• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At first I thought this was the funniest post I had ever seen. The part about hoping you don't have a family argument, I don't even know what that means. I guess you mean that if he has an argument with his wife he won't be able to call up scheduling and leave town.

But then I realized that this was in fact the saddest post I had ever read. I think it's sad that you, General Lee, think so little of yourself. I think it's sad that you think your children (or possible future children, I don't know you) would love you less if you were not a pilot, or because you were around more. I guess you feel that if your around people for too long they will learn more about you and therefor like you, or love you, less.

Even your signature line speaks volumes. You quote Donald to show others (and yourself) that somebody, somewhere, thinks your an intelligent person.

I know your not asking for this General, but you have my pity.

I think you don't really understand him. It sounded like to me that he was hoping that Furloughed Again's probable dream to fly at USAir wouldn't be thrown away by possible family strife that many families have. If FA was happy with his decision, that is great. Hopefully FA will be happy with his life decision, and then that happiness will bubble over to his family also. His family should want to support what is in his heart, and if his dream was always to fly for them, then they should support that. I don't think General Lee wished him any harm. That is what I took from his post. Also, I have never seen him be mean to anyone unless he was slammed first. Save your pitty for someone else.

Last edited:
FA Good Luck with your decision.

At the end of the day, flying and airplane is just a job. It is a way to put a roof over your family's head, put food on the table and make the payments on a (hopefully) half decent car. At the end of the month, we hope there is enough left over to put away some cash for a rainy day and endulge in some pointless, yet enjoying, diversion such as chasing a small white ball around a large well manacured filed of grass. If you are lcuky enough to be in the left seat of some heavy metal flying to exotic locals, then more power to you.

I (still) love flying airplanes and would hate to go out and get a real job, but none of will know wheteher we have made the correct life choices until our 60th (ot 65th) birthday.

GT

I think you don't really understand him. It sounded like to me that he was hoping that Furloughed Again's probable dream to fly at USAir wouldn't be thrown away by possible family strife that many families have. If FA was happy with his decision, that is great. Hopefully FA will be happy with his life decision, and then that happiness will bubble over to his family also. His family should want to support what is in his heart, and if his dream was always to fly for them, then they should support that. I don't think General Lee wished him any harm. That is what I took from his post. Also, I have never seen him be mean to anyone unless he was slammed first. Save your pitty for someone else.

Heavy,

You hit the nail on the head. Some people just don't get it. I could see he REALLY wants to go back, and I was just cautiously warning him to follow his dreams and make sure he is happy. His family will follow him anywhere, and his own happiness will make his family happy too. Bad things also happen in relationships sometimes, and I hope it doesn't happen to him, but it can in this industry. If he wants to fly corporate, sobeit, but I hope he is satisfied with that decision deep down. It didn't seem like it with all of the threads he wrote. Good luck to him regardless.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

I had no intention of posting a response, but here goes.

You were partly correct. In many other threads I have been collecting information and soliciting advise for the last several months.

The message that started this thread, however, included no such solicitation. I made my decision and was simply sharing it with other furloughees along with those who helped me make my decision.

I think that despite what you say, some of the bitter tone in your original response was as a result of our exchange in another thread:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showpost.php?p=1389660&postcount=248

At the end of the day I can't figure out why you are even reading these threads.
1. You don't work for US Airways or AWA
2. You aren't furloughed
3. You have no such decision to make

So why come in here? You are preaching from on-high as if you have either the knowledge or experience to do so... but you have neither. You are just another pilot, for just another airline. You have no dog in this fight.

It is a free country. If you are so bored and want to read a thread that has nothing to do with you, your airline, your airplane, or your lot in life -- well I wouldn't try and stop you. But please understand why your advice is worth less to me than that of other furloughees, US Airways pilots, AWA pilots, and even other corporate pilots.

And, as has been mentioned here time and again, my decision was made before I typed the first word of this thread. Best of luck to you on your career at Delta.

actually, they did.... when Rollin King was running it, it was called "Air Southwest" using prop aircraft charters around TX. I know, that was before the "real" Southwest started with 737s. I'm just bored...

Do you know if there are any pictures out there on the web.

heh... the General finds out that he is the only one who thinks he is a god. Funny.

Nah, I actually read the posts and can tell what they are actually saying. Your post, for example, shows that you are inept and a follower.

Bye Bye--General Lee

FWIW:
This week I got in contact with a few people from my newhire class. It's only a half dozen people or so, but what is interesting is that I have not found 1 person who is accepting recall from this Jan 99 class.

3 pilots are at FedEx
1 pilot is an assistant chief pilot at Skywest
2 pilots are at AirTran
1 NetJets
3 Corporate including myself

I wonder how many people they will find to attend the Sept 17th class?

Last edited:
FA,

Good post. And good luck. You certainly provided lots of food for thought to those of us who are just looking to start down this road.

Latest resources

Back