• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Contract Projections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You haven't seen the route maps. There is very little overlap.

I haven't seen the routemaps?

Who are you, my guardian angel?

I have seen them.

Look, I'm not saying that individual routes overlap. They don't. But I just see a lot of areas where there is a lot of overlapping service within the region. i.e. if someone wants to fly on Merged-US-AA from IAH to LHR, do they need connecting options in ORD, JFK, PHL, MIA, and CLT? That can be consolidated. Look at what DL has done with MEM and CVG. That's all my point is.

I think pilot career progression would be much better at each carrier if there were no merge.

I have seen them.

Look, I'm not saying that individual routes overlap. They don't. But I just see a lot of areas where there is a lot of overlapping service within the region. i.e. if someone wants to fly on Merged-US-AA from IAH to LHR, do they need connecting options in ORD, JFK, PHL, MIA, and CLT? That can be consolidated. Look at what DL has done with MEM and CVG. That's all my point is.

I think pilot career progression would be much better at each carrier if there were no merge.

You may very well be right about this. I am looking at the domestic and international route charts right now (AA red LCC blue) and I still think there is very little overlap. I've never been a believer in the "shrink to profitabily" theory so if I were king (which I will be soon) I would want a hub in every big city.

Not an airline captain but a Marine Lieutent Colonel...got passed over for O6 a million times and took the hint and retired. We already know that you want a guy in traing to win an arbitration and be us old guys captains but sit back a second...do you really think we aren't going to fight it? You do have to admit one thing...we have fought it for quite a few years without losing yet!
You also havent won. SO in essense you are losing, everyday. The money you should have earned, vacation time with family and time off with grand kids because you are supporting a fallacy. All to be the lowest paid pilots. You're certainly stuck on "guys who were in training", it tells me that you were furloughed.

Everyone else knows that USAPA's sole purpose is a DOH land grab where a furloughed FO can unseat a working captain.

Inflammatory crap alert!

No one's unseating anyone, and that wasn't going to happen under any circumstances at any point in the history of this debacle.

Perhaps...just maybe....irresponsible rhetoric like this has hindered the two groups from moving forward.

Good luck with the turbo-growth in PHX. Hope you can find enough good pilots in the pipeline to handle it. I heard there was going to be a PHX-TUS-YUM shuttle operation starting up.....going to be HUGE! Finally, your career expectations are going to be realized (one way, or another.)

You may very well be right about this. I am looking at the domestic and international route charts right now (AA red LCC blue) and I still think there is very little overlap. I've never been a believer in the "shrink to profitabily" theory so if I were king (which I will be soon) I would want a hub in every big city.

That's just it though. A hub in every big city never lasts.

Does CLT have enough O&D to support a hub if it no longer is needed for connections? US Airways utilizes it to backup PHL east of the Mississippi, which works great, but if DFW and ORD exist, is CLT needed? Or would CLT go the way of CVG/MEM have, with flights to the hubs but nonstop service to other destinations dwindling down to almost nothing?

Same with out west. PHX is a robust hub so would flights be siphoned out of other west hubs such as LAX to consolidate?

Management loves to tout the synergies in a merge, but it's kind of a euphemism for "cutting out the slop" and condensing things. This always results in less employees.

I hope if this merge happens, that there is a minimal amount of that.

As everyone's posts indicate, it's all about seniority...

Just like Crandall said on Bloomberg... pilot seniority cooperation is the key to the merger. APA and USAPA reps are way more rational about this than the majority of posters here.

I have seen them.

Market forces would cause a shift in flying whether US Airways merges or not. The airline cannon survive on its own unless it undercuts competition via labor disfunction. A merger will deliver the substantial and job security.

That's just it though. A hub in every big city never lasts.

Does CLT have enough O&D to support a hub if it no longer is needed for connections? US Airways utilizes it to backup PHL east of the Mississippi, which works great, but if DFW and ORD exist, is CLT needed? Or would CLT go the way of CVG/MEM have, with flights to the hubs but nonstop service to other destinations dwindling down to almost nothing?

Same with out west. PHX is a robust hub so would flights be siphoned out of other west hubs such as LAX to consolidate?

Management loves to tout the synergies in a merge, but it's kind of a euphemism for "cutting out the slop" and condensing things. This always results in less employees.

I hope if this merge happens, that there is a minimal amount of that.

American is very weak in the Southeast. Yes, Miami is in the Southeast, but no one is going to fly from Augusta to Miami to connect to the North or Western corners of the US.

The CLT Airport has 30 million people traveling though it a year. The terminals packed shoulder to shoulder and the airport authority believes there will be a substantial increase in O&D. Orr is planning on two more runways (between 36L/36C and West of 36L), an underground train system and two more separate terminals.

The Airport continues to acquire land on all sides:
Please be sure you review these files:

Last edited:
West pilots, Zero.

East Pilots:

141 new captain awards on A330, 767, 737, 320
181 New FO bids
98 New FOs on A330, 767
Untold numbers of people getting off reserve across all types

450 East new hires in 2013 according to the school house.

Latest resources

Back