• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Contract Projections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Will they staff the 6 open 737 FO positions in PHL? 7 lines of flying and 22 FO's leaves 15 guys on reserve. Hope they do, I like flying once a month (or less, that's fine with me too).

I'm guessing some of the high ratio of FOs to Capt is training float since most everyone on it as an FO is either a new hire inbound or on it now and bidding up to better things.. ie. lots of musical chairs cycling through the school house over the next year.

This latest bid had 29 retirements. A relatively low number compared to what's coming. Of those retirements, 25 were Captains and only 4 F/O's...

Also this bid has 96 Captain vacancies (only 9 in the 190). So those old F/O's are all upgrading. And the F/O's right behind them are moving into the 75/76 and the 330 positions. All those F/O positions pay more than any West equipment. So almost 100 new Captains and massive movement into the widebodies... That's just on ONE bid! Many more bids to come soon, probably with even greater movement...

So I think we are ok with separate ops... Even Dave Odell is on the Airbus in DCA with over 179 pilots below him company wide. Add to that the 133 un-filled positions on this bid and he will have 312 pilots below him by March. He missed the 767 by 44 numbers. The next bid could see him flying to Europe in a 767, something not available to him in PHX. And that is on a 2008 DOH. I'm sure he would like a DOH seniority list to move him up to a 2005 DOH. But ya never know...

I think what really shocks people is the abysmal captain pay. Who cares if you upgrade when you only make 124/hr under a terrible contract with no end in sight? Are you better off as number 1 on the US Airways seniority list or number 2,500 at Fedex?

If Dave wants to go to Europe he's probably better off non revving there than flying a clapped out 767 with a nasty old crew in the back. Bragging about your movement on the east side is like bragging about having the biggest lot in the trailer park.

I think what really shocks people is the abysmal captain pay. Who cares if you upgrade when you only make 124/hr under a terrible contract with no end in sight? Are you better off as number 1 on the US Airways seniority list or number 2,500 at Fedex?

If Dave wants to go to Europe he's probably better off non revving there than flying a clapped out 767 with a nasty old crew in the back. Bragging about your movement on the east side is like bragging about having the biggest lot in the trailer park.

Yeah, the grapes are sour here, nobody would want them.

Strange thing is somehow FedEx hasn't hired all the pilots that are looking for a job. No shortage of highly experienced pilots showing up to class, and they are happy to be here.

In this industry there is no sense in waiting to be happy until you are living the dream you hope/expect your job to become.

Cheers

Hint: anyone under 50yrs of age at the USEast subsidiary of AWA. They will find that the west will have a very long memory.

So essentially you are threatening the new-hires? You plan on treating us as pettily as you've felt you've been treated? "My wife from my arranged marriage is a bitch, so I beat my children." Sweet bro, maybe the east and west have a lot in common after all.

So essentially you are threatening the new-hires? You plan on treating us as pettily as you've felt you've been treated? "My wife from my arranged marriage is a bitch, so I beat my children." Sweet bro, maybe the east and west have a lot in common after all.

Once again I find myself agreeing Drizzle. Bringupthebird is the first and so far only Westie to earn my Azz Hat designation. Either he is unaware of the existence of a third list and the fact that returning west furloughs are also on this list. (doubtful) Or the more likely reality that he is a bitter old man who speaks in generalizations and blanket threats. He definitely does not seem to care that he is alienating the only voting block that could help with the majority problem the west is having. I am pretty sure no one on the property wants off of LOA93 rates more than the 3rd list who are stuck at year 4 and below rates. He would do the West pilot group a big favor by STFU and let the more rational (Cactus Boy for example ) do the posting.

For those who have been hired in the last 1 - 2 years at US Airways... Are you happy?

I certainly can't answer for them, but I would venture to say most are happy. The pay could always be better, and it will happen eventually. Regardless of what it seems like it may be on the line from this website, I doubt they hear much of anything about the East/West battle unless they come on here on an overnight.

I certainly can't answer for them, but I would venture to say most are happy. The pay could always be better, and it will happen eventually. Regardless of what it seems like it may be on the line from this website, I doubt they hear much of anything about the East/West battle unless they come on here on an overnight.

Agreed. I've only been here a few months, the pay is best qualified as "********************." That said, it's the best job I've had. And when I do rarely fly everybody I work with is either a class act, hilarious, or both. The only time I've heard the east-west stuff come up was when some JBLU ****************************** brought it up on the jumpseat and started talking about his take-home pay on the Airbus as it compared to my captain's.:rolleyes:

Yes other than the pay I am happy with my choice. It's true you do not hear much of the East vrs West crap while out on the road. The few times it has come up I explain it this way. I think most third lister folks are going to vote for what ever gets them to a livable wage the quickest. If it contains the Nic then the East is pissed but I still get paid. If it contains DOH the West is pissed but I still get paid. Are you starting to see a trend here? We are on the bottom of the list no matter what so don't bother trying to drag us into your mess. I just explain my view as tactfully as possible. Everyone I have had to explain my position to appears to understand completely and that is the end of it. On to the next subject which usually revolves around where we are going to go to eat. I do not offer my opinion on who I think is right or wrong. I was not involved in getting these two groups to where they are now and my opinion brings nothing constructive to their argument so it remains mine. The only time I may regret my decision to hire on with Airways is when I come on to FI and watch yet another thread degenerate to the usual circle jerk that they all inevitably turn into.

Last edited:
Other than captains calling me dumb for coming here its been good. If this stalemate continues and the pay stays in the toilet I might recant that in a few years. Oh and also my flying skillz are going down the tube.

Latest resources

Back