• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, well...I say let's checkin with reality. 6 UAL jets reposessed by creditors 2 weeks ago. US house voted NOT to allow PBCG to assume UAL's massive pension problem. Senate votes next week. The real mccoy will be show when UAL mgmt reports to the Court this week. I think the UAL problem has been in the making since the mid 90's. I was very suprised to hear that while making record profits in the 90's UAL was paying the bear minimum on pensions with borrowed money. labbats is on the right track.

"KInd of like what the taxpayers might be saying to United, especially after getting saddled with your pension payments.[/QUOTE]"

Ty, Nice spin.....UAL along with other companies have been paying to the PBGC monies in order for the pensions to be insured, I believe it's called a premium. Sort of like your car insuraunce, albeit on a grander scale.

You nor the taxpayers are getting " saddled " with their pensions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

787 said:
I was very suprised to hear that while making record profits in the 90's UAL was paying the bear minimum on pensions with borrowed money. labbats is on the right track.

You guy's kill me :)...Where did you get this stuff from?

787 said:
Well, well...I say let's checkin with reality. 6 UAL jets reposessed by creditors 2 weeks ago. US house voted NOT to allow PBCG to assume UAL's massive pension problem.

Actually they voted to restrict the PBCG from using government money (ie taxes) to fund the pensions. Since the PBCG doesn't use government money anyway, it didn't mean much.

Years ago while jump seating to ORD on United in 1991, the captain of the united flight during our conversation about where I worked told me that my current airline, TWA was guilty of holding down the industry pay rates and if we would just go out of business, that it would help everyone's pay increase. I politely replied that I was sorry he felt that way but with all due respect, I wanted TWA to survive and I felt that he was out of line in saying that. He replied that I would just get on at United and things would be OK. I replied with, "sorry but you don't do the hiring at United and I was quite happy working at TWA and he was being a tad bit selfish.
The rest of the flight was a quiet one. Imagine that.
Now we move ahead 14 years.....................I would love to talk with that same captain.
Depending upon where you sit determines your view of the world around you.
Then and now I still think that guy was a jerk!

Ty, Nice spin.....UAL along with other companies have been paying to the PBGC monies in order for the pensions to be insured, I believe it's called a premium. Sort of like your car insuraunce, albeit on a grander scale.

You nor the taxpayers are getting " saddled " with their pensions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Not now, we're not . . . . but if the other airlines follow UAL's "shining example". the PBGC will need a bailout . . . from Uncle Sam. And who is Uncle Sam?

You betcha.

1. lawmakers voted not to let taxpayers pay for UAL pensions, not the PBGC. taxpayers won't be paying apparently.
2. national seniority list....yeah that's reasonable. why don't we just have national seniority list for every job in the US.
3. airbusnut.......you're not a bit stressed are you? takin' out a little anger on someone who doesn't understand your plight is a bit overboard for a message board.

seefive said:
national seniority list....yeah that's reasonable. why don't we just have national seniority list for every job in the US.

I don;t think you quite get it. It's not a national seniority list . . . it is a professional association that sets minimum pay and basic protections for any pilot. Your union and company can always agree to something above it, but not below it. In other words, no more financing losing business plans or rising oil costs with pilot give backs . . . . . think like the Bar Assoc or the AMA . . . . or the Actors Guild, etc.

B6Driver said:
Years ago while jump seating to ORD on United in 1991, the captain of the united flight during our conversation about where I worked told me that my current airline, TWA was guilty of holding down the industry pay rates and if we would just go out of business, that it would help everyone's pay increase. I politely replied that I was sorry he felt that way but with all due respect, I wanted TWA to survive and I felt that he was out of line in saying that. He replied that I would just get on at United and things would be OK. I replied with, "sorry but you don't do the hiring at United and I was quite happy working at TWA and he was being a tad bit selfish.
The rest of the flight was a quiet one. Imagine that.
Now we move ahead 14 years.....................I would love to talk with that same captain.
Depending upon where you sit determines your view of the world around you.
Then and now I still think that guy was a jerk!

Sounds like the same UA Capt. that lectured me around that time. He said Am West (my employer at the time) was dragging down the industry and "airlines shouldn't be allowed to go Ch 11, they should just go away". Wonder how his tune has changed, now?

Ty Webb said:
Not now, we're not . . . . but if the other airlines follow UAL's "shining example". the PBGC will need a bailout . . . from Uncle Sam. And who is Uncle Sam?

You betcha.

Ty, your overzealous hatred of all things UAL, is amazing.

"shining example". Where was your outrage Ty, when USAir dumped there pensions? Or was that part of history conviently left out out?

I usually enjoy your acidic and to the point banter, but man you need to let go....

Best to ya Ty

Latest resources

Back