pilots being furloughed are senior to the new hires whether you use Nic, LOS, or DOH. We are only being furloughed because USAPA is allowing the company to whipsaw us. When the AWA/US merger happened, all the US furloughees were from the bottom of the list, as it should be. They had basically no career expectations and brought nothing to the table but the right to be re-hired.

Don't worry. The Nicolau decision will ultimately prevail.

Latest resources

Back