United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airbusnut1 said:
I don't see how letting an other airline go under works for anyone else but the competition. Are you saying that I should give up my job for the greater good of the rest of the industry, and then you all can enjoy the fruits of good times and enjoy your life, and I should feel all warm and fuzzy because your life is better at my expense.
Guess what Genuis, I worked long and hard to get where I am now, and what is in it for me?
The fact that you may want a good life in this industry meens nothing to me.
I want one too.
So get off your butt and work for it, don't expect me to roll over and give it to you,because you work for someone that is doing OK for the moment.
Your time on the other end of the pendulem will come.
Before you post some drivel like you just did, think about what the other end of the spectrum looks like before you start spouting off.
We all work for bettering our lives, And I'll be dammed if I will let some jerk off say on these boards that they deserve to have something that I have worked dang hard for, just because it's for the good of them,without a rebuttal.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?
Are you better than the rest of us?
Let it fly now folks. I'm ready for the replys

HA! HA! HA! Man, that's a good one. Sorry, my sympathy meter's pegged at zero. You guys turned your backs on PanAm, EAL and TWA--you were too busy upgrading to be bothered, and now you wonder why no one gives a crap about your exhalted career being in shambles.

My advice to you, son, is to get your resume together and start networking just like me and nearly 2,000 of my fellow TWA pilots who are on the street did when we lost our careers.

And, yes, I intend to be condescending. Just returning the favor.TC

The "shining example" United and I believe the other legacies will have to follow, is where the LCCs start with their retirement plans. The days of a healthy A AND B fund are gone forever. I point that out only because it is a little silly for some to point fingers and get POed when the legacy airlines shed compensation and benefits to compete. What did you think was going to happen? Common sense.
Again, I understand that defined benefit pensions are a thing of the past and would not be offering them in any business I'd start. I'm only pointing out the irony in someone who flies for a LCC begrudging what is taking place for the legacies to compete.

Thanks for pointing out United doesn't have to pay bills. I have been wondering what those operating expenses were on the 8-K filings. I guess they just get to make up a number and fill in that blank.

You guys turned your backs on PanAm, EAL and TWA--you were too busy upgrading to be bothered

Agreed, United pilots caused the demise of these airlines. We also turned our backs on all orphans, WWII veterans, and battered housewifes. Its that UAL pilot that B6Driver flew with in 1991 and Oldxfr8dog remembers - he is the ringleader and it is certainly intelligent to lump the whole group together.

Airbusnut1 said:
I don't see how letting an other airline go under works for anyone else but the competition. Are you saying that I should give up my job for the greater good of the rest of the industry, and then you all can enjoy the fruits of good times and enjoy your life, and I should feel all warm and fuzzy because your life is better at my expense.
Guess what Genuis, I worked long and hard to get where I am now, and what is in it for me?
The fact that you may want a good life in this industry meens nothing to me.
I want one too.
So get off your butt and work for it, don't expect me to roll over and give it to you,because you work for someone that is doing OK for the moment.
Your time on the other end of the pendulem will come.
Before you post some drivel like you just did, think about what the other end of the spectrum looks like before you start spouting off.
We all work for bettering our lives, And I'll be dammed if I will let some jerk off say on these boards that they deserve to have something that I have worked dang hard for, just because it's for the good of them,without a rebuttal.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?
Are you better than the rest of us?
Let it fly now folks. I'm ready for the replys

Did you ever wear one of those "TORQUE" pins? You know, the ones I used to see on so many UAL guys while they would lecture the CAL pilots to "fall on our swords for the good of the industry".

Last edited:
skykid said:
The "shining example" United and I believe the other legacies will have to follow, is where the LCCs start with their retirement plans. The days of a healthy A AND B fund are gone forever. I point that out only because it is a little silly for some to point fingers and get POed when the legacy airlines shed compensation and benefits to compete. What did you think was going to happen? Common sense.

Agreed. However with Billions in assets still on hand, UAL (or any other company) should be forced to liquidate such assets to fund their pension obligations prior to an outright default.

The bankruptcy laws need a major rewrite for this as pension underfunding will mirror the the S&L crisis of the 80's. The way it is now, only the employees (i.e. peons) get screwed.

Last edited:
Can we at least "pretend" to show some sort of compassion for peers that are going through bad/tragic life times in this industry.

To single out an entire Pilot group as A-holes, and scoff/cheer/narrate their career struggles because of some idiot at that same company was a jerk...... is ridiculous.

Here is a news flash... people are jerks in all walks of life, all the time, at all companies successful or failing.... we're all just pilots doing the SAME job.

Get over the vengeful/hateful/spiteful/ attitudes.... please.

Malcolm said:
Can we at least "pretend" to show some sort of compassion for peers that are going through bad/tragic life times in this industry.

To single out an entire Pilot group as A-holes, and scoff/cheer/narrate their career struggles because of some idiot at that same company was a jerk...... is ridiculous.

Here is a news flash... people are jerks in all walks of life, all the time, at all companies successful or failing.... we're all just pilots doing the SAME job.

Get over the vengeful/hateful/spiteful/ attitudes.... please.
WHOA!!!
Wait a minute! I have friends at UA and have been shown much professional courtesy by UA crews over the span of my career. Just because I display a little (juvenile) glee at the come-uppance of one sanctimonious jerk doesn't mean I condemn the entire group!
Actually, there has been a couple... But I still don't wish ill on the company.

I have to wonder if UA pilots would be in a much different position if they did not take the "lets kick 'em where it hurts" attitiude during the summer of 2000

I was flying out of DEN that summer and knew more than one business traveler that switched to F9 for good because they did not feel like they could rely on UAL.

I feel that work slow downs are counter-productive.. Vote to strike or don't--- but do the best job you know how until you vote!

Last edited:
Agreed. However with Billions in assets still on hand, UAL (or any other company) should be forced to liquidate such assets to fund their pension obligations prior to an outright default.

My guess is you will have a different outlook when it happens to you. With the way this industry goes, you are going to be fortunate, and I hope you are, for CAL not to go Ch11 for the 3rd time.

Not now, we're not . . . . but if the other airlines follow UAL's "shining example". the PBGC will need a bailout . . . from Uncle Sam. And who is Uncle Sam?

Over 1.5 billion gross a month, been around 80 years. How many times over and over and over do you think United has generated the tax revenue to pay for any future PBCG bailout? How bout just the last decade? Its unimaginable. How many months would it take while United is still operating to pay for it again? How many times over do you think United employees have paid in taxes for any PBCG shortfall? How about the other companies that have generated revenue because of United? If you want United to go under so you can feel superior or perceive you will have better job security, say so. The Uncle Sam bailout argument, esp when even the PBGC knows a surviving United helps their balance sheet, is weak.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of talk about a national union, (bar association...whatever). I may be wrong, but I think that is what the ship captains (as in ocean vessels) did to protect their jobs. The only thing they got for it, now most ships are registered in foreign countrys to avoid them. And our laws may not allow this for airplanes now, but if push came to shove, powerfull lobbyists could get that changed.

Latest resources

Back