• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
152SIC. I think you may be mistaken when you say, "It has nothing to do regarding prestige, ego or image for most of us."

There are still a lot of folks who fit that mold.

Perhaps there is.

However, when you throw a family into the mix your priorities change. And hopefully they change in a good way.

Flying for a company which does not have your families needs set as a top priority is a non-starter in my book.

I think you have thought this through well and made the right decision.

Thanks for sharing, it has been truly enlightening. I am making the same decision, and all the "good" posts have been invaluable.

FWIW:
This week I got in contact with a few people from my newhire class. It's only a half dozen people or so, but what is interesting is that I have not found 1 person who is accepting recall from this Jan 99 class.

3 pilots are at FedEx
1 pilot is an assistant chief pilot at Skywest
2 pilots are at AirTran
1 NetJets
3 Corporate including myself

I wonder how many people they will find to attend the Sept 17th class?

There are 3 of us here (NJA) that I know of from 6/99.

1 FredEx
1 Corp
2 AWA/US West
2 JetBlue
2 AirTran

This was NOT a tough decision if one isolates the feelings out of the decision and uses facts.

Pay? Not settled in one contract yet.
Working conditions? Same.
Seniority list? Up in te air.

Debate what you will about what I just wrote (if it makes you feel good) but the job "offer" extended by US to the furloughees is half-ass at best filled with more than it's fair share of holes, "what if's" and "just maybe's". I and many others can't bare to expose ourselves and our families to more "maybe's".

If we were in our 20's flying BE1900s for $12/hr., US would look good. We're all in our 30s-40s now with responsibilities.

The memories of Inez calling to make the offer, the 1st landing in the A320 in LAX (greaser), the countless number of friendships... these are all good things.

One thing is for certain, friendships are the one thing that tends to last the longest in this crazy industry... perhaps the only thing.

Nothing is uglier than a man who wraps his identity in his career. When I get out of an airplane and go home, I don't want to think about flying. Why are so many pilots so myopic? All of this consternation about what the ultimate goal is, where it is, how much it pays. All of my real goals in life have nothing to do with my "career" as a pilot. If the biggest thing in life is finally getting to fly a ______, then you're as shallow as a puddle.

Flying for a company which does not have your families needs set as a top priority is a non-starter in my book.

LOL! Yeah... forget shareholder value, return on equity, free cash flow and all those other pesky corporate things... we here at "XYZ Airlines" are only concerned with the needs our our employees' families! :laugh:

BBB

This feminist, Oprah type psychobabble has gone to far. My dad flew four day trips, commuted, etc. yet somehow I knew he was my dad and he loved us.

I don't have any kids, and with all the modern bs about what constitutes family I'm glad I don't. The world is going to hell in a handbasket, we're fast turning into a society of sissies.

Men the world over need to regain custody of their nads.

Last edited:
This feminism, Oprah type psychobabble has gone to far. My dad flew four day trips, commuted, etc. yet somehow I knew he was my dad and he loved us.

... The world is going to hell in a handbasket, we're fast turning into a society of sissies.

I agree. If I read another post about not working because "it takes me away from my family", or "I'm scared to fly internationally because I'm so far from home and all layovers (Paris, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vienna, Frankfurt, Madrid, etc...) are boring without my family, or night flying is tiring... I think I'm going to hurl.

Bend over, look between your legs and no doubt some of you will see nothing! :laugh:

BBB

LOL! Yeah... forget shareholder value, return on equity, free cash flow and all those other pesky corporate things... we here at "XYZ Airlines" are only concerned with the needs our our employees' families! :laugh:

BBB

Hahaha, yeah. As someone with a masters in economic theory I can understand your satire. What I was alluding to was the corporate culture. Many companies don't concern themselves with their employees wellbeing.

As an employee that should be cause for concern.

Latest resources

Back