• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, you sound really cool and very much informed. NOT. No work rules were taken. We got a large check ($180,000 for me) for the claim sale to cover for pay cuts (USAir guys got a $4400 check for a XMAS bonus, and I got $180,000 as an FO), and we are getting another check (over $50,000 up to $250,000) for the pension dump, plus we get a B fund (DC fund) in our own names which we can take with us, and an 11% contribution each month by the company for it. You are such a joke. Make sure you do some research before you look dumb. I said furloughed again made his own decision, but he wanted some advice and I gave it to him. He continually came on here looking for advice, which in reality was him reaching out for help, wanting people to tell him not to return. It is his choice, but it could be the wrong one. Regardless, you sound like a complete noodle.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Actually, it doesn't come across as advice. It sounds like you are wishing the guy a lousy family life, a crappy carreer and a broken life. Every one of us could become the victim of furlough, divorce or children who take the wrong path. This guy is doing his level best to make a decision that prevents all that and you come across sounding like leaving U will lead to a broken life. Every one else is wishing the guy the best of luck. Would it kill you that much to just show a little support?

Can we stop slamming General Lee who is clearly innarticulate but I think well-meaing (I hope so). Instead, let's thank furloughedagain for his great series of posts over the past few months. Those posts have helped me contemplate my future in the airline business. Family time is more important to me than flying a big jet with super-old stews to some foreign destination. Furloughedagain's posts have been very thought provoking and I wish him well. I think you have the right perspective and we can all learn something from that.

Personally, I think it was a smart move - I don't think the situation at USAirways will get any better in the near or medium term. I would probably keep a solid corporate job myself - plus, Lears can be really fun to fly...

I said it before and I'll say it again . there is no shame in a career flying an airplane that isn't manufactured by Boeing,Airbus,or Douglas. If you can provide for your family and have their love and support in your endeavors,and manage to hang on to your health,(not to mention your sanity:nuts: ) what difference does it make what you fly?

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor. Don't worry about me and my "east coast cohorts.",ok? Because unlike you,when this whole thing comes crashing down around our ears,(and chances are better than 50/50 it may do just that) we'll get over it and move on with our lives. Something tells me the same can't be said about you because this whole idea of you and Delta is your life,your entire life;and nothing but your life. And that my friend is sad. Truly sad. I have more respect for guys like Swaayze and Furloughed Again for making the tough call that they did than I will ever have for pilots the likes of you who think of this job as some sort of be all and end all.

Trust me, I really don't worry about you guys. I gave my opinion because he asked for it. And, I actually have a great life, and you know nothing about it except that I have a lot of posts on FI thanks to me actually debating issues with everyone that responds to me. That's how I like it, and I don't need your respect, I really don't.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Something tells me Delta will be long out of business before his corporate flight department sheds even one airplane. No wonder why most of us on this webboard think you're such a stooge.:rolleyes:

Will you save me a spot in the unemployment line? You will be there first I am sure.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Actually, it doesn't come across as advice. It sounds like you are wishing the guy a lousy family life, a crappy carreer and a broken life. Every one of us could become the victim of furlough, divorce or children who take the wrong path. This guy is doing his level best to make a decision that prevents all that and you come across sounding like leaving U will lead to a broken life. Every one else is wishing the guy the best of luck. Would it kill you that much to just show a little support?

Hey, I wished him luck, alright. I just KNOW that he has been asking a lot of questions on FI because in reality he really does want to go back to USAir. This hasn't been an isolated question etc, it has been several threads. I gave him my opinion and I said I wished him well.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Great Post furloughed
A few years ago, I finally got called by the major I had always wanted to work at. I interviewed and was offered the job. After doing much the same thing you did, I turned it down. To be honest, after the decision is made, it all becomes a lot easier. Life is about the relationships with the people in our lives. Im entering my 11th year of flying a crummy mid 80s turboprop, and Ive never been happier. I won't ever spend another Christmas in a hotel, and wont ever miss my daughter's birthday again. All the best to you and your family.

Will you save me a spot in the unemployment line? You will be there first I am sure.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nope .Won't even waste my time. Because when you guys do shut the door ,you'll probably be spending the rest of your life on your shrinks couch ,trying to figure out where it all went "so terribly wrong":rolleyes:

General,

He wasn't asking for opinions in this thread. Your negativity was wrong place, wrong time. I am happy for you DAL folks that things look good over there. I just don't understand the mindset of someone who seems to enjoy pontificating on the not so rosy picture other of us may be facing. Anyway....

FA, obviously I think you've chosen wisely. We are simply not of a singular focus on career anymore and this particular option isn't attractive enough to pursue at this point. Simple as that IMO. God (or fate if you prefer) has a way of taking us where we are supposed to be regardless of our decisions, so it WILL work out as it's intended in due time. Take care and enjoy your family. You'll find it's nice finally having some "stability" (such as it is in this biz) in life so make some plans!

Re: General Lee

Unfortunately, there are many at Delta like General Lee. I saw a lot of the "we're better than they are" and "we have more than them" attitudes. Not a majority, but definitely a large percentage. I couldn't even begin to guess the number of times I heard a Delta crew member make derogatory comments about fellow aviators...not just regionals or corporate, but all segments of aviation including other majors. It just blew me away how ignorant some Delta pilots were of other pilot groups in the industry. I think the General is probably knowledgeable of other groups but just has major SJS. I'm sure other pilot groups are similar, but my experience was with Delta. It was certainly part of my decision to resign, but not a major one. I won't list all the reasons why my current job is better than Delta on it's best day, but there are many and I couldn't imagine still being in that quagmire of an industry.

At any rate, FurlougedAgain, I wish you the best of luck. You made the right decision albeit the toughest one of your life. Your well articulated post is a great read for anyone considering a move to the airlines.

Latest resources

Back