United

labbats

Zulu who?
Total Time
I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, so I was looking to this board to help me understand something.

United is trying to exit bankruptcy through dumping its pensions. Wouldn't it be better for all involved for them to simply go under? I'm not saying this with malice, but even those who may lose their jobs would be better off if they still had a pension to begin with, and other airlines wouldn't see this as a loophole they could use to boost profits. Simply put, wouldn't it be a better overall answer for United to simply fold rather than set a precedent of pension raiding to overcome bankruptcy? People would lose their seniority and jobs, yes, and that is terrible, but the other option is everyone else in this industry losing their promised retirement.

JetScreamDriver

Total Time
3000+
Pensions?

I believe that US Air already set the precedent for dumping the pensions. The pension is a thing we will never see again on the large scale. Sure there are some still out there.

I can't see a benefit to UAL going under. Think about it, you have 20 years seniority, and 10 years left. There is no way it's better to start all over again at the bottom. You're not going to get a pension anywhere else!

Try to think of a benefit to your airline just going away.

We need to stick together as pilots. Not hope the other guy loses out so that we can benefit. It seems that pilots are pilots own worst enemy.

skykid

On Point
Total Time
I'm not saying this with malice, but even those who may lose their jobs would be better off if they still had a pension to begin with,

If United goes under the current and former employees still lose their pensions. It sounds like you think a liquidation would mean they get to keep pensions. They would be funded at the same level either way, only with a liquidation there are no replacement defined contribution type retirement plans.

People would lose their seniority and jobs, yes, and that is terrible, but the other option is everyone else in this industry losing their promised retirement.

The problem is, the trend is already no defined benefit pensions. I would opine that regardless of what happens to United, the legacies with pensions still have to deal with Frontier, Airtran, Southwest, and JetBlue, all of which have less expensive defined contribution plans. Of the LCCs I just mentioned, I hope Airtran's retirement plan will be the model - check out their B plan - very respectable, and head and shoulders above a matching 401K.

Airbusnut1

Total Time
enuf
I don't see how letting an other airline go under works for anyone else but the competition. Are you saying that I should give up my job for the greater good of the rest of the industry, and then you all can enjoy the fruits of good times and enjoy your life, and I should feel all warm and fuzzy because your life is better at my expense.
Guess what Genuis, I worked long and hard to get where I am now, and what is in it for me?
The fact that you may want a good life in this industry meens nothing to me.
I want one too.
So get off your butt and work for it, don't expect me to roll over and give it to you,because you work for someone that is doing OK for the moment.
Your time on the other end of the pendulem will come.
Before you post some drivel like you just did, think about what the other end of the spectrum looks like before you start spouting off.
We all work for bettering our lives, And I'll be dammed if I will let some jerk off say on these boards that they deserve to have something that I have worked Damn hard for, just because it's for the good of them,without a rebuttal.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?
Are you better than the rest of us?
Let it fly now folks. I'm ready for the replys

skykid

On Point
Total Time
Airbusnut, I don't think labbats post was meant to be mean spirited - look at how he starts off saying he is not the brightest bulb.

Fact is, people look out for their own best interests, and there are many hoping for the demise of others. Just look how much negative stuff is posted on here compared to positive. Whatever.

labbats

Zulu who?
Total Time
Airbusnut1 said:
I don't see how letting an other airline go under works for anyone else but the competition. Are you saying that I should give up my job for the greater good of the rest of the industry, and then you all can enjoy the fruits of good times and enjoy your life, and I should feel all warm and fuzzy because your life is better at my expense.
Guess what Genuis, I worked long and hard to get where I am now, and what is in it for me?
The fact that you may want a good life in this industry meens nothing to me.
I want one too.
So get off your butt and work for it, don't expect me to roll over and give it to you,because you work for someone that is doing OK for the moment.
Your time on the other end of the pendulem will come.
Before you post some drivel like you just did, think about what the other end of the spectrum looks like before you start spouting off.
We all work for bettering our lives, And I'll be dammed if I will let some jerk off say on these boards that they deserve to have something that I have worked dang hard for, just because it's for the good of them,without a rebuttal.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?
Are you better than the rest of us?
Let it fly now folks. I'm ready for the replys

Ready? Fire! Aim!

I saw this coming. I'll say it again. I just wanted to understand the big picture, and the media hasn't been much help to say the least. However, the above posts cleared it up. Thank you.

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Total Time
11000+
Airbusnut1 said:
I don't see how letting an other airline go under works for anyone else but the competition.

Well, buddy, you lost me here, because "letting your airline go under" would be preferable to letting it operate for years in bankruptcy, while the rest of us have to pay our bills.

KInd of like what the taxpayers might be saying to United, especially after getting saddled with your pension payments.

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Total Time
28 yrs
JetScreamDriver said:
I believe that US Air already set the precedent for dumping the pensions. The pension is a thing we will never see again on the large scale. Sure there are some still out there.

I can't see a benefit to UAL going under. Think about it, you have 20 years seniority, and 10 years left. There is no way it's better to start all over again at the bottom. You're not going to get a pension anywhere else!

Try to think of a benefit to your airline just going away.

We need to stick together as pilots. Not hope the other guy loses out so that we can benefit. It seems that pilots are pilots own worst enemy.

Our ALPA brothers and sisters blew it years ago when they couldn't come to grips with forming a real national seniority list.

