• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
My fellow pilots,

The November bid includes 165 recalls. With a roughly 10% recall rate anticipated, this bid should exhaust the furlough list and generate meaningful hiring for US Airways.

I have been told to expect the "take it or leave it" letter within the next two weeks, and that classdates will be scheduled in September and October.

Over the last several months I have labored over this decision. I have spent countless hours on the internet on this forum and many others. I have spent hours more on the telephone with former co-workers, other furloughees, family and friends deliberating over the decision.

5 years is a long time. Honestly I can barely remember what the job was like at US Airways. Over the last 5 years i've worked for 2 regionals before ending up at a corporate flight department. I've moved twice. Our son was born and may take his first steps any day.

I wonder whether i'm the same man I was years ago. Honestly I doubt it. When I started my first job as a Jetstream 31 first officer with Chautauqua I never imagined that I would spend the next decade working for 3 regionals, 1 lcc, 1 major only to end up flying a 7 passenger corporate jet. The airline pilot lifestyle was all I ever wanted. I remember looking at that Jetstream as though it were the finest airplane in the sky. I was proud of the aircraft, proud of the uniform, and proud of the job. I polished my shoes, wore my hat, and dreamed of the day that I would make the inevitable leap to the cockpit of a Boeing.

When that day came in 1999 and US Airways began hiring 100 pilots each month after my date of hire, I thought I had won the lottery. The job was almost everything I dreamed of. Most of my frustrations were with the association. I honestly felt as though ALPA was damaging my career far more then they were helping it. At every turn they seemed intent upon building new barriers to prevent the company from competing in the airline industry. The contract was amazing, and I appreciated everything it offered, but as I became more involved and attended ALPA meetings I realized that I completely misunderstood ALPA's mission. To me the union's motto should have been "ALPA: Job security is Job #1". But it wasn't. ALPA protected its most senior members at the expense of it's most junior. It robbed from the poor, to give to the rich.

Later, with thousands of pilots on furlough, ALPA would continue to shield it's most senior members by allowing the company to raise pay-caps, by continuing to allow the outsourcing of an armada of regional jets, by failing its most junior members.

The national union leadership could clearly see that a nationwide whipsaw was in effect couldn't they? How could they successfully represent both the US Airways pilots who had lost their jobs and the regional jet pilots who were reaping the benefit?

Over the last 5 years the airline pilot profession has changed. Compensation, lifestyle, work-rules, duty rigs, and retirement have all suffered. Narrowbody jets with as many as 95 passenger seats are flown by outsourced feeders at a fraction of the pay and benefits that such positions should command... and pilots line up for those positions. Pilots spend countless nights away from their families in pursuit of a lifestyle that no longer exists. Except for those rare few who work for FedEx or UPS, the dream is dead.

The profession does not protect experience. If US Airways were to disappear tomorrow its pilots, should they choose to continue in their profession, would start over. Just as the 1800+ furloughees were forced to find employment as commuter first officers, charter pilots, expatriots (yes, they left their COUNTRY to achieve some measure of success in exchange for their sacrifice)... so too would those who found themselves unemployed due to the destruction of the airline. Who is at fault? Managers who lack the ability to control pricing? ALPA who is incapable of putting a premium on experience and creating a national seniority list to prevent pilots from becoming handcuffed to a single operator?

I'm rambling.

So I made an extensive list of pros and cons. I carried the list with me for weeks and added to it whenever a thought came to me. I stared at that list time and time again trying to see a clear answer. Accept the recall, or abandon the dream in favor of my new life.

I emphasize how much time I put into this because I want the young pilots who read this thread to understand how much time and effort had been put into achieving that major airline position -- and that giving it up has been no easy decision.

But that is the decision I made.

I'm going to remain with the corporate flight department where I am currently employed. It is by no means perfect, but it offers me a lifestyle that could only be enjoyed by the most senior airline pilots. As I write this I sit in a hotel on one of the very rare overnights we are scheduled for. My son's photograph is the wallpaper on my laptop and I can't help but wonder what he is doing right now. Every day he does something that he has never done before and watching him discover the world is just amazing to me. I miss my wife and son after less than 24 hours away. How could I even consider commuting to sit in a Philadelphia crash-pad for days at a time missing out on all of that?

