• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trust me, I really don't worry about you guys. I gave my opinion because he asked for it. And, I actually have a great life, and you know nothing about it except that I have a lot of posts on FI thanks to me actually debating issues with everyone that responds to me. That's how I like it, and I don't need your respect, I really don't.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

In exactly what part of FA's well written post did he ask for your opinion?

Outstanding post Furloughed!

It may not get you on the cover of ALPA mag., but, whatever.

All I remember about ALPA during the great airline race to bankruptcy protection, and then airline management’s free-for-all once under protection, was how tenacious ALPA was at getting into bed with the freight companies. ....

.....etc, etc. Full post not quoted to save FI bandwidth - megabytes aren't free.

Outstanding post there yourself, Mr. ratherfish.

As stated by a jump-seater as we waited for a lumbering 747 to clear our access to the gate: ' The bigger they are the further from home they take you.'

A true statement, the bottom line of course being that QOL is everything. As for the speed with which ALPA tried to slip under the covers with the Freight Dogs as the excreta of 9/11 hit the fan: remember, a whore is easy to meet.

Those shafted at Emery probably have a unique and accurate perspective as to this ALPA-climbing-into- bed-with-you issue. At least a whore when paid upfront delivers - has ALPA no shame? Naughty ALPA.

Perceptions of as opposed to the actuality of pilot lifestyle are presently displaced by a generation.

'twas a good gig while it lasted, but 'tain't no longer such.

Congratulations FA upon your decision. If you and your family can justify it then it's correct.

Last edited:
All of us think that is about to change. (Well,all of us except General Lee....;) )

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Well, you made your decision and that's all anyone can really do. I hope it works for you. Airline flying is not for everyone, and some people are a lot more family oriented than others. Just hope for a few things: your company doesn't go to a fractional operator, you don't have a large family argument, and your kids don't join the wrong click and try to avoid you because you "aren't cool anymore." If any of those things happen, you may regret your decision. Good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

At first I thought this was the funniest post I had ever seen. The part about hoping you don't have a family argument, I don't even know what that means. I guess you mean that if he has an argument with his wife he won't be able to call up scheduling and leave town.

But then I realized that this was in fact the saddest post I had ever read. I think it's sad that you, General Lee, think so little of yourself. I think it's sad that you think your children (or possible future children, I don't know you) would love you less if you were not a pilot, or because you were around more. I guess you feel that if your around people for too long they will learn more about you and therefor like you, or love you, less.

Even your signature line speaks volumes. You quote Donald to show others (and yourself) that somebody, somewhere, thinks your an intelligent person.

I know your not asking for this General, but you have my pity.

This is what is missing from private pilot 101......

FA, I wish I could buy you a beer my friend, because I believe its the intent behind the post as well as the actual content of it that has caused a good deal of reflection and thought. Thank you for sharing thoughts and a decision that must have been a long time in the thought process.

I have had the privelage of flying with pilots from airlines gone by and furloughed. I have 4 uniforms in the closet myself, so I understand certain "pain". Whether we got blindsided while at a major that was doing well or walked onboard another one that wasnt is immaterial.
(CAL was on life support in the early 90's with the worst management in history and look at them today. I dont think I need to go on with Pan Am, or little old SWA or a crappy Fedex early on etc etc....)
point is; hindsight is just as useless as runway behind you.

We all came in for many different reasons. Some wanted the left seat of a widebody along with everything that being there brings. Others were just content flying day trips in a Lear or KingAir to small municipal airports. It almost seems that on this board we might look down at a career CFI who may have trained us all, but yet not looked beyond Part 61, or 141. I realize that everyone's view point will be biased or limited by their personal experiences or by how well or not well aviation has been to them.

At the end of the day, for me personally it comes down to "why". Why did I want to be a pilot and why do I still want to be one? I think you'll find that those that placed money, prestige, exotic layovers, women etc etc... at the top of their reasons why,are the most dissapointed and bitter.

Too bad this sort of "caution" isnt thrown at prospective private pilots because it would really save some unnecessary grief and dissapointment.

There are those on here who have been fortunate. Who do have what they came looking for. General Lee seems to be one of these "fortunate ones" and I am glad that some people do find it.
General lee, you state that this isnt a popularity contest, but in subsequent posts, you counter with explanations on how you were helping or advising or wishing someone well. My suspicion is that you have come to realize that it may not entirely be your message but your delivery. You can say all the right things, but if your delivery is insensitive, callous, indifferent, or snobbish, everything you say will be thrown back at you, which is what has happened.
You may not care as much for being more understanding, but I hope what has happened to others doesnt happen to you, because it would really be a sad day for you to finally "get it" after having lost everything or alot. No one here is immune from their company going away, from a failed medical check, or from family disasters taking you away etc etc....

For those of you out there that are still relatively young and have less responibility I would just humbly advise that you at least give some thought to what some of the older and more experienced people on here post (like Furloughed again). You may not agree with him, but if something he says causes you to fine tune your "correction angle" or "track" then he has accomplished what he set out to do and you are the better for benefiting from his knowledge.

For those of us that have had to start over, those of us who have families and battle with being away or with making decisions similar to FA, I would like to offer the following which have served to guide and help my long term thinking.

From Antoine de Saint-Exupery's "Wind, Sand and Stars"

We forget that there is no hope of joy except in human relations. If I summon up those memories that have left with me an enduring savor, if I draw up the balance sheet of the hours of my life that have truly counted, surely I find only those that no wealth could have procured me.

There is also the definition of Success By Ralph Waldo Emerson which I adopt as my own.

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

I would sure hate to reap the day when I look back and realize that the countless hours spent in commuting or on reserve or in a hotel room away from family chasing immaterial things or goals were for naught because I have no money, and the economy, or the company, or pax have sapped the passion out of my life and left me dis-illusioned and bitter because there was nothing else in my life other than aviation.

I hope this doesnt come across as some rant, as I just wanted to share some of my own thoughts and advice gained from my experience with life so far.

All the best to everyone on here!

To B737Dvr,

That is one heck of a good, mature response and doesn't come close to a rant.

Compliments to you, I couldn't agree more to everything you said.

B737dvr,

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Far too good a post for this site. I suggest finding a site where you can converse with intelligent, wise people.[/FONT]

Hey BJ. I know you're reading this. Heard you and Susan were chatting about me on the crew bus the other day! Hope all is well my friend. Drop me a PM sometime.

Latest resources

Back