USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No patience

I read the post, then the few replies and skipped to the last page knowing 20% of the posts had something to say and 80% were BS-

I want to bandwagon with the guy that said something to the effect of "putting a bet on a bad horse". I was lucky enough to join the industry after 9/11 with a great company (SWA). Why go with them, not because of their 10K or bottom line, they were the ones that called. Luckily, i feel like it is the perfect fit for me.
The guys i like talking too are the captains that made a choice BEFORE 9/11 to stay at SWA or leave for the "greener" fields of the Majors. When FO's at Majors were almost making more than them. They were the smart ones. The one that didn't look at pilots W-2's but the companies bottom line. They all say they knew it was a solid company and enjoyed the culture/environment.

So you guys going back after being put on the street after 4/5 years what are they looking at? The paycheck or the bottom line. Is it the great culture of your former airline or you enjoy working with the one you just acquired? Have they changed the inertia of your pre-9/11 company and gone a completely new direction? How well will this horse do in the next race?

I know SWA is doing well now but it is a dog eat dog business. I know that what i'm doing can change at the drop of a hat. Or some dude that grew up in a hut halfway around the world can ruin my career. I've got a solid backup plan if this doesn't go. Continuing to get an education outside of the business when that day comes (assume the worst hope for the best). It is still a great career with the right company.

Great post FA

I take that back, nothing uglier than narcissism wrapped in machismo.

"It's true... people do judge you by the words you use..."

Say... after you've mastered it... may (expresses desire versus "can" which expresses ability) I borrow your "Verbal Advantage" thingie? :D

BBB

I read the post, then the few replies and skipped to the last page knowing 20% of the posts had something to say and 80% were BS-

I want to bandwagon with the guy that said something to the effect of "putting a bet on a bad horse". I was lucky enough to join the industry after 9/11 with a great company (SWA). Why go with them, not because of their 10K or bottom line, they were the ones that called. Luckily, i feel like it is the perfect fit for me.
The guys i like talking too are the captains that made a choice BEFORE 9/11 to stay at SWA or leave for the "greener" fields of the Majors. When FO's at Majors were almost making more than them. They were the smart ones. The one that didn't look at pilots W-2's but the companies bottom line. They all say they knew it was a solid company and enjoyed the culture/environment.

So you guys going back after being put on the street after 4/5 years what are they looking at? The paycheck or the bottom line. Is it the great culture of your former airline or you enjoy working with the one you just acquired? Have they changed the inertia of your pre-9/11 company and gone a completely new direction? How well will this horse do in the next race?

I know SWA is doing well now but it is a dog eat dog business. I know that what i'm doing can change at the drop of a hat. Or some dude that grew up in a hut halfway around the world can ruin my career. I've got a solid backup plan if this doesn't go. Continuing to get an education outside of the business when that day comes (assume the worst hope for the best). It is still a great career with the right company.

Great post FA

Very good post. I too went to the first major airline that called me for an interview. Unfortunately it wasn't Southwest. I am also furthering my work outside of aviation so I can one day leave. The culture at AmWest is already eroding. Just recently our awesome chief pilots office was told(by ex-East pilot/management A-hole) they are too nice to the pilots. WTF? Unfortunately I think this career has gotten to the point where if you can't get on with Southwest, FedEx or UPS it just isn't worth it.

You seem angry Flylow. Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to stress, stress leads to doobies, and doobies lead to twinkies." - Yoda

I think they are smoking Doobies in Tempe.

Very good post. I too went to the first major airline that called me for an interview. Unfortunately it wasn't Southwest. I am also furthering my work outside of aviation so I can one day leave. The culture at AmWest is already eroding. Just recently our awesome chief pilots office was told(by ex-East pilot/management A-hole) they are too nice to the pilots. WTF? Unfortunately I think this career has gotten to the point where if you can't get on with Southwest, FedEx or UPS it just isn't worth it.

where did you hear this? Details????

This feminist, Oprah type psychobabble has gone to far. My dad flew four day trips, commuted, etc. yet somehow I knew he was my dad and he loved us.

I don't have any kids, and with all the modern bs about what constitutes family I'm glad I don't. The world is going to hell in a handbasket, we're fast turning into a society of sissies.

Men the world over need to regain custody of their nads.

Be carful looking for those nads, you just might find out you're a d*ck instead.

Just kidding, lighten up francis

Be carful looking for those nads, you just might find out you're a d*ck instead.

Just kidding, lighten up francis

I already know I'm a d*ck, or at least can be sometimes. You can take what I posted with a grain of salt, it was just an empty bloviation, of course typed words sometimes come across very literally.

In any case, I'll shut up. Carry on.

Couldn't have said better

Outstanding Post! To the point.

ALPA turns out to be in conflict of interest with itself. I've concluded a union can not properly represent a mainline operation and the regionals.

My data 50/18/11/bottom looming. Meaning- 50 years old, furloughed 11 of past 18 years, stapled to the bottom.

As to Big Beer Belly - we didn't all have a vast choice as to the carriers offering opportunities and in 1989 the future wasn't so clear, in 1999 maybe more so but again sometimes you have to go with the deal that is offered rather than hope for something better down the road. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Latest resources

Back