A pilot with 20 years in and 10 left will do most anything to keep his/her job (paycuts, loss of pension, benefits, etc...). Jetscream is correct. These people don't want to start over again. When faced with the reality of taking a 50% paycut (still making $100k/yr), loss of pension, etc... OR starting over again at the bottom making $40k/yr and still no pension - what would you do? I'd try to save my $100k job with every ounce of strength. It $ucks, but it could be worse.

Cheers!

GP

Total Time
.5taxi
Well, well...I say let's checkin with reality. 6 UAL jets reposessed by creditors 2 weeks ago. US house voted NOT to allow PBCG to assume UAL's massive pension problem. Senate votes next week. The real mccoy will be show when UAL mgmt reports to the Court this week. I think the UAL problem has been in the making since the mid 90's. I was very suprised to hear that while making record profits in the 90's UAL was paying the bear minimum on pensions with borrowed money. labbats is on the right track.

koko nw

Total Time
enough
"KInd of like what the taxpayers might be saying to United, especially after getting saddled with your pension payments.[/QUOTE]"

Ty, Nice spin.....UAL along with other companies have been paying to the PBGC monies in order for the pensions to be insured, I believe it's called a premium. Sort of like your car insuraunce, albeit on a grander scale.

You nor the taxpayers are getting " saddled " with their pensions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

koko nw

Total Time
enough
787 said:
I was very suprised to hear that while making record profits in the 90's UAL was paying the bear minimum on pensions with borrowed money. labbats is on the right track.

You guy's kill me :)...Where did you get this stuff from?

Ralgha

Total Time
787 said:
Well, well...I say let's checkin with reality. 6 UAL jets reposessed by creditors 2 weeks ago. US house voted NOT to allow PBCG to assume UAL's massive pension problem.

Actually they voted to restrict the PBCG from using government money (ie taxes) to fund the pensions. Since the PBCG doesn't use government money anyway, it didn't mean much.

B6Driver

Total Time
10000+
Years ago while jump seating to ORD on United in 1991, the captain of the united flight during our conversation about where I worked told me that my current airline, TWA was guilty of holding down the industry pay rates and if we would just go out of business, that it would help everyone's pay increase. I politely replied that I was sorry he felt that way but with all due respect, I wanted TWA to survive and I felt that he was out of line in saying that. He replied that I would just get on at United and things would be OK. I replied with, "sorry but you don't do the hiring at United and I was quite happy working at TWA and he was being a tad bit selfish.
The rest of the flight was a quiet one. Imagine that.
Now we move ahead 14 years.....................I would love to talk with that same captain.
Depending upon where you sit determines your view of the world around you.
Then and now I still think that guy was a jerk!

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Total Time
11000+
Ty, Nice spin.....UAL along with other companies have been paying to the PBGC monies in order for the pensions to be insured, I believe it's called a premium. Sort of like your car insuraunce, albeit on a grander scale.

You nor the taxpayers are getting " saddled " with their pensions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Not now, we're not . . . . but if the other airlines follow UAL's "shining example". the PBGC will need a bailout . . . from Uncle Sam. And who is Uncle Sam?

You betcha.

seefive

Total Time
1. lawmakers voted not to let taxpayers pay for UAL pensions, not the PBGC. taxpayers won't be paying apparently.
2. national seniority list....yeah that's reasonable. why don't we just have national seniority list for every job in the US.
3. airbusnut.......you're not a bit stressed are you? takin' out a little anger on someone who doesn't understand your plight is a bit overboard for a message board.

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Total Time
11000+
seefive said:
national seniority list....yeah that's reasonable. why don't we just have national seniority list for every job in the US.

I don;t think you quite get it. It's not a national seniority list . . . it is a professional association that sets minimum pay and basic protections for any pilot. Your union and company can always agree to something above it, but not below it. In other words, no more financing losing business plans or rising oil costs with pilot give backs . . . . . think like the Bar Assoc or the AMA . . . . or the Actors Guild, etc.

oldxfr8dog

Total Time
Today?
B6Driver said:
Years ago while jump seating to ORD on United in 1991, the captain of the united flight during our conversation about where I worked told me that my current airline, TWA was guilty of holding down the industry pay rates and if we would just go out of business, that it would help everyone's pay increase. I politely replied that I was sorry he felt that way but with all due respect, I wanted TWA to survive and I felt that he was out of line in saying that. He replied that I would just get on at United and things would be OK. I replied with, "sorry but you don't do the hiring at United and I was quite happy working at TWA and he was being a tad bit selfish.
The rest of the flight was a quiet one. Imagine that.
Now we move ahead 14 years.....................I would love to talk with that same captain.
Depending upon where you sit determines your view of the world around you.
Then and now I still think that guy was a jerk!

Sounds like the same UA Capt. that lectured me around that time. He said Am West (my employer at the time) was dragging down the industry and "airlines shouldn't be allowed to go Ch 11, they should just go away". Wonder how his tune has changed, now?

koko nw

Total Time
enough
Ty Webb said:
Not now, we're not . . . . but if the other airlines follow UAL's "shining example". the PBGC will need a bailout . . . from Uncle Sam. And who is Uncle Sam?

You betcha.

Ty, your overzealous hatred of all things UAL, is amazing.

"shining example". Where was your outrage Ty, when USAir dumped there pensions? Or was that part of history conviently left out out?

I usually enjoy your acidic and to the point banter, but man you need to let go....

Best to ya Ty