• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Upgrade time and retirements were such that, in 1999, US Airways looked to be the best airline for compensation, work rules, upgrade time, etc.

Didn't seem like much of a gamble to me at the time.

I remember when I was hired in 99, Metrojet was still working and I would probably upgrade there in 5 years. I did the senority predictor tool on Chips place in 99 and I was going to be the #1 pilot my last 3 years. Now with the Nicolau award, I was stapled to the bottom and probably 150 or less from the bottom of the list. Wanna talk about fair, come on. It made my decison a little easier not to go back. Thanks for the memories.

I remember when I was hired in 99, Metrojet was still working and I would probably upgrade there in 5 years. I did the senority predictor tool on Chips place in 99 and I was going to be the #1 pilot my last 3 years. Now with the Nicolau award, I was stapled to the bottom and probably 150 or less from the bottom of the list. Wanna talk about fair, come on. It made my decison a little easier not to go back. Thanks for the memories.

What are you talking about? You can't use you're career expectations from 1999 for a merger in 2006. When the merger was announced you where furloghed while I was looking at a 5-6 year upgrade. This is what drives us on the West nuts. Absolutely no concept of reality on the East side.

Upgrade time and retirements were such that, in 1999, US Airways looked to be the best airline for compensation, work rules, upgrade time, etc.

Didn't seem like much of a gamble to me at the time.

FA... I don't know how to put it any gentler but you failed to do your homework. You could be be a 121 capt, working about 4 days/month making 300+ if you had made a different choice in 1999.

BBB

In 1999 did you take a hard look at Airways or ask around a bit...those of use there could have predicted the truth. The airline was being prettied up and propped up by Wolf for the United merger. You were hired as training float for the new A319's. The "career expectations" you spoke of were a fantasy, as were mine as a 12-year F/O at the time.

If you were smart enough to pick up on that fact ,than why arent other guys and gals you fly with aren't? I don't get it.

PHXFLYR

It doesn't take balls to make a decision like this. You just take a deep breath, make a list of pros and cons, roll the dice, and try not to be a Monday morning quarterback.

I'm the biggest wimp I know! Maybe that's why I made the decision I made.

Best of luck to the 09/17 recall class this Monday.

I'll raise my glass and toast to you with a cold frosty barley malt this beautiful autumn-like weekend in the Ozarks.

Hopefully somebody will post how many show up.

Latest resources

Back