Make no mistake. This has not been easy. I've wanted to be an airline pilot for as long as I can remember. I was that kid -- the one who had no other hobbies, no other interests. I was singularly focused on that airline career.

So thank you everyone for all of the advice, the insider information, the emails and PMs, the phone calls, and the friendship you have provided to help me make this choice. I wish all of the US Airways pilots -- east and west -- the very best. There is something about that airline. Something more than airplanes, tugs, and people. It will survive and prosper in spite of itself. East and West pilots need to come together and take back ALPA.

No more meetings at high priced resorts. Hold your meetings where pilots can attend -- airport hotels at the domiciles. Spend your membership dollars as if they were your own. No more meals at 4 star restaurants. Protect your junior pilots. They are the foundation upon which the profession is being built. Defend their jobs as if they were your own...failure to do so will cause more and more pilots to "look out for #1"... The result of that practice is apparent. G0-Jets, SkyBus, Virgin America...

Good luck to all, and thank you. The experience I gained flying by your sides has made me the pilot that I am today. I will not forget the lessons learned.

All my best,
FurloughedAgain
Furloughed March 02

PS - If you are furloughed and sharing my decision has helped you make your own, please rate this thread above. It would be nice to know I helped.

As I'm sure you know, I disagree with pretty much everything you said about ALPA, but I understand your frustrations. I wish you luck, and I hope things turn out well for you for the remainder of your career.

Wow... I just read this for the first time today, and I pretty much have had the exact same feelings/experiences as you. I'm still currently flying in the airlines, but am looking for a new career, again.. I was furloughed when my son was 2 months old and I didn't start flying in the airlines for 3 years - that was the hardest thing i've ever done -Having to leave my son at home as he cried to go back to a job where I was not appreciated, paid poorly, treated poorly, etc....

best of luck to you and your family.

Well, you made your decision and that's all anyone can really do. I hope it works for you. Airline flying is not for everyone, and some people are a lot more family oriented than others. Just hope for a few things: your company doesn't go to a fractional operator, you don't have a large family argument, and your kids don't join the wrong click and try to avoid you because you "aren't cool anymore." If any of those things happen, you may regret your decision. Good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Smart man, I think many will be following in your footsteps. I've not yet been in the airlines for 10 years but I'm always looking for a way out, and when I find it I'll be gone too.

It's too bad, it could have been a great career. It's what I always wanted to do. Life is too short to waste it away being an airline pilot these days though... away from home 2x as much as your average Joe.

Frankly I'm amazed anyone signs up for this gig anymore.... I suppose it's the allure of what it used to be and a lack of education as to what it's become.

I understand your feelings about family. I have a 11 month old my self and it's really cool when your home watching them explore and learn and it really really sucks when they do something cool and your gone hearing about it over the phone. God bless you and your family. Good luck!

Congrats on your wise choice, and thanks for your courage in posting the truth regarding the ALPA cult.

You hit the nail right on the head. Unions exist for the sole purposes of protecting it's most senior members, and for no other reason. Most of us have figured that out, to some level or another.

The difference is that not many have the courage to share the truth publicly.

Well, you made your decision and that's all anyone can really do. I hope it works for you. Airline flying is not for everyone, and some people are a lot more family oriented than others. Just hope for a few things: your company doesn't go to a fractional operator, you don't have a large family argument, and your kids don't join the wrong click and try to avoid you because you "aren't cool anymore." If any of those things happen, you may regret your decision. Good luck to you.
ah, the always magnanimous general. "good luck with your decision. i sincerely hope your life doesn't come crumbling apart because of your stupidity."

i think the guy clearly knows what he's doing and what's really important.

by the way, general, i sincerely hope that no more of your flying gets outsourced to regionals or cabotage, your wife doesn't screw around while you're on the road, and your kids don't end up in juvy because there's no present father figure in their lives.

You hit the nail right on the head. Unions exist for the sole purposes of protecting it's most senior members, and for no other reason.

While that may be true of ALPA (I don't know), it certainly isn't true of all unions. I've been absolutely blown away by how good my union has been here at Netjets, even as a new guy. An absolute night-and-day difference compared to my previous non-union job.

A union is what its members make of it. If it's made up of apathetic members who are only out for themselves, then that's the representation you get. I get more than my dues' worth, that's for sure.

Latest resources

Back